UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DOCTOR WHO Minimates

They fixed the Daleks toward the end of the original series. The Doctor's taunting one from the top of a staircase and is a tad shocked when it starts floating up toward him :D

Actually that was Rose running up the stairs with a security guard and the other kid that they picked up and took to the future.

Felt this might be relevant.

Actually it was the Doctor back in the 80's. Rose wasn't even old enough to have had a dodgy pop career by then!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7BuWFXYcDk4

How do you eat when you have your foot in your mouth all the time?;)

T.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They fixed the Daleks toward the end of the original series. The Doctor's taunting one from the top of a staircase and is a tad shocked when it starts floating up toward him :D

Actually that was Rose running up the stairs with a security guard and the other kid that they picked up and took to the future.

Felt this might be relevant.

Actually it was the Doctor back in the 80's. Rose wasn't even old enough to have had a dodgy pop career by then!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7BuWFXYcDk4

How do you eat when you have your foot in your mouth all the time?;)

T.

I thought the big deal was in the new series was that they fly, because they didn't before? I thought that was the entire issue. Oh well.

How do you eat when you have your foot in your mouth all the time? ;)

T.

HA! best quote all day!

STFU man. You are quite literally ONE more slight away from going on my ignore list. This is like the third time this month you've publicly made fun of me and I've been politely ignoring you. I'm not gona tell you again. BACK. THE HELL. OFF!

I thought the big deal was in the new series was that they fly, because they didn't before? I thought that was the entire issue. Oh well.

The big deal is they are Daleks... ;)

DR Who without Daleks is like having BSG without Cylons or Star Wars without Storm Troopers or GI Joe without Cobra...

If you can get past the somewhat dodgy acting and seriously stone age special effects you should dig out some old Dr Who it's great (especially the daleks). *Basks in the warm fuzzy glow of my childhood behind the sofa*

T.

p.s. Is spring in the air, cos you and MoC seem to have started some sort of mating ritual :P

p.s. Wow that's freaky I posted then edited and by the time I'd completed the edit you'd quoted me! ( see below)

The big issue is they are Daleks... ;)

DR Who without Daleks is like having BSG without Cylons or Star Wars without Storm Troopers or GI Joe without Cobra... except Dr? was doing about 40yrs earlier :)

T.

Well I knew that. I mean they're freakin Daleks. But I seem to remember people flipping out because they can fly now. This was a while ago. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Either way, I'm not a very good Whovinite. Never professed to be. I just like the show.

The big issue is they are Daleks... ;)

DR Who without Daleks is like having BSG without Cylons or Star Wars without Storm Troopers or GI Joe without Cobra... except Dr? was doing about 40yrs earlier :)

T.

Well I knew that. I mean they're freakin Daleks. But I seem to remember people flipping out because they can fly now. This was a while ago. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Either way, I'm not a very good Whovinite. Never professed to be. I just like the show.

You're both right! The "return" of the legendary adversaries was big enough news, but thanks to technological-advances in special effects, the Daleks were finally able to visually demonstrate why they were considered such a threat (shielding, levitation, cellular-regeneration, etc.). In the past, their abilities were simply relegated to foot-notes or character-bios due to the limitations of budget and special effects. I remember watching Dr. Who during the "Baker-Era" and thinking (as a child) "Greatest-threat-in the Universe, my ass! I could side-step one and simply push him over like a trashcan!". That, and you never really saw more than 4-6 Daleks at any given time, which made them seem far less menacing than they were intended to be. At any rate, I absolutlely love the new series (one of the best shows on T.V. IMO) and am thrilled that we're getting 'mates. I'm even more thrilled that Underground Toys will be leading the project rather than DST as I've got issues with their character selection and marketing decisions (primarily Marvel). Hope these do well, as there are many great opportunities for expansion in this particular franchise.

That show always bugged me. Ooooh the Daleks are coming. Ok, just find some uneven ground or a hill and they'll never get to you. LOL. However, if they ever make one of the guy with the really long scarf from when I was a kid, I'd buy that. I think the actor's name was Tom Baker? The only Doctor Who I ever liked.

