UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man Overkill?

hellpop

I like Iron Man as much as anyone, and I know that the character's profile, between Civil War and the movie, has never been higher, but does anyone else think DST's gone a little nuts on the Iron Man related Minimates this year? Let's count how many their are for 2008....

The Civil War box set saw the release of modern Iron Man (1). Then we learn of the Classic Avengers box, with a gold Iron Man (1). Of course, there's the entire movie wave (7), and the two Iron Man characters (War Machine and Spymaster) in wave 23 (2). And finally, there's the SDCC exclusive box set (4).

1+1+7+2+4= 15!!! And that's not including the WM variant with the Tony Stark head!

Obviously, the number of different unique costumes Iron Man has sported makes him a valuable asset to any toy line. And, of course, not every figure is Iron Man himself. But that seems like an awful lot of space to devote to one character, when there are so many other characters crying out to be 'mated. Personally, I'm probably going to be skipping the box set, though I may pick up a "pointy mask" loose. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same.

I'd rather have Iron Man overkill than Wolverine or Spidey, or pretty much any other character for that matter.

I agree with Fujis, it does make good business sense to keep it fresh in everbody's mind, at least until the DVD release. If they keep hawking Iron Man stuff too much after that it will be a bit of overkill. But I would bet that we haven't seen the last of him for a while though. You know they are going to do a Secret Invasion set with him in it, as well as the Avengers movie wave once that comes out. I really wouldn't count the War Machine version coming out as another Iron Man per se since the focus is on Jim Rhodes and not Tony Stark (they just happen to have worn the same outfit), to me that's more of a well placed coincidence. :D

I wondered how long it would take to get a thread like this, I've been waiting for few months for the backlash ( pun intended).

Lets compare it to Spiderman, he got 2 waves for his movie and has had perhaps half a dozen other random versions lately?

I understand some folks will be frustrated and say that they aren't getting new characters instead but I suspect wave 23 will be the last IM stuff we see for a while. As people have pointed out it's riding the wave of publicity and Shell head is popular right now.

T.

Yes, but Spider-Man is Spider-Man, meaning that he is one of the most universally popular characters in all media. Iron Man has largely been several rungs down the ladder. It's kind of like comparing the amount of Batman and Superman toys made to Flash and Green Lantern; they just aren't as universally popular.

Yes, but Spider-Man is Spider-Man, meaning that he is one of the most universally popular characters in all media. Iron Man has largely been several rungs down the ladder. It's kind of like comparing the amount of Batman and Superman toys made to Flash and Green Lantern; they just aren't as universally popular.

Your comment was "that it was an awful lot of space to devote to one character" I just showed you that Spidey has had the same amount if not more space devoted to him. So it's ok to flood with the same figure if it's someone who is 'universally popular' rather than 'currently popular'? - should DST stop producing anyone but Spiderman in this case? ;)

I know there are a lot of IM mates about to hit... but the mates are a lot better than some of the labored Spidey mates we've seen ( how many half dressed P.Parker mates do we need?) . As I said post wave 23 I suspect we wont be seeing any IM stuff for a while.

T.

I'd felt for the longest time that the four Iron Men we had (stealth, regular, silver and classic) weren't nearly enough compared to Wolvie and Spidey. I see this as sort of a catch up...

I'd felt for the longest time that the four Iron Men we had (stealth, regular, silver and classic) weren't nearly enough compared to Wolvie and Spidey. I see this as sort of a catch up...

I thought you'd be one of the nay-sayers who would say we need less duplicates and more unique characters as you're still waiting on a Deadpool...because of this post and your lack of bitterness I'm going to join the "Deadpool for wave 24 25 campaign" ;)

T.

I don't mind all the Ironmen. . .as long as DST gives me this treatment for my favorite Avenger and we get an "all-Hawkeye/Clint Barton-related" wave soon:

-FA Hawkeye

-Mockingbird

-Second Goliath

-Ultimate Hawkeye

. . .er. . .uh, street clothes or suit-wearing Hawkeye? Battle damaged Hawkeye?

:)

Your comment was "that it was an awful lot of space to devote to one character" I just showed you that Spidey has had the same amount if not more space devoted to him. So it's ok to flood with the same figure if it's someone who is 'universally popular' rather than 'currently popular'? - should DST stop producing anyone but Spiderman in this case? ;)

I know there are a lot of IM mates about to hit... but the mates are a lot better than some of the labored Spidey mates we've seen ( how many half dressed P.Parker mates do we need?) . As I said post wave 23 I suspect we wont be seeing any IM stuff for a while.

T.

