UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

E3 Discussion Thread

luke314pi

E3 starts today! If people would be so kind as to post news here, I would really appreciate it. I can't check most gaming websites from work, and its driving me crazy right now. During E3 I usually have about twenty tabs open in firefox, refreshing every 5 minutes. :P

HOLY COW !?!?!?!?!?!?!?

-Xbox Live 2.0 (TWO THUMBS UP, HUGE NEWS!!!!!)

-Lips, In the Movies, New Scene it Game

-The Original Banjo coming to XBLA

-Resident Evil 5 ONLINE CO-OP

-Final Fantasy Coming to Xbox Live Arcade

-Portal Xbox Live Arcade Game

Awesome start to E3 this year. Xbox for the win! neo

Edited by neolego

Yeah, I was just about to post that Boyd.

Not sure what I think about it yet. The Nintendo Press is tomorrow morning (9am pacific), so I expect something big. We've heard light rumors of a megaton anouncement coming tomorrow, and if anyone can live up to the Hype it's Nintendo. But, a controller is only as good as the game your playing (as we've found out), so the real question is, what's the game? Here are my ideas:

1. New Zelda game with 1:1 motion control

Swing the sword with Link for the first time, or even a MMO Zelda game. It will be released NEXT holiday season!

2. Wii Sports 2.0

Sure, the first game was amazing, but it was light and free. I'd like to see a full, decked out, $60 attempt at the best sports.....now with 1:1

3. Brand New IP

We haven't seen a lot of new IP's from Nintendo in a while. I think the last great one was Pikmin, so it's time for a nice new IP.

Man, I can't wait until tomorrow! neo

2. Wii Sports 2.0

Sure, the first game was amazing, but it was light and free. I'd like to see a full, decked out, $60 attempt at the best sports.....now with 1:1

Man, gotta love it when you're right :). And, it may have not been "Holiday" next year, but it is NEXT year!!

Well, Nintendo's Press just got done and may I just say........"Thank God I Own an Xbox 360". That was one of the lamest Press Conferences that I've ever seen from Nintendo. The only half decent mention was Animal Crossing: City Folk and Wii Sports Resort. And I'll tell you this, neither one of those games are enough to build buzz on!!!! I am truly disspointed with Animal Crossing. I was really hoping for something similar to "Home" on the Playstation, but with Animal Crossing with Wii Speak. Sure, it's cool that 3 (yeah, only 3) of your friends can hang out with you at one time. And it's cool that you can send messages to Cell Phones and Email. And, it's cool you can run around as your Mii Head. But it's not enough. Just like the last two Animal Crossing games. A game built on community that is not a MMO is going to fail. Sure, it will sell heaps, and I'll be one of the ones that buy it. But, it could have been SO MUCH MORE!!

Oh well, I'll pick up AC for the Wii Speak and maybe get some use out of it. And I'll pick up Wii Sports because the first was great and I'm sure 2.0 will also be great. But where was Zelda or Mario or Metroid or Pikmin or Kid Icarus or Kirby or Donkey Kong or Star Fox or F Zero or PokeMon 3D or sweet lord, I'd settle for a Rob the Robot game at this point. There was nothing for the Hardcore fan. I love my Wii and I love Innovation, but I'm getting sick of Nintendo's philosophy. Sure, they are raking in the money, but the more they continue like this, the more of my money goes to Microsoft. Honestly we had no Holiday 1st party games before today, now it's been confirmed we are getting Animal Crossing (Non-MMO) and WiiMusic for the Holiday......that's it. Against Gears of War 2, Banjo Kazoee: N&B, Fallout 3, Fable II, Viva Pinata: TiP, just to name a few, this is the worst Nintendo Holiday seasons I've seen - EVER! neo

Sorry for the double post, but it is a different day :)!

So I just finished watching all 3 Press Conferences for the 2nd time and I've had some time to think about it and I would like to share my thoughts. Let me preface my thoughts by saying that until the Xbox 360 I was a Nintendo Fanboy exclusively. I owned the SNES (not genisis), I owned the 64 (not PSone), and I owned the GameCube (not PS2/Xbox). However, because MS launched the 360 first, I couldn't help myself. Currently, I own an Xbox 360 Pro Edition (LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Indy, Civ, CoD4, Marvel: UA, etc) and a Nintendo Wii (Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, Boom Blocks, Mario Kart, WiiFit, etc). I am in the market for a PS3, but I'll get to that shortly! Now, with that out of the way, here are my reviews of the E3 Press Conferences:

Microsoft Press Conference

(Monday, 7/14 @ 10:30am)

Recap: The Press was great. It started with Facts, had some great Demos (Fallout 2, RE5, Fable II), New annoucements (Scene it 2, Lips, In the Movies, Banjo on XBLA), and the Megaton that was Live 2.0.

