UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Best TV show ever?

karamazov80

Just saw this posted on Aintitcoolnews:

http://www.empireonline.com/50greatesttv/

I find many of the choices here highly questionable, for instance:

-if the Muppet Show isn't in the top 10 I question the legitimacy of any such list, much less if it isn't even in the top 50

-the mediocre Dexter is listed higher than the great Monty Python's Flying Circus, the original Star Trek, Deadwood, and Veronica Mars. . .WTF???!!!!

-Family Guy is on the list??!!

There are lots of others. . .anyway, I personally liked this list better: http://www.ugo.com/tv/top50tvshows/

What do you fellas think is the best TV show ever? I gotsta go with the Wire. That show destroys all others. Next to Rowlf the Dog, Omar Little has to be the greatest TV character I've ever seen.

Edited by karamazov80

Dude, it's some random people you've never met with no real credentials making a "best of" list. Why even pay attention to something like that?

Just something to spark conversation, like the Toyfare best 100 toys of the last decade from last year. I personally like thinking about things like "top 10 jazz albums" or "top 10 Minimates," and when lists like these come out, it's fun to criticize them and to consider alternative listings. I'm not losing sleep over their picks or anything, I obviously know that only I could make the one, correct, top 50 TV show listing :)

Though, if the people making the list are writers and editors of an entertainment magazine, you would hope that they have some kind of credentials for making this kind of list.

Edited by karamazov80

The X-Files has got to be in any top ten ,well it's in mine. CSI, Lost,Twin Peaks,Heroes,Thunderbirds,Dr.Who,The Avengers,Man from Uncle, Tellytubbies*,The Simpsons,The Prisoner,Firefly,Dad's Army are not my Top Ten (or 13) but they would all be contenders. These days US shows lead the way!

*Of course I was joking :)

My top 10 would probably be something like:

10) the Simpsons

9) M*A*S*H

8) Star Trek

7) All In the Family

6) Monty Python's Flying Circus

5) Arrested Development

4) Twin Peaks

3) the Twilight Zone

2) the Muppet Show

1) the Wire

Honorable mention: Cheers, Cosby Show, the Office (UK), Sopranos, MST3K, Batman: the Animated Series, Lost, Freaks and Geeks, Battlestar Galactica, Cowboy Bebop, the Chappelle Show, GI Joe :)

I watch the majority of new action, scifi aired in UK but I dont know if it would make my top ten list.

In no order and what I can think of off the top of my head.

The Muppets

Family Guy (for me FG is better then The Simpsons)

Doctor Who (the new stuff and the old stuff)

Blake 7

Star Trek

Open All Hours

Porridge

Heroes

It's odd to see people list TV shows that I have never even heard of but that's a consequence of my age & where I live. To be honest I looked at my list again. It must be said that 'what seemed great at the time' often seems a tad disappointing even though it's 'digitally re-mastered,enhanced etc.etc.' when you watch it again for the first time in years on DVD. This is especially true IMO with comedy.I watched Monty Python as a teenager when it first aired on BBC2 & needless to say 'pissed myself'.Many years later when I was in the US ,people were continually referring to Mon Tea Pie Thon & 'how much we love British humor in the US' , trouble was by then I was into the 'Young Ones' & had almost(almost) tired of repeats of 'Fawlty Towers'! I think the point which I'm perhaps trying to make is that despite our memories of 'best ' & 'great' shows there is nothing quite like watching a new episode of a great new show. The show that currently personifies this is Lost,it's cult,incomprehensible & ridiculed in some quarters but to me it's class. If I had the chance to watch anything I wished for on TV tonight,it would be a new episode of Lost. Yall reckon Sawyer knows TM2 Dinobot? :rolleyes:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Wow, Thanks for starting this thread karamazov. I love things like this. Lists like this are so idiotic at times because people like different things. If we didn't there would only be one television station and it would be playing Oprah 24/7 :D.

The top of my list is very simple: LOST. Had you asked me several years ago, it would be a toss up for #1, but after watching the show that has now become the addition that is just refered to as "getting LOST", there is no question. The show is character driven and shows off some of the best writing in the history of television. Sure, there are filler episodes, but name me a show that doesn't have filler episodes? In the end, I've never been more determined to be in front of my TV at any other time in my life. But, come Thursdays, Jesus could be having a town meeting down the road and I would still be in front of my TV........getting LOST!

