UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Spirit Mates on AA website

I've never read Will Eisner's original series, but the current DC one was a lot of fun when Darwyn Cooke was on it. He left after issue 12 I think (and since then it's gone downhill) but I'd highly recommend those first few. The book and the character don't take themselves too seriously, unlike the movie :ermm: . Like I said, I'm glad this mate's smiling...

Anybody else thinking that maybe DST/Minimates need a better PR/Promotions team? It's getting pretty old watching a Minimate line die because of lack of consumer interest.

Not trying to suck up or anything, but I think DST is pretty on the ball when it comes to PR and promotions. They're more open and communicative with fans than a lot of toy companies, and they generally give it to us straight. I don't think it's a matter of poor marketing – most of these lines that are cancelled are solicited far in advance of release and up for preorder at every major online store, same as every other toy line. Retailers are only going to stock them if 1) it's a sure bet seller (which many Minimate licenses are not) 2) previous waves have sold through (which, apparently, many Minimate licenses do not) or 3) they get enough preorders. Short of a major national advertising campaign, I can't think of much else DST can do to let people know about these.

Now, you could call into question DST's wisdom in selecting licenses. Are they sticking with winners, or picking weird crap they should know better than trying to market?

With Minimates, the bottom line is the Marvel license is the flagship and will pretty predictably sell the best. Superhero lines are supported pretty widely across the boy's toys spectrum – slap Spidey on something, and it will probably sell. The other thing is, toys are still a very big-box-store oriented industry. Big boxes want sure bets like Spidey, not weird crap like old movies and cable shows. That DST has managed to stay profitable selling obscure, low-general-demand licenses to a very niche audience is commendable.

DST has made a lot of efforts to bring "fan favorite" kind of stuff into a viable retail environment. Sometimes it catches, sometimes it doesn't. But they take risks on stuff Hasbro and Mattel wouldn't touch, and seem to be a lot healthier than other companies their size who take on risky licenses.

Matt, same address as always for the check. ;)

Edited by Lobsterman

I love this set! More so than the "Sin City-ized" boxset that's being released to support the movie, this is the true Spirit as he should be seen. For those of you that haven't read an original Spirit comic, you're missing out on one of the true greats. Look around for some of the various reprints that are available and see what Will Eisner did with his creation. Some truly fun stuff for those of you that would be new to the fold.

Seriously though...six months ago you hear Frank Miller is doing a comic book movie with a comic icon , with Eva Mendez, Scarlet Johansen, yeah why wouldn't you jump at the chance at the license??? I mean who the hell could have guessed it would be THIS BAD!!

Now having made that decision, they have to go forward with it and for that reason alone, I just might buy this damn boxset!

I mean no one wants to be the guy who passed on making toys for Star Wars....ie mego.

moc847

Wanted to pick up the newer Spirit comic a while back, but i like starting things at Number 1, not 27. As you can see, back issues started at around there. :(

Loving these minimates. They look so much better than the movie ones (although Octi looks to-die-for ;) ) and i LOVE the BD Spirit. I have plans for that torso in the future.

Gotta say though, i feel that after 1-2 weeks, if these land on shelves, they'll be pegwarmers for everyone but customizers. they just aren't the mates you go after when things like Marvel are out there. Of course, we could stick them next to Superhero Squad; i'm sure they'd sell then. ;)

Hey, that gives me a BSG idea. Hey Hasbro!! ;)

I absolutely, positively, cannot wait for these. This is the best Minimate news in ages. All of you naysayers out there should consider one thing: All of the comics shops that order Marvel (and ordered DC) Minimates but don't regularly order the non-comics ones will probably get these. Look at this as a test bubble for more Indiemates. If these do well, maybe DST will look at doing sets from Hellboy, Grendel, ect.

And if you're a comic book fan that has never read the Spirit, shame on you!!!

I absolutely, positively, cannot wait for these. This is the best Minimate news in ages. All of you naysayers out there should consider one thing: All of the comics shops that order Marvel (and ordered DC) Minimates but don't regularly order the non-comics ones will probably get these. Look at this as a test bubble for more Indiemates. If these do well, maybe DST will look at doing sets from Hellboy, Grendel, ect.

Umm...how is this an Indiemate stepping stone?? DC owns The Spirit, not and Indy comic. I hope you knew that...

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Umm...how is this an Indiemate stepping stone?? DC owns The Spirit, not and Indy comic. I hope you knew that...

Maybe he's referring to the mainstream obscurity/hardcore comic fandom factor here. If the comic Spirit sets sell, then that might bode well for sets of other similarly not-quite-as-well-known-as-DC/Marvel properties like Hellboy, etc.

I'll pick these up if they make it out, but mostly because The Spirit should make a good custom Question.

Just what I was thinking! Although I'll probably go the lazy quick-customs route and give the Spirit mate the same Vic Sage "faceless mask" makeover as DCD Renee Montoya :lol:

Edited by NorthRaider

Actually I believe that Will Eisner's estate ownes the rights to the Spirit.

DC licensed the character to do the new comics and signed a distribution deal to rerelease the old Spirit newspaper strips. The older strips have been published by several publishers over the years (Harvey Comics, Warren, Kitchen Sink Press, DC, etc.).

Edited by hypno

If these do well, maybe DST will look at doing sets from Hellboy, Grendel, ect.

With the exception of DC Mates, Hellboy would be, by far, the Minimates that I'm dieing to see made.

The Spirit Mates look pretty good and will make nifty additions to the comic-mate shelf. I'm probably going to pick up a couple of sets so that I can make a more accurate version of the Question. The Rene version still gives me the hebee-gebees.

• 4 months later...

I think this would have sold better than the movie ones, and I'm sure that the (lack of) movie Spirit sales are the reason why these are apparently canceled. Too bad, but as fwooshy says, not very surprising.

altho i only have battle damaged spirit and octopus, i thought the movie ones were cool! i thought the ladies were kind of lame, i was able to buy just the two. I thought the regular movie spirit was really well done and would love to find him, but i'm not about to buy that 4 pack just for him.

The comic ones looked fun, but I gotta say, i think the movie ones looked better, i thought they wre more detailed.

That's sad news, though I can't say that it really surprises me. I think that they should have pushed these just before the movie and movie'mates. Perhaps someone will champion these and offer them as an exclusive...it's Will Eisner for cry'in out loud!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gloryforixseal

theres ours i guess..i dont THINK its on there.

We do that Not ANOTHER comic podcast thing where we look at silver age comics in chrnonological order and ITS KILLING ME arg - Marvel DID not start out so hot..