UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Predictions for NYCC 2009

Jatta Pake

I predict we will see a Marvel boxset exclusive based on Dark Reign announced at the NYCC. Why? Well, we got Civil War and Secret Invasion, the next logical set would be Dark Reign. It will go on sale at SDCC 2009.

I think the boxset will contain:

Female Loki

The Hood

New Thor

Daken Wolverine

What are your predictions?

Correction:

I think the boxset will contain:

Female Loki

New Thor

Daken Wolverine

Iron Patriot (Instead of Hood)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going purely on wishes, I am predicting an Excalibur set with:

-Captain Britain

-Shadowcat w/blue mask

-Nightcrawler (I love the old figure, but he deserves an update)

-Rachel/Phoenix (the "Thunderbird" of this set)

sorry Meggan, but someone had to be left out :(

Unfortunately, this set will never be made without substituting a Hulk, Spidey, or Wolverine somewhere, but I can dream. . .

I'm rooting for a War of Kings boxset. DST has released boxsets to tie in with major events in Marvel comics (Marvel Zombies, Civil War, Secret Invasion) but I also keep thinking about their past decision to make boxsets of off-kilter teams like the Defenders and Invaders, which at the time surprised a lot of collectors due to the variety of unique yet seminal characters in them (i.e. Namor, Bucky, Dr. Strange, android Human Torch).

I see some good odds for a War of Kings boxset for the following reasons:

-It's a current/upcoming comic crossover event

-It's a golden opportunity for DST to make minimates of characters we might otherwise never see in a regular wave, like the Starjammers and Inhumans (am still hoping DST would change their minds and release a Darkhawk minimate :()

A Dark Reign boxset can only work if it features enough SIGNIFICANTLY unique characters/variations of established characters. A Dark Avengers lineup, for example, can only work with Iron Patriot, Moonstone/Ms. Marvel, Noh-Varr and Ares since they're all pretty distinctive looks we don't have in Minimate form yet, otherwise the rest of the team (Daken, Gargan Black Spidey, Bullseye/Hawkeye, Sentry) are too similar to their equivalent versions to be considered feasible/viable. No offense, but the little kids DST currently market Minimates toward will probably NEVER appreciate the difference between Daken and Wolverine.

Edited by NorthRaider

A Dark Reign boxset can only work if it features enough SIGNIFICANTLY unique characters/variations of established characters. A Dark Avengers lineup, for example, can only work with Iron Patriot, Moonstone/Ms. Marvel, Noh-Varr and Ares since they're all pretty distinctive looks we don't have in Minimate form yet, otherwise the rest of the team (Daken, Gargan Black Spidey, Bullseye/Hawkeye, Sentry) are too similar to their equivalent versions to be considered feasible/viable. No offense, but the little kids DST currently market Minimates toward will probably NEVER appreciate the difference between Daken and Wolverine.

I would think just the opposite. The reason that box set would be more feasible than, say, the one I suggested (and please note that my only knowledge of "Dark Reign" is from the talk of it on this forum) would be because it had figures that looked similar to famous characters like Wolvie or Spidey.

I would think just the opposite. The reason that box set would be more feasible than, say, the one I suggested (and please note that my only knowledge of "Dark Reign" is from the talk of it on this forum) would be because it had figures that looked similar to famous characters like Wolvie or Spidey.

Yeah, but the variations have to look DIFFERENT enough from previous releases to work. Look at Iron Spidey in the Civil War boxset. Gargan Spiderman is basically Black Spidey with a powerhouse chest (boring) while Bulleye/Hawkeye's costume is almost - and probably intentionally - IDENTICAL to the original (pointless). Sentry... come on, we already got him.

I will concede though that Daken CAN be a considerable choice for a Dark Avengers set. Between his more subdued costume, unique claw configuration (which will probably be Hell to scuplt on those minimate hands) and weird ponyhawk hairdo, yeah, he might work. And I think it goes without saying that Iron Patriot, Moonstone Ms. Marvel and Marvel Boy are strong contenders in themselves.

DST mentioned in a Q&A before that they probably wouldn't make Young Avengers, but that was almost a year ago... hopefully by now they'll be a concrete possibility. Even better if Marvel will actually make good use of them in the comics besides background noise and cannon fodder.

Edited by NorthRaider

We'll se Marvel waves 25, 26 & the long anticipated wave 27(prototypes only). There may be mention or controll art for Marvel waves 28 & 29. Boxed shots of Terminator 2 army builders and prototypes of Terminator 2 wave one. And perhaps a boxed set or two of Marvel teams (Dark Avengers & X-men).

Edited by MINI_MYTE

A possibility for waves 28 and beyond:

We can never have enough Thors, right? And isn't Marvel Studios planning on doing a Thor movie soon? Maybe we'll get a future Thor movie wave.

Edited by NorthRaider

Yeah, but the variations have to look DIFFERENT enough from previous releases to work. Look at Iron Spidey in the Civil War boxset. Gargan Spiderman is basically Black Spidey with a powerhouse chest (boring) while Bulleye/Hawkeye's costume is almost - and probably intentionally - IDENTICAL to the original (pointless). Sentry... come on, we already got him.

