UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

E-Spectrum No. 60

Yeah - Madonna minimates must be some type of cruel joke... especially Desperately Seeking Susan... :sick:

If we had to get Madonna, at least it could be Truth or Dare Madonna.... Conical, Pointy Boobs might be regarded as a weapon.

If we must cater to someone at DST's obvious personal need for a Madonna-mate, then I'd have at least preferred "Breathless"...along with the rest of the colorful-cast of "Dick Tracy"(though the convenience of the "MGM catalog" deal cements the DSD)!

OK, I get it; after years of mates being marketed primarily through "specialty shops" (ie. Comic Shops that cater predominantly to Superhero/SciFi-Fantasy crowds) DST is once again trying to branch-out and get a stronger foot-hold in it's latest/last venue, that being the SunCoast/FYE chain (and rightly so). This seems logical to me (in theory, that is), but "Desperately Seeking Susan"?! As a kitschy-cool custom=absolutely! As one two-pack amidst other cult films in a series under the banner: "MovieMates"=perhaps. However, as it's own stand-alone merchandise...eh, not-so-much. Perhaps I'm gravely underestimating the fan-base or commercial-draw of this film, but I just don't see it. Surely there are much better selections from the MGM Catalog (we've discussed many in other threads: "Bond", "Escape From New York",etc., etc. ...Hell, "Wizard of Oz" seems more logical!). Don't get me wrong, a Madonna-mate would be cool, but it just seems that someone is abusing their decisive-powers to fulfill their own personal desires without being commercially objective (Chuck, do you have a "crush"? tee-hee). The only thing more ridiculous than this, is the preposed "Rain Man" mates (WTF)!! The only redeemable quality of these mates IMO will be for slap-stick captions ala: MEGO Theater. "Yeah, yeah. Definitely not a virgin...time for Whopner". Christ, that wasn't even fun to type.

One could also look at the situation thusly: DST has a record of building up anticipation for the Toy Fair (and other conventions). Consider this a little sneak announcement to whet our interest. Meaning more, bigger announcements are sure to come. The real bummer would be if DST considered this to be their Big News for the Toy Fair. Apparently, they don't. :)

I agree, Cappy. I'm guessing this will be a Toy Fair give-away. Madonna anything draws media attention, and it would be a crafty move to give these out to prospective retailers. Whimsical and fun too. I would be surprised if Madonna minimates are part of anything for sale.

My question is: what parts would they use?

If it is a Toy Fair promo, history would suggest they won't go to the expense of tooling new parts for a couple-hundred-run giveaway. She's got some pretty crazy hair in that movie; I can't think of any existing parts that could be easily swapped in. Ma Hunkel's poofball? Ultimate Sabretooth's/Sentry's shaggy mane? Michelle Dessler's (from 24) locks? Would they just use a generic Marvel female hairpiece?

Okay, quick custom experts, there's your homework assignment... :)

Two things spring to mind reading this...

Firstly, Way back Chuck made a comment about them throwing D.S.S. into the list of MGM movies as a private joke because his wife loves that movie. ( It might have been in a Q&A or at a convention, if I get time later I'll do a search of the site.)

Secondly, I would expect there to be thousands, or at the least a thousand. Talking to them in the past about promo's they have implied that they cannot get VERY short runs made and they have to do runs of a higher number just to get the factory do do them. If you were a factory would you setup for a run of a couple of hundred items of a toy that sells for a few $$ (by that you can work out how much they get per mate made), nope didn't think so.

T.

Why does everyone think Marvel minis are dead? Its been revealed that DST will no longer make Marvel Resin. Thats it!

Calm down. You'll get the full scoop soon, straight from the horses mouth.

Why does everyone think Marvel minis are dead? Its been revealed that DST will no longer make Marvel Resin. Thats it!

Calm down. You'll get the full scoop soon, straight from the horses mouth.

what if its a skrull thats been hypnotized into thinking & shape shifted into a horse & gives us the wrong info.....