UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

music...and you...

entertheninja!

All time favorite: Electric Eels

2nd:Simply Saucer

3rd:Johnny Thunders

4th:The Clash

5th:The Fugs

Honorable mentions: Velvet Underground, Rocket From The Tombs, DMZ, Oblivians, Pere Ubu, Dead Boys, T.Rex (my favorite band before Electric Eels),Mother Love Bone, Question Mark and the Mysterians, Black Flag (my favorite band before I heard T.Rex) etc...

Edited by super spider piggy

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Minimate I applaud you! Green Day's new album is anthem;my favorite tracks are "Viva La Gloria","21st Century Breakdown", and "Song of the Century". I think it might have to do with both of us being the younger ones but I still try to be open to all musical genres. And Deadpool, I respect your taste but you seriously have a Kanye West song on your list! I stopped listening to Kanye after "Graduation" where all he did was hock songs from other artists...but that's my opinion...=)

Edited by entertheninja!

Captain Minimate I applaud you! Green Day's new album is anthem;my favorite tracks are "Viva La Gloria","21st Century Breakdown", and "Song of the Century". I think it might have to do with both of us being the younger ones but I still try to be open to all musical genres. And Deadpool, I respect your taste but you seriously have a Kanye West song on your list! I stopped listening to Kanye after "Graduation" where all he did was hock songs from other artists...but that's my opinion...=)

You can't knock Kanye, when Green Day is your "anthem". :yucky:

Green Day will do anything as long is it makes the popular, and sadly their targeted age group is "the kiddies", so doing anything is basically making them look like "rebellious rockers".

Unlike Green Day and many other artists, Kanye takes time to write his songs, and doesn't throw out random crap hoping to get a "radio hit".

But that's just my opinion. :yes:

Green Day will do anything as long is it makes the popular, and sadly their targeted age group is "the kiddies", so doing anything is basically making them look like "rebellious rockers".

Unlike Green Day and many other artists, Kanye takes time to write his songs, and doesn't throw out random crap hoping to get a "radio hit".

He also can't sing too well for himself.

Huh, I'm a bit surprised I've never read this thread before :P. Anyhow, here's my list. Top ones in bold.

Bela Fleck

Ben Harper

Benevento/Russo Duo

Black Sabbath

Bob Marley

Buckethead

C2B3

DangerDoom

Del tha Funky Homosapian

Disco Biscuits

Easy Star All Stars

Flaming Lips

Frank Zappa

Gorillaz

Gov't Mule

Grateful Dead

Iron Maiden

Jimi Hendrix

Josh Ritter

Keller Williams

King Crimson

Korn

Led Zeppelin

Les Claypool

Lotus

Megadeath

Metallica

Moe.

Mudvayne

Perfect Circle

Phish

Pink Floyd

Primus

Radiohead

Rage against the Machine

Red Hot Chili Peppers

RjD2

Rush

Sausage

StS9

String Cheese Incident

System of a Down

Tool

Umphrey's Mcgee

Yes

Yonder Mountain String Band

.....and that's most of the stuff I own, obviously there's a whole lot more that I like. Music and minimates are my collective sanity.

No Dave Matthews Band, Jack Jonhson, Ben Harper, Phish? Am I the only near hippy here? Maybe it's a west coast thing... Course being in Seattle gotta love Pear Jam, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Blind Melon, Black Crowes.

I'm with you man!

Edited by Randymarsh

here's all the bands I own stuff from (most of their complete discographies):