Thoughts: I honestly wasn't expecting much from MS, in fact I thought it would be #3 overall just because we basically knew about most of their big guns. We knew about Fallout 3, we knew about Fable II, we knew about Gears of War II, we knew about Banjo, etc. However, it was the announcement of Xbox Live 2.0 that stole the show. There is so much that was shown and so much MORE that we don't even know yet. Avatars, Party Games, Primetime, Netflix, just to name a few......and we are barely scratching the surface. They said they would be the first company to REinvent a console by software only, and they showed it. I cannot wait until the Fall, I am actually looking forward to the Update more than any game on my list now, it's that huge!

Pros:

-Live 2.0, it looks amazing and is going to change everything we know about Xbox

-Fallout 3, everything I see about that games makes me want it more!

-Resident Evil Online Co-Op, it's basically RE4 on steriods with Co-Op, Awesome!!!

-Lips, just because you can stream your own music to sing and they will never make a game with Third day! :)

Final Thoughts: MS did what they needed to do. They proved their Holiday line up was the best by Demoing it, they announced enough to keep the fans happy, and they dropped the bomb by showing one of the biggest achievements in gameing since the Disc. And, the best part was the end of the Press when they pimp smacked Sony by announcing that FF is no longer exclusive to the Playstation!

Final Grade: A+

Nintendo Press Conference

(Tuesday, 7/15 @ 9am)

Recap: Nintendo talked about numbers....way too much. They showed off Snowboarding and the new Wii Motion attachment for 1:1 movement and then announced Wii Sports Resort, Animal Crossing, and WiiMusic. Yeah, that's all.

Thoughts: Wow, I am a Nintendo Fanboy and I can honestly say if it wasn't for Smash Bros I would probably be trading my Wii in right now. I'm not only disappointed with the Press, I'm completely disgusted with it. This is it. This is like the American Idol Finale or the Ninth Inning of the World Series with the Bases Loaded! Honestly, Nintendo has everything going for them. Both their systems are selling incredible and they are still the leader in innovation in the gaming industry. And just like David Cook or a Ball Player at the Plate, all they had to do was NOT SUCK and things would be OK. They didn't need a Standing Ovation or a Grand Slam, they just needed to look competent and everything would be great. Problem is, they didn't do it. They dropped the ball, BIG time! If you think I'm just being hard, let me explain what I mean. They really had 3 announcments. Animal Crossing was first. The best this, they've really pushed it father, it looks so much better than the GCN and DS Versions........oh wait. It's the same dang game! Seriously, it's like the point and click of the DS had an afair with the Graphics of the GCN and this is their bastard offspring. No MMO, no full Mii support, no town customization, no online lobby, but you can play with 3 other people in your town at one time......that's right, 3, wow! They announced a 250+ person online game at the Sony Press, and we have.....4. But don't worry, it gets better. Wii Sports Resort was next. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Wii sports and I'm excited about Resort, but it doesn't work anymore. We know what the Wii Remote is capible of. I don't want to see a wooden stick fight between Miis, I want to see a dang First Person Zelda Game with 1:1 sword play. However, they saved the best for last: Wii Music. Yep, that's it, that's what they ended the show with. But don't worry, they don't want to make it too hard on you, so there is completely no skill involved. All you have to do is try to keep time. Oh yeah, and you can jam with 3 of your friends and one gets to hold to Wii Remote like a Trumpet and looks like a flipping idiot. Gonna be some great You Tube action going on there! Oh Lord, where did Nintendo go and who is in Reggie's body......

Pros:

-By default I have to put something, so Wii Speak looks interesting and could be used greatly.....in the future!

Final Thoughts: Nintendo did nothing to encourage the fan. Seriously, Grandmas don't watch E3, Fanboys do. We didn't get Mario or Zelda or Metoid or Kid Icarus (which was heavily hinted). And I'm not even talking about huge games, we didn't get Mario Baseball or anything. Even last year we got Link's Crossbow which sucked, but it was for the Fans. Nintendo is continuing the trend of killing Fanboys slowly with NO GAMES! The first thing I said to my wife after I watched the Press was, "Thank God I own a 360". I honestly have only two games on my list for Wii this year. They are Wii Sports Resort and MLB Power Pros Baseball (only because it's not on 360)!

Final Grade: D-

Sony Press Conference

(Tuesday, 7/15 @ 11:30am)

Recap: Sony talked alot about Digital Distribution and Upcoming Games. Spent quality time on the PS2 and PSP. The only major annoucement was MAG which is an awesome 256 person online war, looks awesome. Also showed some good footage of Resistance 2 (and for PSP), Killzone, Infamous, and a teaser for God of War 3.

Thoughts: I have to say that I didn't watch the Sony Press with as much enthusiasm simply because I don't own a PS3. I'm on the edge of buying one and I keep waiting for the ONE thing that's going to put me over. Finally I think they've done it. Right now I can pick up a Blu Ray Player for $300 at Wal Mart, cheapest one at retail to day. That's $100 cheaper than a PS3 and Little Big Planet is not enough to warrant a purchase. However, they just announed the 80gig going for $400 bucks now and with the announcement of DC Online, I may just be on my way to picking up a PS3. They spent a lot of time talking about movie distribution which is great for Sony, but that is very old news to Xbox Live people, but again, if you are Sony only it was a lot of good news.

