UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mature Filters

neolego

Preface

-For those of you who don't know, Microsoft has just announced that there will be a "Filter" in Gears of War 2 that will turn the blood into "Sparks" and will cut all of the language from the game.

Ok, so I'm reading the news about Gears 2 and I'm actually very excited about it. Anyway who knows me, knows I'm not a "Mature" gamer! Because of that I've chose to skip several top tier games, not the least being Gears 1 and GTA IV. On another board that I was browing yesterday I made a comment that I was glad Gears decided to go this route and I am actually thinking about picking it up this time. Almost immediately I begin getting flamed for being a sissy and a loser and a momma's boy and everything else you can imagine.

So, my rant, WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH PEOPLE? Who makes the rules of what is acceptable and what is not? Where is the line and who governs it? If you only drink beer are you a loser to the liquor people? If you only smoke ciggeretts are you a loser to the Pot smokers? If you only go to church once a year are you a loser to the Bible Thumper? When did we become so unaccepting of people or maybe we always have been and I've just missed it. If I say I won't play a game with the F word in it does that make me less or a man or less of an American or less of a person? God forbid that people have standards now days. Take my grandmother, I will never say a curse word in front of her, ever. It's not about fear or masculinity, but it's about respect. We have no respect for people anymore, that is the problem. Our problem isn't playing GTA IV or watching MTV, our problem is that we don't respect each other personality and preferences! Take Timbo for example, he likes to beat whores with baseball bats, but I still like him (Inside joke everyone, sorry Timbo, couldn't resist, lol). We get into discussions here all the time and many of us disagree, but here we respect people and our disagreements can be peaceable.

So, what does that have to do with Gaming? I enjoy games. I like to kill bad guys. If I can lop off people's heads with a katana I'm good to go. But, at the same time I do have limits. We all have limits. I may be ok with Blood/Death, but I do not like cursing all through the game. It's not needed for me to enjoy myself. For other that may not be the case. Other may cuss more than the games they play and that's fine too. The point is, what is the matter with Filters in games? In fact, I will so a step further and say most if not all games should have a filter. Wait, let me go on more step further and say I think ALL media should have a filter. CDs, especially in the late 90's starting coming out with "Explicit" versions and even today on iTunes you can get "Clean" or "Explicit" versions of songs. Why can't we get that with everything. I'd prefer to pick up a DVD with a filter. Example, sure: "The Departed". That movie curses ALOT but it's a really good movie. I would love to have the option to turn a filter on a bleep the cursing or not even bleep, just mute. And now, Gears of War is another prime example. I don't mind mutants bleeding all over the place, but I don't want to hear an F bomb dropped every 30 seconds. Realistic? Maybe, but it's not real, it's a game! I hope more companies follow this same trend. If there was a filter in GTA where there was no cursing or nudity I would have bought it on the first day.

In the end, lowering the standards does not mean that it changes the main game. I could see if Microsoft came out and said, we are taking blood and language OUT of Gears for good. But they didn't, the filter is an option that you don't have to use if you don't want too. But, at the same time, adding a filter like that means the game is now open to a wider audience that, like me, may have skipped the game without it. If anything, gamers should be excited about filters like this because it broadens the audience of the game and increases sales which in turn means lots more sequels.

And, if anyone wants to challenge my manhood, I'll be in the playground after school! neo

P.S. you can thank the "No Blogs" for this post, I had to rant somehwere :).

Edited by neolego

To be honest I agree with you but most of companies don't filter because it takes money to implement it don't matter how small it cuts into their profit. I take gameplay over graphics 9/10 most times thats why I chose a Wii to play as my next gen console and while we can play violent games there is nothing myself and my fiance like doing better then beating our two teenage kids (15 and 16) at something like bowling or boomblox.

I would guess most adults haven't a clue what their kids are playing and aren't all that bothered as long as they say it keeps them off the street.

I would say make the consoles have a password system for games over a certain age range so they need to enter it when a disk is inserted but in the end that wouldn't work mostly because I would guess because alot of adults wouldn't go near a PS360ii to set it up with the kids help anyway and that defeats the object.