a fire inside

a life once lost

ABACABB

acacia strain

agoraphobic nosebleed

alexisonfire

alice in chains

all that remains

amon amarth

animosity

architects

arsonists get all the girls

as I lay dying

atreyu

august burns red

austrian death machine

the banner

baroness

beneath the massacre

between the buried and me

black dahlia murder

the bled

bleeding through

blood brothers

botch

the breathing process

bring me the horizon

bury your dead

carnifex

circle takes the square

coal chamber

coalesce

coheed and cambria

converge

cursive

dance club massacre

dangerdoom

darkest hour

dark tranquillity

dashboard confessional

daughters

dead to fall

death by stereo

death cab for cutie

deftones

the demonstration

despised icon

devildriver

the dillinger escape plan

dr. acula

ed gein

embrace the end

emmure

eternal lord

evergreen terrace

everytime I die

exotic animal petting zoo

the faceless

the faint

faith no more

fantomas

fear before the march of flames

first blood

flight of the conchords

foxboro hot tubs

from first to last

from the shallows

genghis tron

ghostlimb

ghosts of a fallen age

give up the ghost

glassjaw

gnarls barkley

gorillaz

graf orlock

graves of valor

the great deceiver

the haunted

he is legend

head wound city

hero destroyed

hester prynne

heavy heavy low low

himsa

horse the band

i set my friends on fire

ill nino

in flames

into the moat

the irish front

it dies today

job for a cowboy

the killers

killswitch engage

killwhitneydead

knights of the abyss

lamb of god

leathermouth

liferuiner

light this city

the lonely island

marilyn manson

martyr ad

mastodon

misery signals

modest mouse

moria

most precious blood

mr. bungle

mudvayne

murderdolls

mushroomhead

nachtmystium

nights like these

nora

norma jean

the number 12 looks like you

oceano

parkway drive

peeping tom

portugal the man

the postal service

prayer for cleansing

premonitions of war

psyopus

queens of the stone age

the red chord

remembering never

rilo kiley

rush

scarlet

see you next tuesday

shadows fall

she & him

sky eats airplane

slayer

slipknot

smashing pumpkins

soulfly

static-x

stick to your guns

strapping young lad

suicide silence

three inches of blood

this is hell

through the eyes of the dead

tomahawk

the tony danza tap dance extravaganza

tool

torche

underoath

unearth

the used

van halen

veil of maya

whitechapel

winds of plague

winter solstice

yeah yeah yeahs

zao

and those are just the bands I actually OWN stuff from.

IMO, "21st Century Breakdown" and "American Idiot" totally suck. Green Day has gone WAY too mainstream and they're almost pop-punk. They've started doing friggin' power ballads (Boulevard of Broken Dreams and 21 Guns), they've lost all of their hardcore-ness(Is that a word?), and they dress like emo pussies:

1994: gd1994.jpg

NOW:1241378164-green_day-gal.jpg

I'll play for real now (and see if anybody really recognizes anyone I listen to):

Steve Taylor

tobymac

Third Day

Casting Crowns

Mercy Me

Newsboys

Bride

Wow. I can honestly say I've never heard of any of those bands. I am so out of touch :(

I know Taylor Dane, and Steven Tyler, and James Taylor, and Steve Perry, but no Steve Taylor.

I know Counting Crows (unfortunately), but no Casting Crowns

I know the Pet Shop Boys, Beastie Boys, Beach Boys, and Girls Against Boys, but no Newsboys

I even know Marcy Playground and Marvin Gaye, but no Mercy Me

as for Green Day's new stuff, I don't like what I've heard, but I loved their older stuff when I was in high school. Coming home to play Mortal Kombat II and listening to Dookie. . .good times.

I like Kanye West but he can not yet begin to hold a candle to Green Day. Green Day does not just write songs they write concept albums. American Idiot is the greatest rock record of this young century. Having seen both live I can attest to the stage presence of Billie Joe Armstrong. He is a fucking general on the stage, all he would need to do is give the order and the crowds would take to the streets. It is like no show I have ever seen. Green Day writes socially conscious songs that are accessible to people that is why they are all over the radio. To say that their targeted group is "the kiddies" is ridiculous. What song is it you think is trying to appeal to "the kiddies"? Have you listened to American Idiot? That album alone targets religion, the government, the media and basically any other group that tries to do your thinking for you. So if they were targeting a young audience they are doing it with the message think for yourself. I like Kanye West but he has a long way to go to deserve being mentioned in the same breath as Green Day.

IMO, "21st Century Breakdown" and "American Idiot" totally suck. Green Day has gone WAY too mainstream and they're almost pop-punk. They've started doing friggin' power ballads (Boulevard of Broken Dreams and 21 Guns), they've lost all of their hardcore-ness(Is that a word?), and they dress like emo pussies:

1994: gd1994.jpg

NOW:1241378164-green_day-gal.jpg

It's hard to take anything you say about music seriously because you listen to Slipknot.

I'll play for real now (and see if anybody really recognizes anyone I listen to):

Steve Taylor

tobymac

Third Day

Casting Crowns

Mercy Me

Newsboys

Bride

My little brother is a youth pastor he listens to a lot of those bands. He actually know a couple of the guys from Casting Crowns from college.

no one likes rammstein?

nope.

I like Kanye West but he can not yet begin to hold a candle to Green Day.

you are comparing apples and oranges right now.

I mean, they're both musical artists, but um... comparing sub-par (IMO) pop-punk and hip hop (or whatever kanye is considered) is absurd.

that's essentially like saying celine dion is better (or worse) than the beastie boys, or that mcdonalds is a better restaurant than red lobster.

same ballpark, but the argument is kind of null.

I like Kanye West but he can not yet begin to hold a candle to Green Day.

you are comparing apples and oranges right now.

I mean, they're both musical artists, but um... comparing sub-par (IMO) pop-punk and hip hop (or whatever kanye is considered) is absurd.

that's essentially like saying celine dion is better (or worse) than the beastie boys, or that mcdonalds is a better restaurant than red lobster.

same ballpark, but the argument is kind of null.

Lot of Green Day haters on this board. I don't see how any comparison that I did make is that outlandish. Just because they are not in the same genre does not mean that they can not be compared. I'm sure that we can all agree that The Dark Knight is a far better movie than Ernest Goes to Jail? Both are movies although not in the same genre.

I'm sure that we can all agree that The Dark Knight is a far better movie than Ernest Goes to Jail?

Hey Vern, speak for yourself. Jim Varney would totally whup Heath Ledger if they were both still alive.

I can honestly say I've never heard of any of those bands.