Pros:

-$400 80 gig Model

-MAG looks great

-God of War Teaser

-DC Online, and Jim Lee who I love, he was great!

Final Thoughts: Not really much that won me over, but it was a tribute to the fans and they are really looking to make their fanbase happy with their future. The PS3 has a long life and it feels as they are only getting started. Great announcements and nice Vids. Nothing huge or Megaton, but enough to keep you happy if you have a PS3. Not better than Microsoft, but ran circles around Nintendo.

Final Grade: B-

So, those are my thoughts. It's a long read, but I had a lot to say and wanted to say it somewhere. neo

I agree with you about the Nintendo conference. I loved the other animal crossing games, but I have no desire to pick up the new one. It looks exactly the same. Wii Sports Resort doesn't do it for me either. You know the jet ski game won't be as good as a full fledged Wave Racer game, and the frisbee looks boring as hell. And don't even get me started on Wii Music. Like you said Neo, thank god I have a 360.

That sucks about Nintendo, haven't gone through the coverage on any sites yet so thanks for the summary. Do you know if they had anything more interesting announced for the DS?

The only thing I'll say that's (slightly) in the their defence is re: showing the fans some Mario or Zelda footage -- while I'm sure they're working on games for both these properties (or at least the Zelda) I can't blame them for not showing us the very early stages, considering how much crap they've gotten online thanks to doing that in the past. People got so angry about the Twilight Princess delays only because we'd seen the game so much earlier at E3, and I'm sure you can still find fans bitching somewhere about how Mario 64 2 never came out, even though it was never really in development....

So I can understand them not showing us those two until they're further along, but yeah they clearly should've had something big to fill that void. Like you say, Kid Icarus or a better Animal Crossing would've been perfect.

As for the DS front, we got nothing.....really! It was funny because the lady that was out this time (never saw her before) was talking up uses for the DS and she was like "We are also pleased to be able to announced the next game in the PokeMon series" and I was like WTF, we are getting a new PokeMon game!!!!! "PokeMon Ranger will be available this November (or whenever, can't remember)." Ha......HaHaHa........That's it. PokeMon Ranger, that's it...

As for Nintendo's showing, I agree I don't want to see something crappy, but either A they are wasting too much time on Casual Crap or B they are not worried about new Hardcore games!! Seriously, there has been loose talk about Kid Icarus for quite some time, especially with him being in Smash Bros and Factor 5 being involved, but do we get anything? Nope! Wait, what about Day of Disaster that was announced 2 YEARS AGO....anything? Nah. Oh, I know, an awesome sequel to Luigi's Mansion using the Wii Remote...right??? Oh, no. Well, surely with the Wii Ballance Board we will see a new First Party game to use it, like Warioware, surely! Hm, guess not. They just dropped the ball, big time. I can't even begin to put into words the insignificance of the Nintendo Press. I honestly would have rather them just skip the Press, at least that way they don't make fools out of themselves. WiiMusic......Really.......That was the last game shown..........dear God!

I guess the question is now, what SHOULD we have seen. That is very easy. We should have seen, in a full playable demo, Kid Icarus the game with Factor 5 leading the discussion. Then we should have got an announcement of Metroid Prime: The Complete Trilogy, that has Metroid Prime 1 and 2 enhanced for the Wii Remote packaged with MP 3 for a Holiday Release. Then, we should have got the announcement for the GameBoy, no DS 2, the GameBoy! Then, as Reggie was closing out the show, the Lights would drop to black.......then the Screen Pops into a Cut Scene showing an over the shoulder view of Ganon looking at Link (Adult, Twilight Princess Link). You hear Ganon monologue about how he is sick of Link always getting in the way and ruining everything. He then draws his sword and challenges Link for the last time. The camera then pans to a wide shot of the two, slowly going to a close up of Link. Then, we HEAR Link for the first time say, "Bring it on old man!" Immedietly we jump to a First Person View of Link holding the Master Sword and Ganon charging. Just as Link (in First Person) starts running toward Ganon with Sword Drawn, The two swords meet and the spark is so bright that the screen goes all white, and in Gold Lettering we see, "The Legend Continues.......in 2009"

Now, if they did that, I would shave myself and get a full body tatoo of Reggie!! neo

Edited by neolego

God, no DS either... Pokemon are you kidding me :mellow:

I'm with you on everything but Link talking -- no matter what voice they chose it would just sound wrong to me, after playing him for 15 years or something without one. I'm still a little emotionally scarred from that first "it's amee, Mario!" many years ago :lol:

BTW: there is another Pokemon game other than Ranger 2 which is like the enhanced remake of Diamond and Pearl (kinda like Emerald for R&S or Crystal for G&S) which is Pokemon Platinum with Giratania on the cover. (Not at E3, but it's already announced.)

Has there been any word about the new COD: world at war??? :huh:

Yeah. There has been some mention. The big news is they've announced is 4 Player Online Co-Op and 2 Player Offline SplitScreen Co-Op both for the Campaign. HUGE news. They've also said a lot of the multiplayer will include vehicles, mainly tanks. I think that's about it. neo