UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Save Superman's House!

God Magnus

What if we hate Superman? :whistling:

I've never really understood the motions to preserve some things. Something of historical significance, like the place where the Declaration of Independence was signed, sure. But who gives a crap about the house where they dreamed up Google? I'd probably have to put the house where the guy came up with Superman on the list of not so important stuff too. Sure he's probably the most well known comic book character, but all he's really inspired is a string of cartoons, tv shows, and movies of varying success, and hocking the American Express card with Jerry Seinfeld.

And I'm more than willing to accept whatever hate gets thrown my way for my opinion.

first dragon dont take this as hate its not.

As much as I dislike DC I have to admit Supes is truly an iconic piece of Americana. I used to have a roommate who's father would beat him terribly when he was a kid. His little piece of nirvana he would clutch to and feel safe with was Superman, dreaming he could soar above it all in the skies and have the strength to stand up to the great abuser. These dreams of his are his happiest childhood moments. I dont find it hard to believe that out there in the world there must be thousands if not millions of of kids of all ages who share to some degree a happy thought like that, that revoles around some superhero if not the big S himself. That seems to me to be something thats history is worth saving.

They should donate the proceeds to a good charity in Siegel's name. There are so many people in need and it seems like the money could be used for a better cause.

Why not preserve the house and turn into a tourst attraction charge people to go see it and give some of that money to a charity in Siegel's name. I was in Cleveland a few years ago and I had know idea that house even existed I would visited if i had known.

I say raise the money and donate it to some worthy cause instead of putting it towards upkeep on a house that has very little significance to the mythos of the character. When you factor in how much money you brought in by charging admission, subtract the cost of upkeep, property taxes, and what have you, how much would you really be able to donate to charity.

post-24-1220467342_thumb.jpg

Surely somebody could just buy the house & hmmmm...er...um...perhaps....live there??? Mind you I'm English ...all history & no future. :ermm:

Trying to get some use out of a house - you're thinking like a person and not a comic fan. The proper comic solution is to bag and board the house to keep it mint condition forever.

I say raise the money and donate it to some worthy cause instead of putting it towards upkeep on a house that has very little significance to the mythos of the character. When you factor in how much money you brought in by charging admission, subtract the cost of upkeep, property taxes, and what have you, how much would you really be able to donate to charity.

Yeah you right who gives a shit it's just the house where some bozo thought up some stupid character.

Yeah you right who gives a shit it's just the house where some bozo thought up some stupid character.

Okay, i know that's your opinion, but isn't that a tad harsh? Seriously, it isn't just some crummy old house that can rot in hell to all of us, ya' know! Some of us like the preservation of these sorts of things and want to see them fixed up! I would rather see it become a "museum" sort of thing than anything else.

Okay, i know that's your opinion, but isn't that a tad harsh? Seriously, it isn't just some crummy old house that can rot in hell to all of us, ya' know! Some of us like the preservation of these sorts of things and want to see them fixed up! I would rather see it become a "museum" sort of thing than anything else.

Uh I was being sarcastic. Read my first post. I cani't believe drgnrbrn's attitude he's got a picture of the house burning :blink:

Uh I was being sarcastic. Read my first post. I cani't believe drgnrbrn's attitude he's got a picture of the house burning :blink:

Okay, now that i can live with. I would have been really pissed if you said that truthfully and had Superman in your avatar and sig! Oh, and yes, that pic is terrible! Why would you want to show it burning?! That is so disgraceful to some of us...

Harsh man. Harsh. Show some respect. Superman practically CREATED the modern comic book. Without Superman we wouldn't have all of these other superheroes. Without the superheroes, we wouldn't have Marvel. And without Marvel, no Marvel Minimates.

Respect the Superman!

I'm pretty sure he does respect "the Superman"...

...he just doesn't give a rip about some house that Jerry Siegel happened to live in. :)

I'm pretty sure he also respects Jerry Siegel himself, and his contribution to our modern world. But the house?

How can you respect an inanimate object (besides being a good steward, and all that stuff)?

I mean, it's not even a mansion or anything...it's just a...just a house. A plain ol' house. :huh:

Edited by Alpheon

Should we also keep the house where I first read a superman comic? After all it's a part of superman history in it's special way too!!!

If they want to make it into a museum then fine but to be honest they'll turn anything into a tourist attraction if someone can make a buck these days! I did a tour of the Tillamook cheese factory yesterday, They said they process 50 million lbs of cheese at a time... It made me queasy...Don't think I want to eat cheese ever again!!!

T.

I cannot believe we're trying to preserve this house when it had very little impact on the creation of Superman. The garage where Hewlett Packard was created actually had the company running out of that garage at some point. Jerry didn't publish Superman comics from his childhood home. He just lived there.

