UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 23 and 24

maxcarnage

I'm obviously a little late on the bandwagon, but I was wondering if anyone could answer me this:

I got the full Wave 24 set (including Rhodey), and the Tarantula variant set from Wave 23 from my local comic shop. Is it worth it to buy the other three sets from Wave 23, considering that I already obtained the TRU editions? Keep in mind that I was a person who giddily bought and loved the TRU SF2 'Mates, even after I had the regular release--and I bought the Hulk & Abomination 2-pack at TRU, even after I acquired their respective widespread debut.

So, I'll buy the redundant Wave 23 guys if they're different enough from their Toys R Us counterparts. Perhaps different shading, better paint apps, shifted details, etc.

In conclusion, are they different enough? :confused:

I bought the TRU editions when they came out. I already pre-ordered the wave, so when I got them I compared them. There are not really any differences that I could see, except paint mess-ups,etc(the usual stuff). The Street Fighter sets had different colored skins and varying shades of paint to make them different enough. So if you got the variants don't worry about picking up the rest(unless you need custom fodder).

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TRU red/blue Spidey had a great paint job on his face mask BUT had the plastic seam (the seam that splits the mask right down the middle, ya dig?) running off-center of the mask, so it distracts from it.

The comic shop version I got of this one has a perfect seam right down the middle BUT the webbing on the back of the head overlaps and it looks crappy.

I just can't get a perfect one! ACK!

Yeah, the same thing happened to my Back in Black Spidey, but I don't really care XP It's not like I'm going to buy another pack to see if the production line is different.

The TRU red/blue Spidey had a great paint job on his face mask BUT had the plastic seam (the seam that splits the mask right down the middle, ya dig?) running off-center of the mask, so it distracts from it.

The comic shop version I got of this one has a perfect seam right down the middle BUT the webbing on the back of the head overlaps and it looks crappy.

I just can't get a perfect one! ACK!

Yeah, the same thing happened to my Back in Black Spidey, but I don't really care XP It's not like I'm going to buy another pack to see if the production line is different.

Hah! I have the same thing with my Iron Man TTA set. ALL their masks/helmets!

Edited by Captain Minimate

While we're still talking about Wave 23 and 24.

I got the Warmachines packs and the Taratula pack on Wed. from my LCS.

The Warmachines are Awesome!Too bad they don't come with skintone hands and feet.

Spymaster is cool. Yay for silver guns and holsters!

The Taratula is a really nice looking mate.Though his mask was pretty hard to get on.

The Warmachines are Awesome!Too bad they don't come with skintone hands and feet.

The Taratula is a really nice looking mate.Though his mask was pretty hard to get on.

Yeah, I had a hell of a time getting Tarantula's mask on too. I thought it was Iron Fist's, but his wasn't a bitch to get on/off. It seemed to stretch a little, so it shouldn't be as hard to remove/put on.

Yeah, I had a hell of a time getting Tarantula's mask on too. I thought it was Iron Fist's, but his wasn't a bitch to get on/off. It seemed to stretch a little, so it shouldn't be as hard to remove/put on.

Same here! I almoist broke his leg trying to push it on, but then i just took off the head and pushed it in against my wooden bed-holder-thing. ;)

Well, i have ALL of waves 23 and 24, and am quite satisfied with them. Especially thw WMs and Spymaster. I'm kinda mad though. On my Dagger, the skin on the chest is a richer pink than skin tone. It just looks off. And it feels like the ink is elevated.

I bought the TRU editions when they came out. I already pre-ordered the wave, so when I got them I compared them. There are not really any differences that I could see, except paint mess-ups,etc(the usual stuff). The Street Fighter sets had different colored skins and varying shades of paint to make them different enough. So if you got the variants don't worry about picking up the rest(unless you need custom fodder).

Thanks! That helps a lot--I appreciate the info. :)

I cracked and snagged full waves of 23 & 24 from my LCS and they are beautiful! Best Spidey wave yet! My Gamora was missing her right arm and Nova came with two masks though - I've already sent an email to DST to see if they have any spare parts kicking around.