C'mon man, this from the man pays homage to the sloth-like Cylons who, despite computer-targeting, had incredibly poor aim?!? :P

I'd expect your "suspension-of-disbelief" and sense of humor to be better! Levitating trash-cans are spooky! Cylons had the cool "roving-eye", Daleks had the creepy-ass "squawk". I grew-up in the "Tom Baker Era" too and he will always be my favorite despite the less than stellar effects. I truly hope that we eventually get some offerings from the "classic" incarnations (even a few boxsets would be cool: regenerations, Dalek, Cybermen, etc.). However, I can't recommend the new series (especially Seasons 1 & 2) enough. It's an incredibly witty and very well done series (my second favorite show after BSG). Do yourself a favor and check it out if you're not familiar with the new stuff.

Note to self: Never mess with Dr. Who nerds. Never. ;) Will still only buy Tom Baker though. They better make a TARDIS for him.

I have not watched The Dr. Who since I was knee high to a grasshopper :P

Simply the fact that these are Sci-Fi mates (and from what I read/hear a great Sci-fi at that) I will most definitly be picking these up. I have always loved the look of the Daleks and hope they have them in the line.

More Science fiction Mates please!!!!!!!!!

cool news, but i'll be more excited when i see classic Doctor mates

Of course we'll never see "classic" Who unless the first, "new" Who sell. Hopefully our British-bretheren can pick-up the slack (assuming that these will be an international release). Give us some "Dalek/Cyberman" army-builder sets and I'll do my share!

Of course we'll never see "classic" Who unless the first, "new" Who sell. Hopefully our British-bretheren can pick-up the slack (assuming that these will be an international release). Give us some "Dalek/Cyberman" army-builder sets and I'll do my share!

That's the danger isn't it? Hopefully Underground will pay for the CE safety testing necessary to sell them in Europe. If that doesn't happen then it's only likely to be 'mate fans in the know, and clued up Who fans that'll end up grey importing them for themselves. If they do pay for the testing then these things will fly off of the shelves once kids see em.

That's the danger isn't it? Hopefully Underground will pay for the CE safety testing necessary to sell them in Europe. If that doesn't happen then it's only likely to be 'mate fans in the know, and clued up Who fans that'll end up grey importing them for themselves. If they do pay for the testing then these things will fly off of the shelves once kids see em.

which would introduce kids to the world of minimates & when they realise the potential of having the doc meeting spider-man, batman, rocky, taking on the marvel zombies, battling the cylons etc, etc, etc

and the fact that they can be used with "generic building block's!!!"

may build up a demand for minimates outside of your friendly neighbourhood comic shop

DST may regret their decision not to ship to Europe

and we all know once you start down the minimate path, forever with it dom-minimate you bank balance!!

Just a though people but when these do come out most will be looking for a decent scale TARDIS to go with them.

Check out; http://www.thetoyshop.com/Toys/TVAndFilms/...+The+Doctor.jsp

It's perfect scale for minimates, I got one a while ago and added lights to it. Now just for the doctor to arrive....

You're right, it's the perfect scale for 'mates. I can't believe they made it so large for the micro universe figures.

Just a though people but when these do come out most will be looking for a decent scale TARDIS to go with them.

Check out; http://www.thetoyshop.com/Toys/TVAndFilms/...+The+Doctor.jsp

It's perfect scale for minimates, I got one a while ago and added lights to it. Now just for the doctor to arrive....

You're right, it's the perfect scale for 'mates. I can't believe they made it so large for the micro universe figures.

Rad,

Pix with a mini please? :)

T.

While I'm not 100% sure how the relation between Underground Toys (U.S. distributor for Character Options products) and Character Options functions exactly, it would seem that they would attempt some sort of arrangement in that Character Options would (in turn) distribute Underground Toys' product in the U.K. Don't quote me on this, perhaps someone more "in-the-know" can answer this question. It just seems that this would be a natural-arrangement that would benefit both parties (if contractually possible). I would think that C.O. would love to add this line to their already enormous Dr. Who catalog. I just recently found (very limited ammounts) C.O. Dr. Who figures and Cyberman "voice-change" helmets in Toys R Us in Kansas of all places, so perhaps this could be an option. Imagine being able to walk-in TRU and buy Minimates again. This, and perhaps Woolworths, Argos, etc. in the U.K. too! These really need to reach the British, as I sincerely doubt that the U.S. has a large enough fan-base ('mates or Who) to ensure success.

No offence to anyone, but I sincerely doubt that DST could have pulled this off. Kudos to Underground Toys for stepping-up and seizing the opportunity and adding yet a third venue (while DCD's part is still uncertain at the moment) to our Minimate conquest. B)