UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Watchmen--Absolute or Paperback?

Alpheon

Hey, guys. I'll admit, I have not yet read Watchmen. I've wanted to for years, and idiotically decide to do it as soon as the hype hits home. But, instead of waiting for fifty-two people in front of me to read it at the library, I think I'll buy it. Chances are it's as good as everyone says it is, and when the movie comes out, I'll be happy I bought it.

I'll even go so far as to predict that I'll REALLY like it, and so, have seriously considered paying $85 for the "Absolute" Edition of the book, guessing I'll be happier for it in the future. It's got a buttload of "special features," it's hardcover, with a slipcase, and fairly humongous in size.

Whaddya say? Is it worth it to pay more for "The Most Celebrated Graphic Novel of All Time" in hardcover, ultimate edition awesomeness, and hassle with eBay (it's out of print), hoping I'll become a convert, or should I just go with the simply satisfactory TPB I see on the shelves of Barnes & Noble for $65 less?

I should note that money isn't that huge of an issue. I won't pay more than $85 for the Absolute, but so long as it's worth it to me, I don't really care.

If I didn't have my copy all the way over in the UK I'd send you mine to read.

KM80 is right thoughm buy it to read not as a collectors piece, as he says if you get really overexcited about it then you can upgrade later.

T.

I'm with the others. And if you like Batman-like superheroes with a cold war twist then you'll like Watchmen. I personally will not get the absolute edition, but I liked the book and it was well worth $20

Thanks, guys. I've decided I'll buy the paperback for $11 (new) from Amazon in a shipment of a bunch of other stuff I'm ordering.

The one thing I'd read when comparing the "normal" and Absolute editions that stuck out in my mind is that, apparently, the colors are much, much richer and more clearly defined in the Absolute edition. They're not the dull-ish, comic book ones we're used to. For instance, the blood isn't that weird salmony color--it's actually red. :P

That was the main element I didn't like about the paperback Watchmen, and my one practical incentive to buy the Absolute later on.

Edited by Alpheon