And I have nothing but respect for Superman's influence on the world. He was the first major superhero and pretty much carried the comic world to where it is now. He also helped spark the transition between comic book and film, with the serials and everything else that came from the product. Jerry Seigel created the character and deserves respect for that. But that doesn't mean his house is a national landmark. If you want to honor the guy by fixing up his house, then fine. But should we stand in the way of the future by trying to hang on to a very insignificant piece of the past? Someone could live in that home, wouldn't that honor his memory just as well. It would also help a whole lot more with the whole Ordinary People Changing the World BS they're trying to tag onto turning this house into a tourist attraction.

If it was me, I can't imagine wanting all this effort going into making a museum out of my childhood home when something better could be done with the funds or the space. Hence why I posted the picture of Superman burning down the house.

I respect everyone's opinion on the subject, but I don't agree with the reasoning behind it and I won't be participating in any project directed towards this goal.

I cannot believe we're trying to preserve this house when it had very little impact on the creation of Superman. The garage where Hewlett Packard was created actually had the company running out of that garage at some point. Jerry didn't publish Superman comics from his childhood home. He just lived there.

He drew pictures of Super man on the back of wall paper in that house.

And I have nothing but respect for Superman's influence on the world. He was the first major superhero and pretty much carried the comic world to where it is now. He also helped spark the transition between comic book and film, with the serials and everything else that came from the product. Jerry Seigel created the character and deserves respect for that. But that doesn't mean his house is a national landmark. If you want to honor the guy by fixing up his house, then fine. But should we stand in the way of the future by trying to hang on to a very insignificant piece of the past? Someone could live in that home, wouldn't that honor his memory just as well. It would also help a whole lot more with the whole Ordinary People Changing the World BS they're trying to tag onto turning this house into a tourist attraction.

What did they do with Mark Twain's house?

If it was me, I can't imagine wanting all this effort going into making a museum out of my childhood home when something better could be done with the funds or the space. Hence why I posted the picture of Superman burning down the house.

So what your saying is Mark Twain was there saying "they better make a friggin tourist attractin out of my house or imma lose it"?

I respect everyone's opinion on the subject, but I don't agree with the reasoning behind it and I won't be participating in any project directed towards this goal.

Know one is asking you to participate but to show a picture of the house burning down..... use your frickin head.

Edited by wallbreaker2.0

He drew pictures of Super man on the back of wall paper in that house.

He drew pictures of Superman on the back of wallpaper because he didn't have paper, not because he loved the house so much. Besides, what's left of that very wallpaper you mention? You'd have us preserve a memory that rotted away long ago.

What did they do with Mark Twain's house?

What did they do with Mark Twain's house? I didn't mention Mark Twain, you did.

So what your saying Mark Twain was there saying was they better make a friggin tourist attractin out of my house or imma lose it?

Again with the Twain. I could care less about Mark Twain's house than I could about Jerry Seigel's. All I'm saying is that if Jerry Seigel found that house so damn important, why did he not continue living there? Why is it no longer in their family's name and is now owned by some elderly couple instead? His family didn't seem to give a crap about that house until they found out someone wanted to raise money for it. If the man's own flesh and blood could care less about some bricks and mortar, why should I?

Oh, and to beat you to the punch, let the record show that I think the "historic" homes of any of our so-called celebrities should all be treated like any other house on this planet and be either sold or bulldozed so that a future generation can create their own memories there instead of clinging to the childhood memories of someone we've never met.

Know one is asking you to participate but to show a picture of the house burning down..... use your frickin head.

I did use my "frickin" head, as well as my meager photo manipulating skills. I was doing an art piece inspired by this unfortunate turn of events, representing the amount of care that the family of Superman had shown for that house.

And I know that "know" one is asking me to participate, but I saw people doing a call to arms for us to do a contest or something to try and raise money, so I expressed my opinion on the idea.

Yeah I brought up Mark Twain's house and you have yet to answer me. Furthermore do you think a person who appreciated Mark Twain's contribution to the arts in the least would have the audacity to show a picture of his house burning when the idea of it being preserved came up?

Seriously you have responded to something that some peole feel strongly about in a wildly innappriate way and to make matters worse you don't show even a glimmer of remorse.

Just because you have "meager photo manipulating skills" doesn't mean you should use them to display publicly every poorly thought out idea you have.

Edited by wallbreaker2.0

I love Mark Twain's writing, but that doesn't make his house any more important than any other house in the world.

post-24-1220670316_thumb.jpg

And I feel very strongly about my opinion that these houses are just that, houses. But because I do not agree with the idea that we should toss our hard earned dollars at trying to save these buildings, I'm not entitled to my opinion?

What other national treasures must we preserve? The first comic stand to sell a Superman comic? The first printing press to put the big S to paper? Seriously, its one thing to honor a mint condition copy of the Action Comics book that Superman graced the cover of, or to memorialize the early sketches and writing of the character. It's quite another to want to preserve a building that had very little to do with the creation of that character. Sure, he supposedly laid in bed staring at the ceiling and Superman was born, but the idea could just as easily hit him while he was sitting on a park bench or using the bathroom.

I can't understand why people can get into such an uproar over something that they didn't even know existed a week or two ago.