UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hot Water to Loosen Joints/Masks?

takeittothemax

Hi there, I'm new to this board and relatively new to minimates (although my collection is quickly growing). I picked up the Astonishing Cyclops/Emma Frost two pack the other day and I can't get Cyclops' mask off. It seems like his head is really loose on the neck piece and the mask is really tight on his head. I've heard this can be fixed by putting him in hot water. Can anyone vouch for that? Apologies is this has been brought up before.

Heat makes plastic more pliable. So I would say yes, putting your mate in hot water should help to loosen it up if you want to get his mask off. Another thing that I have done with stubborn masks, the ones that lead to you pulling the entire head off before the mask comes off, is to stick a small screw driver in the head's cavity (the more snug the screwdriver fits, the better), and hold it at an angle while pulling the mask in the opposite direction, if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

The first step I usually try is to pop the head onto a 2-1/2" MiniMate's shoulder joint. The ball is just enough bigger that it creates a very tight fit and gives you some leverage whilst trying to work the mask off.

Edited by Cappy

I thought you were supposed to use boiling water to re-set loose joints?

I'm no physicist, but heat does make things expand, so, that stands to reason. I've never thought about trying it, though. . .