If it me was posting on the other board I wouldn't let it get to me its only words in the end. Just enjoy your game when you get it

if they release a filtered and non filtered version I would like to the numbers for each bought by stores for sale just to see what the stores themselves think will sell more.

Neo,

;) You're a sissy and a loser ;) ( You started it :P )

I can't see why it's an issue IF it is switchable. I know you have some delicate sensibilites as we have discussed them elsewhere. What I would object to is the watering down of atmosphere or content for everyone else just because a minority is offended, I sometimes wonder if we have too much of a nanny state as it is.

T.

p.s. I have yet to beat hooker to death with a baseball bat in GTAIV, oddly I have given money to homeless guys though!

Neolego, I think it is great to stand up for whatever it is you beleive in. I do think that filters are a great thing but as has been said they should always be optional so that those who don't want the coarser content can avoid it but those who just want the original content can have it. I am not a big gamer in the first place I watch movies more than most people and there are dvd playes with filters on them. I don't have one because I want to see what was intended to be seen but I completely understand those who are interested but not in all the language, violence, or sex. Anyway I don't think you are a sissy you are simply willing to stand for something that is important to you!

As TBT said and I completely agree to I am sick of things changing permanently to cater to the minority! That is why if there are going to be filters they have to be optional!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to this party.

I think mature filters are a good idea, even though personally I won't use them. I love Gears for what it is. In someways the swearing makes it seem more down to earth, as if these are real people. I love the blood and gore of Gears. It makes the whole atmosphere better in my opinion.

I wholey agree with your points. So many people in this world have lost respect for other peoples differences. At school I get abused for being part of the 'skater crew'. It doesn't matter that none of us skate, but some of us have long hair and we like rock music, so we must be skaters and be abused for it.

I was in my city centre today and couldn't help but feel ashamed of humanity. You walk down the street and there are people bumping into eachother without so much as a sorry, or even a glance back, people spitting all over the floor. You can't walk past a conversation without hearing a swear word used. I don't have a problem with swearing so long as it's appropriate. It shocks me how casually swear words are thrown around today. In my opinion swear words should be reserved for times of neccessity, such as when angry, or in pain etc. If they are just used in such times, then they can become a release of anger. When used so casually, they can't be used in this way and so violence becomes the first thing at your disposal to release anger and that just opens a whole new load of trouble.

I've gone off topic from filters a little here so I'll get back on to finish my rant up. Swearing in video games doesn't offend me all the time. I think GTA uses them excessively and if I could I would filter it. So I think optional filters are a good idea.

Thanks for the comments all of you guys. Dan makes a great point to support what I'm saying. We are all individuals. We all have different standards, preferences, and levels of maturity. My rant was never against violence or cursing in games (I'm not Jack Thompson, lol), but it's more of make them optional.

I had a perfect example of what I'm talking about and then I'll let it go. My friend has Liberty City Stories on his PSP. Now, I love the idea of GTA. I would buy it in a heart beat if you could skip all of the "unnessasary" stuff. So, I'm my friend hands me his PSP and was like, try it. So, I'm having a pretty good time, I'm driving around which is harded than I thought it would be on the PSP and I run into a car and just about flip over. Then, whoever was riding with me, said something like "Whoa, you drive like a Bit#*". I couldn't believe it, it was so out of place that it made me stop playing the game. As a father I have to think about my daughter. I don't even play Halo with my daughter in the same room because she is too young to understand violence yet, but if she was in her bedroom playing and heard the crap that comes out of so games he would be talking like a Street Girl in a matter of weeks. This is what I'm talking about. If you think you have to have that crap in there, make it optional. As a father and the leader of my home I have to make decisions that are for the greater good and that means I miss out of games like GTA. Not because I'm afraid of violence or so holy that I don't swear. It's because I have to be a role model for the people that are around me, especially my children.

So, in the end, for me it's No-Filter, No-Game. neo

I hear what you are saying Neo. I actually had a Nintendo game when I was a kid, where you were, I think, Moses (from the bible) and you picked up and threw baby Jesus around. I thought that was pretty offensive, and would have enjoyed a filter where instead of baby Jesus it was, say, a loaf of bread. . .even though, I think the game was supposed to get us to read the bible more or something :blink: ?