I would not say that it's "okay" to keep making Spider-men (or Spidey- related characters) but it sure makes sense. Personally, I find it frustrating that we have Minimates of the Scarlett Spider, Ben Reilly and Iron Spidey but not the Black Panther, Captain Marvel, or the Red Skull, but that's just me. I understand that any Marvel based toy line will inevitably cater to Spidey and the X-Men. Unfortunately.

In any event, the issue isn't really how many Iron Man Minimates there are overall, but how many are being rlease within this calender year. Did we ever see 15 Spidey or X-Men related figures in a calender year (that's not snark, BTW, I'm really asking). Heck, I also think two Captain Americas in one year is too much, but that's just me. ;)

I don't mind all the Ironmen. . .as long as DST gives me this treatment for my favorite Avenger and we get an "all-Hawkeye/Clint Barton-related" wave soon:

-FA Hawkeye

-Mockingbird

-Second Goliath

-Ultimate Hawkeye

That would be awesome! How about:

-WCA Hawkeye (with long sleeves)

-Kate Bishop

...okay, I'm out too. The Swordsman maybe? Oddball?

Did we ever see 15 Spidey or X-Men related figures in a calender year (that's not snark, BTW, I'm really asking). Heck, I also think two Captain Americas in one year is too much, but that's just me. ;)

Not sure on actual dates but how about off the top of my head, these are all within the last year.

Let's start with the 14 from the Spidey 3 waves,

Add 5 from the classic pack, ( Mcfarline Spidey, Hydroman etc)

Add Zombie, Iron spidey, amazing fantasy spidey, mysterio, scarlett spidey, hobgoblin, Web Armor Spidey.

I make that 26

*edit* Go look here for wave 24.... yep it's a spidey wave...

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...ost&p=74150

T.

I thought you'd be one of the nay-sayers who would say we need less duplicates and more unique characters as you're still waiting on a Deadpool...because of this post and your lack of bitterness I'm going to join the "Deadpool for wave 24 25 campaign" ;)

T.

Oh don't worry about that... It's only a matter of time before DST catches on to the fact that Deadpool is awesome, and give me a whole Deadpool wave...

Deadpool (classic)

Deadpool (modern)

Deadpool (ultimate)

Deadpool (AOA)

Deadpool (in boxers)

Agent X

VARIANT: Deadpool (Marvel Girl Outfit)

:D

T.

Oh don't worry about that... It's only a matter of time before DST catches on to the fact that Deadpool is awesome, and give me a whole Deadpool wave...

Deadpool (classic)

Deadpool (modern)

Deadpool (ultimate)

Deadpool (AOA)

Deadpool (in boxers)

Agent X

VARIANT: Deadpool (Marvel Girl Outfit)

:D

i'd surely buy all of those :D

i mean, deadpool could kick iron man's ass.....after a few hundred attemps.....but he'd do it ;) (hmmm, im thinking something like a secret deadpool invasion with a captain america deadpool and a ironman deadpool)

I think all the variations of Iron Man make MUCH more sense than "Spider-Man Wearing Backpack" and "Spider-Man Removing Venom Symbiote" and "Spider-Man Battle Damaged in a Different Way Than The Original Battle Damaged Spider-Man."

Theres no such thing as Iron Man overkill, If anything IM is the one Marvel/DC character that perfectly lends itself to multiple versions as there have been many different armours over the years, although I won't be satisfied until i've got a Hydro Armour/Stingray 2-pack from IM Vol. 1, #218 In my grubby little mitts!!

The Hydro Armour Rocks!!

Anything can happen In the next half hour...

I fact I want a multiple wave Armor Wars streak, Goddamit!

Tony Stark will rule the world!!

-FA Hawkeye

-Mockingbird

-Second Goliath

-Ultimate Hawkeye

I would buy all of those.

Iron-Man is a classic example of a character who is pretty much defined by him having various outfits, so makes sense to have multiple versions. I have no objection, at least this year with the movie anyway, especially as DST are making an effort with new molding. Now if we were getting a heavy parts reuse wave...

i think it is about time. ironman is supposed to have different armors. I am really excited to create my hall of armor! i say bring them on!

Yeah so its kinda like DST giving us a Hall of Armour! :confused:

So I guess we can officially say that no, no one thinks this is too many Iron Men. I bend to the masses! I'm still not buying all of them, though. ;)

For the record, my objection wasn't to the amount of Iron Men, but the amount in such a short period of time. But I do agree that he lends himself much better to multiple figures then just about any other character in comics, unless you count "Green Lantern" as one. So rock on Iron Man!

:ironman2:

Edited by hellpop