I just got both waves from Limited Edition and I agree the Warmachines are brilliant. Nova is cool but I would have prefered a classic Nova, the Gomarra cape for me is a perfect start for a Spawn custom with the skull bit on the front.

Not looked at the Spidey wave much tet but it does seem the blue highlighting on the back in black figure is not as bright as the prototype which for me is a good thing as the bright blue was one complaint I had.

I've been wondering, has anyone happened upon wave 23 at Toys R Us yet? I'd love to pick these up but TRU will be $2 cheaper each than my LCS, it'd be like getting the 4th set free! :)

I don't think that they will be appearing at TRU at all.

Really? They were featured in a full page ad in Toyfare with wave 24 that said they would be. I figured the fact that TRU is now carrying all kinds of AA/DST stuff (Spirit/Star Trek/BSG figures etc) that minimates would be included. I thought that wave 24 did well so they would be getting more. That would be unfortunate if they didn't.

It is possible, but: a) the wave 24 figures are warming the pegs at the TRUs near me, so I'm not so sure that they are doing all that well; and b ) the wave released already is much more suitable to a mass audience, with its focus on Spiderman, than would be wave 23, with its "obscure characters from the late 80s/early 90s" theme. I actually think it would be a pretty horrible idea, from a business perspective, to release wave 23 at TRU.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as I mentioned in this mildly incoherent post, waves 23 and 24 FINALLY arrived here. From series 24 I got Black Spidey/Kraven and Cosmic Spidey/Venom (they were the only ones I was interested in), and from series 23 I got my much-coveted Nova/Gamora and Cloak/Dagger. Gamora's paint apps were a little sloppy and there seems to be some black stain on the base of Black Spidey Peter Parker's face, but otherwise I'm happy with these mates.

Now here's the real reason I posted:

IT IS A MAJOR BATTLE TO THE DEATH HERE FOR THE WAR MACHINE MINIMATES. Our LCS just got the case yesterday and upon my arrival there an hour or so later all the War Machines have already gone *poof* :( Now, I know this kind of experience comes with the territory as far as collecting Minimates are concerned, I just felt like ranting since I know it's not the local Minimate fans I'm going up against anymore, but the die-hard Iron Man completists who would probably even collect Tony Stark Barbies if given the opportunity.

Anyways now I have to get up bright and early and possibly skip a school errand just to get to the LCS and catch possibly their last new case of series 23 at opening time. For goodness' sakes, PLEASE let them merciful shellheads give me a shot at getting War Machine.

Edited by NorthRaider

Well, as I mentioned in this mildly incoherent post, waves 23 and 24 FINALLY arrived here. From series 24 I got Black Spidey/Kraven and Cosmic Spidey/Venom (they were the only ones I was interested in), and from series 23 I got my much-coveted Nova/Gamora and Cloak/Dagger. Gamora's paint apps were a little sloppy and there seems to be some black stain on the base of Black Spidey Peter Parker's face, but otherwise I'm happy with these mates.

Now here's the real reason I posted:

IT IS A MAJOR BATTLE TO THE DEATH HERE FOR THE WAR MACHINE MINIMATES. Our LCS just got the case yesterday and upon my arrival there an hour or so later all the War Machines have already gone *poof* :( Now, I know this kind of experience comes with the territory as far as collecting Minimates are concerned, I just felt like ranting since I know it's not the local Minimate fans I'm going up against anymore, but the die-hard Iron Man completists who would probably even collect Tony Stark Barbies if given the opportunity.

Anyways now I have to get up bright and early and possibly skip a school errand just to get to the LCS and catch possibly their last new case of series 23 at opening time. For goodness' sakes, PLEASE let them merciful shellheads give me a shot at getting War Machine.

consider yourself lucky... i was at work when someone messaged me about the stuff actually hitting here. i was told that the LCS only had the nova 2-pack left, and not a single wave 24 pack. immediately after work, of course, i had to go to a class, so i'm not likely to ever actually get anything by tomorrow. perfect end to a perfect week.

