UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Diamond's top sellers for 2008

Your trivia for the day:

Diamond (Distribution, not Select Toys) just released their list of the top 100 selling toys in 2008, calculated by retail dollar sales.

At number 40: Marvel Minimates wave 20

At number 42: Marvel minimates wave 19

And, at number 82: DC Minimates wave 7

Considering that probably half of the stuff on the list was linked to either Batman or Iron Man, with movies supporting that product, this isn't a bad showing for our scrappy little 2" heroes.

Wave 20 being a better seller than Wave 19 is news to me. I thought 19 was a strong wave. (Maybe it was all the Hawkeye fanboys who pushed 20 up a few notches :P)

Considering that Bigbadtoystore are showing remaining stocks of 67 sets (8) of Wave 20 & 33 sets (8) of Wave 19 .....I would agree with you Northraider .....although Wave 20 is $7 cheaper than Wave 19.

Both are on the clearance list.

Considering that Bigbadtoystore are showing remaining stocks of 67 sets (8) of Wave 20 & 33 sets (8) of Wave 19 .....I would agree with you Northraider .....although Wave 20 is $7 cheaper than Wave 19.

Both are on the clearance list.

Hmm, I'm starting to get this funny feeling whenever "Minimates" and "Clearance" appear in the same discussion. :ermm:

How do you find out remaining stocks of an item on BBTS anyway? Been trying to check some of the minimates they have on sale there, couldn't find a useful-looking link.

How do you find out remaining stocks of an item on BBTS anyway? Been trying to check some of the minimates they have on sale there, couldn't find a useful-looking link.

No easy way. Their website is pretty crappy in that "out of stock" items will remain in your searches until, I guess, someone working there decides to delete them permanently.

If you want to check the number of items in stock for an "in-stock" item, you can probably put a random high number in, and see if it lets you check out. When it starts letting you check out with a given number, and if you cannot check out with the number above it, then you can presume that this is the amount that they have in stock.

Edited by karamazov80

If you want to check the number of items in stock for an "in-stock" item, you can probably put a random high number in, and see if it lets you check out. When it starts letting you check out with a given number, and if you cannot check out with the number above it, then you can presume that this is the amount that they have in stock.

You're right: there is no easy way. I was really just browsing (don't have a BBTS account) and it would have been nice to gauge the popularity of a given item/line by checking their stocks. Oh well, what can you do.

Back on topic: I'm curious as to what other Minimate waves were big sellers aside from Marvel 19-20 and DC 7. I also wish the sales for the BSG minimates last year really weren't THAT dismal enough for DST to merit their cancellation, but as all the BSG mates are on BBTS clearance perhaps they weren't kidding. Damn, I chose the absolute WORST time to develop a liking to Battlestar Galactica (I was just considering starting out on this line now that I'm addicted to the old episode reruns on our local cable :()

Back on topic: I'm curious as to what other Minimate waves were big sellers aside from Marvel 19-20 and DC 7.

Having studied 'Statistics' at Business School ( :ohmy: ) the first thing I learnt was that statistically statistics can be manipulated by statisticians. Bearing that in mind I would almost guarantee (only for example) that DSS was a 'sell out' purely because of the numbers manufactured. 'Numbers manufactured' is very much the operative/secretive word with AA/ DST. Most DC Waves were produced in numbers of 5000 ,far more so than Marvel Waves & very rarely discounted. BSG/ST Waves were over-manufactured & therefore became unviable .