Other than that though, I would put the new Battlestar Galactica, 24, Friends, and Batman: The Animated Series. I would probably throw in Heroes, but with only 1 1/2 seasons, I'll hold a place in the top 10 until we see a little more! neo

Heroes tops my list. End of story.

Anyway, I was wondering how kick-Ass it would be if marvel decidedto do live action shows of characters like a live action X-Men. Think about it: X-Men has too much to it to be covered in three-to-eight movies, so make an X-Men TV series and be done with it. That way, you can have the original X-Men team for one episode fighting Pyro (seems like a good first enemy), in Episode two bring in Wolverine and Magneto and for the rest of the season do the brotherhood. Season two is when all hell beaks loose because the Sentinels are unvieled. Deal with them for a while then begin the Apocalypse Saga, then Phoenix, then end the series with the return of the Sentinels who attack Asteroid M during the final episodes and it crashes to Earth with the entire brotherhood inside. The series ends with the acceptance of a new student into Xavier's school who happens to be, I don't know, Gambit.

I'll flesh it out more when I have more time, but for now, does that kick ass or not?

I think doing an hour-long, weekly show based on a major comic property could work. We've had comic-based prime-time shows meet with varying levels of success in the past, but the fact that comic-related movies and comic-inspired TV shows (Lost, Smallville, Heroes) are so popular now (I think the Flash show came too soon), and the fact that amazing special effects are relatively cheap to produce, a weekly live action Batman or X-Men might work well. . .if it were made the right way. On the other hand, anybody remember Blade: the TV Series, Birds of Prey, or Superboy?

You get JJ Abrams and Brian K. Vaughn producing a licensed super-hero show, and I bet you will get some nice, quality work, and some nice ratings out of it. Personally, with the success of Walking Dead, I've thought for a while that an hour-long zombie drama on HBO or Showtime would be really awesome. You bring in Robert Kirkman as a consultant on it, get Greg Nicotero to help with the make-up early on, and you've got a winning formula.

I agree Trekker. After following Heroes and Smallville it has really made me think of the possibilities of a few major franchises on the small screen. Here are a few of my ideas:

X-Men

-I think in order for the show to be great it needs to be character driver like LOST or Heroes and not try to be super action packed. The first season should focus on Scott Summers, Jean Grey, and Bobby Drake. The season could start as a school, Bobby shows up but is looking for a curse because he can't control his power. He then, realizing there is no cure, learns to grow and control his power. Cyclops would be the main player (or our Jack, if you will) who's goal is to save everyone. He's the boy scout. Jean is the voice of reason, and the one who makes life bearable for mutants. Bobby would be the comic relief while Beast would be the intelligent, loveable big guy! Warren would be a wild card. He could be played as a cocky self righteous playboy who learns over the course of the season how to be a teammate. Or they could play him as the tragic hero who resents his gift and constantly tries to take his life or run away from his destiny. They whole first season should focus on the 1st 5 X-men with the Brother hood trickled in here and there. It should play more like Heroes as you don't have a battle each episode. It doesn't need to be like Smallville's freak of the week design. These characters are coming of age together. Half way through they learn of Magneto and then the season will crescendo to a huge confrontation at the Finale. One X-man dies (Beast), One is believed to be dead (Angel - lost to return later) and the X-men are beaten and discouraged. In order for it to work, for me, it has to be about the characters, not about the powers!

Batman

-This is the one that I want more than anything. Batman, I believe, more than any other comic hero is made for the small screen. There are no flash superpowers needed. He is a guy, in a suit, with weapons. He is Jack Bauer in a cape……but more kick A. Also character driver as a show, it should focus on the Playboy Bruce Banner and the legacy he is trying to leave on a dying city. However, the night is ruled by a myth that everyone believes in. Shoot it more like a Flashy CSI rather than a action packed superhero show. Have Batman be the great Detective. Car Chases, Murder Scenes, and a strange hint of an underground Mob. I don’t believe that any comic character plays into the small screen like Batman. I love the movies, but a weekly dose of mystery and drama on the dark streets of Gotham would be amazing!

Anyway, I love the ideas of more stuff like this on TV. And the way technology is getting, I believe it’s becoming more and more possible! neo

I think X-Men could really work as a tv-drama. Especially if they don't call it 'X-Men'. I like Smallville because its not called Superman. I think you should send a script for a pilot to some big-shot tv bosses Neo. ;)

It would definately have to be charatcter orientated, as if it was as Trekker described it, I'd get bored within a few weeks. I know I'll get stoned for this, but it would be much better if they didn't bring in Wolverine for a long time, as he would steal the show too much and all the other characters would loose limelight. I know I'd watch this show every week.

Edited by Dan

I think X-Men could really work as a tv-drama. Especially if they don't call it 'X-Men'. I like Smallville because its not called Superman. I think you should send a script for a pilot to some big-shot tv bosses Neo. ;)

It would definately have to be charatcter orientated, as if it was as Trekker described it, I'd get bored within a few weeks. I know I'll get stoned for this, but it would be much better if they didn't bring in Wolverine for a long time, as he would steal the show too much and all the other characters would loose limelight. I know I'd watch this show every week.

I just thought of this, so bear with me. Maybe instead of an X-Men show, make it about the Brotherhood and its beginnings and its views and its occasional conflicts with the humans, Sentinels and, of course, The X-Men. The pilot would have to be all Magneto of course.

And Neo, I like your idea but instead of killing beast have him survive and Angel is captured and no seen again for a while then pops up as Archangel in Season two's finale. We should consult and make a full-fledged script and let Marvel see it, see how kick-ass it is, and then make it and pay us a lot of money for wirting this thing :D

Ha, you got that right. I like the idea of Beast living. For it to be successful you would have to have everyone believe that Warren was dead at the end of season 1. And, I LOVE the idea of the Dramatic Appearance of Death Angel in a Season 2 Finale. Of course, I would still hold the reveal of his Identity until early in the 3rd season. Man, that would be awesome. You guys have got me so excited, I'm going to start working on the script, just for fun.

And I agree completely with Dan about Wolive. He would be nowhere in sight during the 1st and probably 2nd seasons. If it made it past that, I would probably bring him in, but he would not be a regular. He would be a loner and come and go through the season. neo

Ha, you got that right. I like the idea of Beast living. For it to be successful you would have to have everyone believe that Warren was dead at the end of season 1. And, I LOVE the idea of the Dramatic Appearance of Death Angel in a Season 2 Finale. Of course, I would still hold the reveal of his Identity until early in the 3rd season. Man, that would be awesome. You guys have got me so excited, I'm going to start working on the script, just for fun.

And I agree completely with Dan about Wolive. He would be nowhere in sight during the 1st and probably 2nd seasons. If it made it past that, I would probably bring him in, but he would not be a regular. He would be a loner and come and go through the season. neo

But if this tall blue guy with blond hair shows up with giant metal wings and the X-Men have these horrified shocked looks on their faces, wouldn't people pretty much know that It's Angel?

Also what do you think of the Brotherhood? Perhaps a spin-off.

BTW Title it "Mutants" as it is what Stan the Man wanted to call the X-Men originally.

If you remember the original story of Death. He wore a Gold Skull looking mask and a hood over his head. So, they wouldn't know what his face looked like and they wouldn't know he had Blonde hair.

I like the Brotherhood idea, but I wouldn't like a whole show focused on the low class bad guys. The more I was thinking about it, I really loved the New X-Men series that started a few years back. Maybe a show staring an older Cyclops training up new Mutants would be a better show. They would have to deal with the High School years being a Mutant. You could have guest appearances from all your favorite X-Men as the show progressed. That could be a cool idea too! neo

If you remember the original story of Death. He wore a Gold Skull looking mask and a hood over his head. So, they wouldn't know what his face looked like and they wouldn't know he had Blonde hair.

I like the Brotherhood idea, but I wouldn't like a whole show focused on the low class bad guys. The more I was thinking about it, I really loved the New X-Men series that started a few years back. Maybe a show staring an older Cyclops training up new Mutants would be a better show. They would have to deal with the High School years being a Mutant. You could have guest appearances from all your favorite X-Men as the show progressed. That could be a cool idea too! neo

Wait a second, low-class bad guys? The Brotherhood is one of the premier Super-Villain teams in their heyday and in Ultimate U. they're still going strong. Think about it, there's Magneto one of the mos powerful vilains ever, there's Sabertooth, a merciless moster, Scarlet Witch, who decimated the mutant population, and Quicksilver, who is so fast it's not even funny. Avalache is cool and the Blob is going to take a very second-string role so he doesn't appear much. Also we could put Havok in the Brotherhood to add conflict there.

No, the Brotherhood is not low-class.

What say we make this it's own topic, eh? It's kinda cluttering this one.

Edited by Trekker 42