Makes you wish Druid's Keep carried new Minimates again, huh? :(

I was actually lucky enough to get a notification straight from CO, but I'm still peeved the War Machines sold out that fast. Hopefully maybe some of the other shops like Comic Quest would start coming to their senses and carry waves 23/24 (and if we're lucky, Secret Invasion and Punisher War Zone) too. Of course that STILL doesn't change the fact that one wave 23 case would contain only four or so War Machine packs (counting both regular and variant), which is HELL for local Minimate and Iron Man collectors alike, especially since they're/we're all finicky enough to want both Stark AND Rhodes.

Damn, if I had known they'd sell out that quickly perhaps I should've bought some extras, huh?

i would've certainly bought some from you.

EDIT: removed partially-nonsensical IM speculator rant.

seriously, i don't understand what's going on locally. is there that bad a distribution problem? none of the local shops have been able to get any in regularly since DC wave 8... CO got some classic avengers, SDCC Iron Men and wave 22, but very late and sparse stock.

sorry to hijack the thread. anyway...

Edited by lastmaximal

Judging from how quickly CO's stocks of the new waves, I'm guessing the other shops might be changing their tune very soon...

I guess if there's any silver lining to be seen here, it's that Minimates CAN sell out in a new-ish market given the right assortment of figures (i.e. crowd pleaser Spiderman, must-have War Machine, Cloak/Dagger so the obscurist comic fans can belong too...). I'm still clinging to my pipe dream that the "big players" like 2Rats and Maxicollector might start carrying these more regularly.

CO got some classic avengers, SDCC Iron Men and wave 22, but very late and sparse stock.

Wait, CO got the Hulk movie wave? Or are you actually referring to wave 21 (Iron Man movie)? I think the IM movie mates are a hopeless case at CO: all the mates the store ordered were long accounted-for (thru reservations) before they even touched the shelves.

And I still need Red Son Superman/Wonder Woman and Cyborg/Raven from DCD wave 8. <_<

Judging from how quickly CO's stocks of the new waves, I'm guessing the other shops might be changing their tune very soon...

I'm still waiting to see the "quickly" part... As noted, the last bunch they got in was a month and a half ago, and that shipment as well as this one seemed to be more a fluke than anything reliable/regular.

I guess if there's any silver lining to be seen here, it's that Minimates CAN sell out in a new-ish market given the right assortment of figures (i.e. crowd pleaser Spiderman, must-have War Machine, Cloak/Dagger so the obscurist comic fans can belong too...). I'm still clinging to my pipe dream that the "big players" like 2Rats and Maxicollector might start carrying these more regularly.

I'm thinking it's less the assortment and more the overall small quantity they got in. it's easier to sell out of almost anything even a little good if you've only got 8 instead of 32. [random numbers]

CO got some classic avengers, SDCC Iron Men and wave 22, but very late and sparse stock.

Wait, CO got the Hulk movie wave? Or are you actually referring to wave 21 (Iron Man movie)? I think the IM movie mates are a hopeless case at CO: all the mates the store ordered were long accounted-for (thru reservations) before they even touched the shelves.

Durr, yeah, wave 21. I wouldn't say they were all reserved, though; at least two people I know got theirs as walk-in purchases [they couldn't have been the people who reserved them, as they had no idea that CO had anything new in until I mentioned it].

Edited by lastmaximal

I'm thinking it's less the assortment and more the overall small quantity they got in. it's easier to sell out of almost anything even a little good if you've only got 8 instead of 32. [random numbers]

Durr, yeah, wave 21. I wouldn't say they were all reserved, though; at least two people I know got theirs as walk-in purchases [they couldn't have been the people who reserved them, as they had no idea that CO had anything new in until I mentioned it].

Well, I guess you do have a point about the numbers thing (which I'm now torn about... DST seems to be perpetually stuck between "sell very few and piss off a lot of fans" or "sell very many and peg-warm like like hell") When I picked up my mates at CO though there were still some random DC and Marvel wave 19-20 (plus that indispensable Spiderman 3 pack that never seems to sell) hanging around in their display so I'm still inclined to believe the character assortment argument. Then again, maybe waves 23-24 were just selling like hotcakes because the collectors got new-release cabin fever or something.