I would personally prefer to get all different-looking variations in these box sets, but DST seems constantly torn between their desire to release obscure and cool one-off characters and variations, and their commercial need to release Spidey/Wolvie/Hulk/Iron Man/Cap that may look different from previous releases, but not that much. As such, we very rarely get any kind of box set without at least one of those guys.

http://minimatedatabase.com/series.php?i=38

http://minimatedatabase.com/series.php?i=106

http://minimatedatabase.com/series.php?i=107

http://minimatedatabase.com/series.php?i=39

(the only two sets I notice without any of those guys is the Punisher movie set and the bad guys set). As such, if they did the Dark Reign set, I would place serious money on getting a "dark" version of at least one well known character.

Noted, but it's not like the Spiderman/Wolverine(/Iron Man/Hulk/Cap) In Every Set Rule is set in stone... or is it?

Let's just say that whatever lineup DST chooses for a Dark Avengers boxset, it better NOT include BullHawkseye and Sentry. Happy? :P

Edited by NorthRaider

Noted, but it's not like the Spiderman/Wolverine(/Iron Man/Hulk/Cap) In Every Set Rule is set in stone... or is it?

It seems like they adhere to that rule more than they do to the "every set will include one character not used before or after" rule :D

Like I said before, I don't know much about this comic, but if you don't want BullHawkeye and Sentry, then neither do I!*

*except that I would want any possible Hawkeye variation that could be released :)

It seems like they adhere to that rule more than they do to the "every set will include one character not used before or after" rule :D

Correction: I mean a commercially-viable newbie-friendly Spidey/Wolvie lookalike in every set (meaning Dark Avengers boxset will contain Gargan Spidey and Daken for sure <_<) versus a variant and lineup that actually makes sense (Iron Patriot and any three characters we do NOT have Minimates of yet :woot:) Either way the chances of Sentry/Bullhawkseye being included are slim.

All I know is if we get Iron Patriot in a Dark Reign-related boxset then that's good enough for me. I have only two things left to say to DST on this matter:

1. Surprise me.

2. MAKE FRICKIN' BLACK BOLT ALREADY!!! :wacko:

I'm rooting for a War of Kings boxset. DST has released boxsets to tie in with major events in Marvel comics (Marvel Zombies, Civil War, Secret Invasion) but I also keep thinking about their past decision to make boxsets of off-kilter teams like the Defenders and Invaders, which at the time surprised a lot of collectors due to the variety of unique yet seminal characters in them (i.e. Namor, Bucky, Dr. Strange, android Human Torch).

-It's a golden opportunity for DST to make minimates of characters we might otherwise never see in a regular wave, like the Starjammers and Inhumans (am still hoping DST would change their minds and release a Darkhawk minimate :()

what he said.

what he said.

We definitely need a Dark Avengers box set; shame i won't see it announced, if they do, on Friday. :(

We'd need:

Iron Patriot

Marvel Boy (love that suit)

Daken Wolvie

Ms. Marvel/Moonstone (best Ms. Marvel costume ever)

Ares

But we'd get:

Iron Patriot

Daken Wolvie

Gargan Spidey

Ms. Marvel/Moonstone

Some DA character i'm sure we'll see in coming issues that we'd care less about

If they just went DR in general:

Iron Patriot

FemLoki

Cabal Emma (new, West-side X-suit)

Hood??

I seriously doubt we get any Dark Avengers or even War of Kings

It is too new...not enough time to design and get on the shelves.

My guess is a box set of the original x men (the one that was hinted last year)

Not sure about the "shocking" announcement.... um gi joe, star wars, he man, dc? yea those are the ones that would shock me....although i dont think there is a fart in a windstorms chance for any of them.

The that makes sense...um TNG?

Control art, maybe? Surely even without War of Kings coming up, DST had considered Inhumans minimates at some point? :mellow:

Not sure about the "shocking" announcement.... um gi joe, star wars, he man, dc? yea those are the ones that would shock me....although i dont think there is a fart in a windstorms chance for any of them.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles then! :rolleyes:

Uh, Robocop? Disney? Sherlock Holmes? David Bowie? God help us all if the "shocking" news really is the cancellation of BSG and Star Trek.

Maybe they're finally releasing the wave 15 Ghost Rider minimates/s (pffft, yeah right! :teehee:)

Or an epic new boxset with six minimates in it. Or a limited-edition fully-articulated Maximate.

Or Jubilee.

I would love to see a Dark Avengers or War of Kings set. However, a GI Joe wave or Transformers wave would be rather surprising. Given the slate of movies coming out this summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see their shock annoncement be related to one of these blockbusters. Plus, AA already has a relationship with Hasbro as a result of some of the Transformers busts they've created.

Maybe the shocking announcement will be that they've purchased Shocker Toys and the entire Shockini line - meaning people will finally get 2" figures of Madman, Shadowhawk and Dick Tracy :biggrin:. That would be shocking!

What would shock me?

DC mates.

A plastic, articulated Maximate Galactus and Sentinel.

A set with Electro, Lizard, Vulture, Six-Armed Spidey, Morbius and Jackal.

And another set with Kang, Falcon, Black Panther, and some other big choices of mine.

Indy mates of Madman, Hellboy, Savage Dragon.

An Inhumans set. Not just Black Bolt. The core family of 'em.

Edited by Mystery Man