There's a good chance you've heard some of their stuff, just had no clue who it was.

I'm also a lifelong fan of Weird Al if that helps. When I was young(er), my uncle sent me a tape of the Dr. Demento Show that just happened to be when Weird Al debuted his first song on there. I've been a fan ever since. Through my childhood, I listed to his albums more than anything. I haven't bought any fo several years now, but listen to whatever new stuff he puts out when I can find it. He is one of the most under-appreciated musicians out there (IMO) and has managed to progress with the times more than most real artists. I've said it before (and will say it again) I would love to see the day when we have an Al Minimate.

I try not to hate on others music too much, most of it I can respect what they do. The only thing that really grinds my gears is stupid overproduced, overplayed, and overhyped pop music from boy bands, brittney spears, or anything in between. I also hate Nickelback. Other than that, listen to what you wanna listen to, and though I may prefer old green day to new, that opinion can change with just one listen to just one song. It's all subjective.

I really don't want to entangle myself in the genre flame war here so I'm just gonna do my own thing and say:

I miss Soundgarden. :(

Specifically, I once heard "Blow Up The Outside World" on the radio this summer and just got transported to another dimension or something. I don't know whether I'm a sucker for grunge in general or for Chris Cornell's voice, but hearing that song to me felt like falling in love with rock music all over again. And then I realize I only have Superunknown on CD and am now depressed by the fact that I have to track down their other albums (and some Audioslave :sweat:) on top of saving up for the upcoming mates this year. <_<

Also, like every other hipster in my country I've become enamored with the music of

. (They were once featured on the BBC! :P)

AhemAhem mr Punisher I never said Green Day was my anthem, I said they were anthem, or in other words epic...I like the CD but they arent my favorites. I like The Killers and am proud to say they are my favorite band...oh and if you want to see something funny about Kanye check this out, and keep in mind discretion is advised=):

oh and NorthRaider there isnt a war its a debate

Edited by entertheninja!

Haha, I loved that episode of South Park. I think you may have misunderstood my tone. I don't hate Green Day or you for liking Green Day. I just personally think that their whole image is just for show.

The Killers are a great band. I have bought all of their CDs to support them. :)

Back to "music...and you...". :D

A year or two ago if you would have asked me what kind of music I like, I would have said Alt. and Punk rock, and nothing else. Now I like all kinds of music. Rap, Indie, 70's-80's.

As long as it isn't Country or like randymarsh said "overproduced, overplayed, and overhyped pop music from boy bands, brittney spears, or anything in between" I'll like it.

I also hate Nickelback and the Nickelback wannabes like Daughtry and Three Days Grace.

What kind of music does everybody else listen too? :D

Edited by the punisher=D

You guys should all go buy Steve Earle's Train A Comin' It is cheap, and it is a revelation.

Track samples can be heard here. See, Texas is good for something!

Another essential album is the Modern Jazz Quartet's Django. Nobody in jazz can get your feet tapping at low decibels the way that Lewis, Jackson, Heath, and Clarke can.

Edited by karamazov80

Muse announced that their new album "The Resistance" will come out in September! Yay I'm ecstatic I love Muse! They sing good songs and sing about the truth of all the unexplainable stuff that goes on in the world. And matthew bellamy's vocals are far out. Anyone else listen to Muse? If so why do you like them and what's your favorites by them?!

Muse announced that their new album "The Resistance" will come out in September! Yay I'm ecstatic I love Muse! They sing good songs and sing about the truth of all the unexplainable stuff that goes on in the world. And matthew bellamy's vocals are far out. Anyone else listen to Muse? If so why do you like them and what's your favorites by them?!

Nice!!!, I love Muse,best concept album is absolution!!, every song ,every verse, every second was sheer musical bliss!

definitely on my music buying list

favorite songs excluding the absolution album: plug me baby, showbiz, muscle museum, new born, maps of Problematique, and starlight(the gwen stefani version :P ,never heard it look it up on youtube!)

why I like em, the vocals are the best, I call him one of the best singer alive!, and the guitars and bass are just the mindblowing!

I only own two of Muse's albums myself (Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations) but I agree that the band is all kinds of awesome. Plus I hear Bellamy's a pretty good head of crazy himself: I mean, the guys into astronomy and conspiracy theories and stuff. How awesome is that? ;)

Am hoping to track down their older albums now, especially the one that had "Megalomaniac" on it. Epic.

I only own two of Muse's albums myself (Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations) but I agree that the band is all kinds of awesome. Plus I hear Bellamy's a pretty good head of crazy himself: I mean, the guys into astronomy and conspiracy theories and stuff. How awesome is that? ;)

Am hoping to track down their older albums now, especially the one that had "Megalomaniac" on it. Epic.

isn't megalomaniac a incubus song?

Oh right, it's just "Megalomania" without the "c" :sweat: Apologies

But on that note, "Megalomaniac" was such a wicked cool song too. Almost makes me wish Incubus was still doing mostly funk rock or metal or whatever it was they used to do before they switched to all those ballads... What does everybody think of Incubus? :lol: