UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So I know no one liked them when they were out

TM2 Dinobot

But I miss The Batman Minimates. My need for a The Batman style Batgirl is killing me. Everyone else is comparable, except Ivy and Freeze, but we don't have them at all, but Batgirl's design is a drastic departure from all other Batgirl designs. I love it. I want it. I NEED it!

*sigh* I know with DC as a whole canceled, there's no chance of getting one. But I still want a C3 Teh Batman style Batgirl. :(

While I'm at it I want a No. 9 wash tub packed tith $100 bills reeeeeeeeeeeeeal tight. :P

Well I was working at TRU when they came out, so I know part of the reason, at least there. At first we stocked them in action figures. Being Batman and all that. But then we moved them to Legos. But Lego and Megablock have a fairly tight grip on the market, so they complained. So we THEN moved then into the far mack corner, next to Lincon Logs and Tinker Toys. K'Nex got more exposre than C3 did. Shortly thereafter they were all clearanced out.

Hell, they weren't selling so much that I was sick one day and my manager put me on the far register that no one uses, and I asked her if I could play with them so she said okay. Aside from being sicker than a dog, it was a great day. I got paid to play with the Batwing. And yes, I did keep Batman when I had to put the set in returns. But the Batwing managed to stay on display for like a week.

Sometimes I almost miss working there.

...Almost.

Well I was working at TRU when they came out, so I know part of the reason, at least there. At first we stocked them in action figures. Being Batman and all that. But then we moved them to Legos. But Lego and Megablock have a fairly tight grip on the market, so they complained. So we THEN moved then into the far mack corner, next to Lincon Logs and Tinker Toys. K'Nex got more exposre than C3 did. Shortly thereafter they were all clearanced out.

Hell, they weren't selling so much that I was sick one day and my manager put me on the far register that no one uses, and I asked her if I could play with them so she said okay. Aside from being sicker than a dog, it was a great day. I got paid to play with the Batwing. And yes, I did keep Batman when I had to put the set in returns. But the Batwing managed to stay on display for like a week.

...Almost.

You had a nice manager if she let you play around, even if you were sick or not. I loved the toys there but hated the management where I worked. It reminds me of that Clerks movie qoute "This job would be great if it weren't for the f**ing customers." ;) After they clearanced all of the C3 sets, the unsold sets which were a lot ranging from the mini-flyers to batcaves were all stored by the lego section but near ceiling level. I got the few sets that were left for a few dollars. I found this stash late in my working there but was never able to get to it. You needed an extremely long ladder to even tickle the boxes. I asked for it to be lower down but they didn't want to touch them. <_< In my last days there I hovered around plotting their release but they were too high up.

A C3 batgirl, poison ivy, and Ras al ghoul's daughter talia needed to be done.

Dang, the Toys R us in Canada never carried the C3 sets. We only ever had the marvel four pack (first wave with no hidden figure) LOTR 4-packs and BSG series one. The C3 sets were at the walmart though. I sure wish I bought them back then when I saw them.

I also agree that working at TRU is not all that cracked up to be.

...Almost.

The lack of diversity didn't help things either. Of the initial wave of C3 sets, only the Superman/Darkseid set didn't have Batman. There was just way too much Bat-stuff too fast. The mini-flyers and Javelin didn't come out until the C3 line was already winding down.

I was a relatively late-starter on 'mates in general & just cannot understand to this day why C3 failed . If they were 'new' today & we had never seen them before (hypothetically) they would fly* off the shelves . YTF was that??

*pun intended

It was a number of things I think. Minis were still new, C3 wasn't cheap and no one had heard of them. The Batcave was a disaster (still is). The first wave of product had many issues like bad bricks and faulty figures. I got a Robin with two of the same arm and missing a part, a brick that was only partially formed in another set, and a missle launcher on my Stealth Batwing that would not fire. The problems were no help for the line.

I was also late starting collecting Minimates and picked up a fair bit of the C3 stuff in sales towards its end. Yes, it was flawed in some respects, but it did add a lot of wider appeal to Minimates (I initially bought it to fit with my LEGO Batman stuff, but that soon changed). I think, with the announcement that DCD are 'resting' Minimates (whatever that means) it would be good if C3 was given a second shot, as Minimates have come a long way since then.

I was a relatively late-starter on 'mates in general & just cannot understand to this day why C3 failed . If they were 'new' today & we had never seen them before (hypothetically) they would fly* off the shelves . YTF was that??

*pun intended

It was a number of things I think. Minis were still new, C3 wasn't cheap and no one had heard of them. The Batcave was a disaster (still is). The first wave of product had many issues like bad bricks and faulty figures. I got a Robin with two of the same arm and missing a part, a brick that was only partially formed in another set, and a missle launcher on my Stealth Batwing that would not fire. The problems were no help for the line.

On a positive note though, despite the myriad of problems with the line, Playalong was really excellent with customer service and replacing missing/bad parts IMO. At least, until the line was dead and they ran out of replacements... :)

On a positive note though, despite the myriad of problems with the line, Playalong was really excellent with customer service and replacing missing/bad parts IMO. At least, until the line was dead and they ran out of replacements... :)

Yep Stephanie was a total Gem...

The sad part is I think people realized and started to take advantage :(

T.

I agree. People were complaining about figures being broken to get new, free ones. I talked to her one day about issues I had and she said that they were starting to keep track of addresses because she was starting to recognize the same ones...

Despite the inferior quality of the product, they did have outstanding customer service. I bought a Batcopter online only to discover that the seller had decided to keep the Batman figure. I contacted their customer service and though they couldn't send me the figure I was missing, they did send me seven others to make up for it.

I do agree with what has been said here. Though the minimates were nice, the building sets were well below Lego standards. The amount of duplicate parts and missing parts were staggering, and some of the sets wouldn't stay together well (I think Danny's Batcave review pretty much says it all). It was a good concept, and one I wouldn't mind seeing revisited with a wider selection of characters, but only if they work out those kinks from the original line.

Although some sets were inferior in construction quality, i loved the look of the c3 sets once they were pieced together. I was much more disappointed in the Batman Lego sets: felt they lacked imagination and contained way too many rehashed bits and gimmics from other Lego offerings.

PS- I did buy the Lego Batmobile and Lego Bat-boat and retooled them for my Batman minimates. Suck on that, crappy Lego mini-figs!!!

some of the sets wouldn't stay together well (I think Danny's Batcave review pretty much says it all.

Not so much the review as the two attempts at building it for the Progress Updates. That was hard work for something that was supposed to be fun.

Yet some of the sets were superb - the Stealth Batwing is one of my favourite Minimate things ever.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I hope someday DST will get the JLU license and release some more mini-flyers. Mini-flyers for Aztek,Martian Manhunter,

The Atom,Huntress,and the Justice Lords.

Not a bloody chance in Hell. I have to know, do you think before opening your mouth, or do the words just kinda fall out of your trap fully formed? If so, I think we've found the immaculate conception on speech. Sit right there, I'll get you the Pope.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I hope someday DST will get the JLU license and release some more mini-flyers. Mini-flyers for Aztek,Martian Manhunter,

Not a bloody chance in Hell. I have to know, do you think before opening your mouth, or do the words just kinda fall out of your trap fully formed? If so, I think we've found the immaculate conception on speech. Sit right there, I'll get you the Pope.

The phrase pot calling kettle black springs to mind here...

T.

• 2 weeks later...

The phrase pot calling kettle black springs to mind here...

T.

Aww, I love you too, big guy. :)

BTW, haven't finished yet, but I thought I'd share. I got the flats done at least.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/Twist...t=babsflats.png

Edited by TM2 Dinobot