After writing the above, I just found the Youtube link, apparently you are some woman (I don't think that is Jesus) carrying baby Moses around. My mistake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQyifdNvoLo

Still, a horrible, horrible game. And pretty disturbing that the baby is sent floating down the river after all the work that poor woman went through getting you through all those evil cavemen/arabs, animals, etc.

• 2 months later...

In case you missed my post in the other thread neo, Gears of War 2 has a gore and language filter. I haven't tried them out, as these are two aspects of the game that I enjoy. I imagine that you can still chain saw through people, and all the other violent things, but no blood is involved. Of course you don't have to chainsaw people or do violent executions to play the game.

• 1 month later...

Since I'm now playing the game for the 3rd time, this time at the breezy casual mode, I thought I'd revive this thread. OK, so I decided to test out the word filter and gore filter and didn't really notice a different, did you Neo? I mean Dom still say's he's going to shoot them in their asses. The only thing I did notice was the gore filter coming in handy, but I kind of got bored with the word filter, since it wasn't taking out all of the objectionable words on mine. It's one of the problems I have with these things, either take out all of the objectionable words(don't decide for me what is a bad word, they all are, if I want to filter them out :rolleyes:) or don't bother. Knowing that Neo is keeping his moral compass straight, I was happy for him. However, I think they let him down in the end(sadly), but I'll let him chime in and give us his feedback on it.

I don't have a next gen system, and rarely play another over teen (well that's not true) so I'm a bit behind on everyone else. But honestly, I can stand everything else except the cussing. I just don't want to hear it. I wish I knew where to find out if they drop the F bomb, because I simply won't play a game that has that at all. At least Halo (on the lower levels anyways) doesn't use it.

You know, I can't remember if they use the f bomb or not :unsure: But if cursing isn't your bag, you might want to skip this one or use the filter they provide. Sure, you are still going to hear the one's I mentioned in my previous post, but it isn't as bad as it can be.

• 1 month later...

You know, I just read back over my rant. It's been a while. And, I still stand behind it. I still think that it should be an included feature on any M rated game.

I still haven't played "Gears" so I can comment on that per-say. But I do feel that it says a lot that the devopers would choose to include that. My main problem with this whole thing is that it's doesn't water down their game to add filters. Those that choose to play with the filters on may get a watered down experience, but adding the filters doesn't not take away from the core of any game. There is a long list of games that I would have gladly paid money for if they would have only included filters. Games like Fallout 3, GTA, Penny Arcade, and God of War. The only reason this is a moot point is because those games will sell and sell, so my petty 2 cents won't change anyone mind. This is the same argument I have with "Rock Band". If games would add filters, they wouldn't eliminate their already huge sales, but they would be more accessable to more people. Much like Rock Band would get even MORE of an audience if they spread their wings a little bit. Of course they did add County Music.....so maybe they read my rant after all :). neo

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line here Neo... you've got to walk your own path. No matter what you say or do, somebody is going to find fault in it, so do what makes you happy and F the nay-sayers.

I get car sick in the back of tiny cars, I don't smoke pot and I am disgusted by champagne. Does that make me lame to someone? Probably, but I could not possibly care any less even if you paid me.

Knowing there is a filter on a game, might actually make me more likely to buy it for my sons, but I hope there are unfiltered versions or the filter can be disabled. Choice is a freedom in this country that I thoroughly enjoy.

Absolutely, Neo. Walk your own path. I'm not disrespecting your opinion AT ALL. I don't understand the logic though. (...and it pops up in full paragraph form in a lot of game-related threads) Why buy an "M" rated game and censor it? Do "E" rated games have a Gore option? When Mario pulls Bowser's skull and spine out a la Mortal Kombat, I'll be right on board with you supporting a Censor option on the "M" rated titles.

I am leaving it at that. No disrespect to you, Neo.

So do we get the "beating a dead horse" emoticon or what?

Okay, I'm leaving it at that. :lol:

Edited by handsomedevil

• 3 months later...