UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mattel Ghostbusters figures

Since we already have threads for the Minimate and Kubrick versions, figure we should have a place to discuss the Mattel toys, as well. For now, we have this from NYCC:

http://imagehosting.nico-fernitz.com/plane...ycc-2009/11.jpg

I really don't like the "evil" face very much :(

Edited by karamazov80

Ghostbusters figures pics are now live:

Click here for Slimer and the rest

They look great, but I'm a little confused. The ones in the 2nd picture all look the same size, but. . .is the guy with the goggles supposed to be Venkman, or are there two Rays there (I really hope that it is the latter, because that does not look like Venkman to me)? It also looks like a couple of those is completely plastic (Egon, Ray in 3rd column, 2nd row), but others are wearing cloth outfits (Ray? in 3rd/4th columns, 1st row). What's going on here? Are we getting 2 versions of the 12 inch figures? I would buy all of them, but really hope that the cloth figure gets released by Mattycollector.

--edit: I just read elsewhere that the completely plastic ones are "2-ups" of the 6 inch versions.--

Edited by karamazov80

Slimer, Egon and Ray look great but Venkman really doesn't look like Bill Murray. Maybe it's the angle of the shot.

If you are looking at the same pictures that I was, I don't think any Venkman figures have been shown yet. There seem to be 2 Rays--1 12 inch version (the one with the cloth outfit), and one "2-up" of what will be the 6 inch version. The goggles give it away. I initially thought they had one of each of the 3, but I don't think that is the case anymore.

• 5 months later...

Venkman and Winston 12 inchers finally showed up. Venkman looks surprisingly good! I'm stumped as to why their Ray still sucks so bad:

IMG_9539__scaled_600.jpg

Based on that alone, I'm gonna have to pick up the whole set now.

Venkman and Winston 12 inchers finally showed up. Venkman looks surprisingly good! I'm stumped as to why their Ray still sucks so bad:

IMG_9539__scaled_600.jpg

Based on that alone, I'm gonna have to pick up the whole set now.

I'm down with the 6 inchers, not sure about the 12. I still haven't stepped into the price range for those yet. $60 is still alot IMO

Ah, I remember the old days, when $60 seemed like a lot of money. . .then some kind soul introduced me to Kubricks, and gave me a Sideshow gift card for me to get a 12 inch Luke Skywalker. It's all been downhill from there. Thanks a lot, fella :rolleyes:

:P

Edited by karamazov80

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, got the Rays in today. Headsculpt on the 6 incher is off, but OK. The 12 incher. . .well, he needs some work. I've already switched him to another body, replaced the elbow pads and gloves (because the wrist pegs wouldn't fit). Am currently waiting for a custom Ray head to come in the mail. The one he arrived with was completely unacceptable.

The proton pack and trap are awesome! But just about everything else. . .not great. Suit looks OK, but is thin and cheap. They even made the pants legs too short as a cost cutting move, which makes it look even cheaper. Oh, well.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my custom Ray. Just got the head in today.

DSCN2046-1.jpg

DSCN2045-1-1.jpg

Headsculpt by a Spaniard by the name of Vartal:

http://www.yourownhead.net/heads.html

Paintjob by a fella goes by the handle Saintsyn on the Sideshow Freaks boards, BBI body of some kind, generic black gloves and elbow pads. The rest is all Mattel, baby!

Yeah, after all is said and done, this one cost me about the same as a Hot Toys figure would have, but I figure it is worth it. As I posted before, the figure is unacceptable "as is." I opened him up, and immediately moved all his clothing and gear to a better body with no head. I just couldn't pose something like that in my home otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...

6" Winston is on sale now. I have spent over 30 minutes trying to buy him and I'm about to give up. Once I was finally able to get him in my cart, it kept denying my order. Mattel has got to figure something out on how their site works or they will eventually tick people off enough that they'll stop buying their products. Again.

edit-At the 40 minute mark of trying, it finally accepted my order. I suppose if it was the first month they were doing this I wouldn't be surprised, but after months of issues you'd think they'd have gotten this down to where this stuff doesn't happen.

Edited by groundhog7s