UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Interesting contest idea

So, I had this interesting idea a while back. You know how sometimes people will run design contests? Like way back in 1997 the USPS ran a stamp contest, and the 4 winning kids got their art on stamps, or how Lego does all the time where they'll have a contest and the winning entry has their design made into a set. What about something like that for Minimates?

DST could hold a design contest for a Minimate, or possibly a box set. I'm not sure if something like for Marvel would be better, or an independant design where they wouldn't have to approve licenses.

But either way, it's an interesting idea that has been pulled off before plenty of times. The only question is, would it work for Minimates?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...

FAIL...

Next...

T.

p.s. yes you're getting laughed at because DST won't even consider a fan contest where they pick who gets made, so actually asking if they'd let a fan design one is a pretty dumb idea. Having said that... Whoever designed those Hulk pieces from Wave 22 looked like it was a first attempt at minimate design.

Well, I don't think it's such a bad idea that it deserves being laughed at. Many, many other companies have a long history of doing just that. Like I said, Lego, Hasbro with GI Joe, the Four Horseman. So there is a precedence set already. To say that DST would never go for it is one thing. To openly laugh and call it a dumb idea is another.

Well, one thing that might be problematic is that Minimates aren't a hugely popular toy line made by a humongous corporation (unlike, say, GI Joe with Hasbro). Given that, I'm not sure that the idea would make sense, financially, from DST's standpoint. On the other hand, we've seen all kinds of freebie Minimates at comic cons, so if the design were purely cosmetic, and didn't require sculpting, it may not be beyond the realm of possibility. Now, I don't know anything about how decisions are made behind the scenes at DST (I'm sure TBT knows a lot more about this than I ever will), but I don't know that it is a stupid idea. Maybe the probability of it panning out are very low, but I don't see why you couldn't "ask Chuck" about it, anyway. . .

Now, I don't know anything about how decisions are made behind the scenes at DST (I'm sure TBT knows a lot more about this than I ever will),

The official line is a well researched blend of heavy drinking and a dartboard according to past Q&A's ;)

T.

Now, I don't know anything about how decisions are made behind the scenes at DST (I'm sure TBT knows a lot more about this than I ever will),

The official line is a well researched blend of heavy drinking and a dartboard according to past Q&A's ;)

T.

"........& the winner is buttheadsmate.....................

..........if he'd like to step up to the podium?........is he in the building?

(Distant voice from the Men's Room)-........ " I'm shtill decidin .....urp! blah!fuu-ur-tah :sick: bluert!

(Toilet flushes in Men's Room)......."Minesa Lagger & WTF asgot me darts?" :sick:

I do remember some sort of design a mate contest way back. I think Iron-Cow was one of the ppl that made the design into actual figure.

I have to agree with TBT that I cant see there being a very high chance of this ever happening.

I do remember some sort of design a mate contest way back. I think Iron-Cow was one of the ppl that made the design into actual figure.

I have to agree with TBT that I cant see there being a very high chance of this ever happening.

I think you're referring to the Sub Cultures Create-a-Mate line. They were 3" mates (IIRC) designed by, well, pretty much anyone who ponied up the $ to get in. Ultimately the concept was to release them as a line of artist/fan designed mates. Unfortunately it died on the vine. I'd have paid big $$ for some of the designs - especially the Evan Dorkin ones.

Fujis wrote a good article about the contest and how it died for MMHQ a couple of years back. You can read about it here More info is available here.

While fan-designing seem incredibly unlikely based on pass Q&As and the like, I think most would be happy with just fan-voting on a wave slot/2-pack.

I'm talking about the Shulkie Marvel Select figure which was originally exclusive to 2005 summer conventions and was chosen in a fan poll run by ToyFare magazine, allowing respondents to pick from five characters. Two of the characters were later released, which seems to imply that all were seriously designed and that the poll was really just to decide which to release first.

Say DST develops a wave and hold a poll with for the final two-pack or even just the chase figure, with a selection of options, with the "losers" perhaps appearing in later waves. Chases are meant for fans after all.

Yeah, I know, very unlikely. But just throwing out an option that IMO more likely than "design from scratch".