UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AFX shipping ripoff

Webhead

As far as the comments against AFX goes, I dunno how much of them will filter back to them.

I'd say quiet a bit, they have followed two suggestions that were brought up here, the $75 buy anything sale and then adding the defenders set to the now infamous holiday list.

T.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the multiverse can officially notify AFX of anything BHM. We're a discussion forum not a watchdog. I also don't think what we're seeing is a witchhunt as such. Just a lot of pissed off punters letting off a bit of steam. Maybe AFX will take on board some of the criticism levelled against them? Then again maybe they're not even reading this forum? We are, after all just a teeny tiny microscopic segment of the interweb entire.

In this discussion forum on November 9,2007 ,Shanester brought to our attention for the first time the AFX, Spider-Armor Exclusive Offer. It began with the words 'From Pat over at AFX ' . So ,if 'Pat over at AFX ' is aware of Shanester ,he is probably aware of the forum, & actively reading it. ;)

Pat contacting Shanester doesn't really constitute the Multiverse as an official spokesperson for anything. It's no different than getting those promotional emails in your inbox.

Besides, which looks better when trying to turn a head: a single email from someone saying they represent their friends, or a hundred emails representing each customer that has been slighted? There's a reason why a hundred people sign a petition instead of "Joe Schmo and friends".

On the other hand, if the Multiverse is considered an entity in this argument, then how would it be different than Stuckakid contacting AFX on their shipping practices, which would come across as a little rude.

The lesson: sometimes a personal touch is better than an official one.

And knowing's half the battle!

Its not like all members of this board hold a consensus view on the issue. I, for one, can understand why they have the shipping and handling prices that they do. I may not like it, but I can empathize. Given that, I don't think it would be appropriate for a forum where people discuss toys to officially endorse a particular view on much of anything. . .except maybe love for these toys :)

I understand where everyone is coming from. To be honest, I don't know if Pat reads the forums or not. He is aware of us for sure, because he supplies me with the banners I host. Lets try this... everyone continue to post your grievances with this particular situation in a non-insulting, constructive manner (as you have so far) and I'll send him a link, letting him know the score.

Sound good?

I called AFX and they gladly refunded the shipping from a combined box situation. They told me that there is a section on their website that explains if you have separate orders w/combined shipping, to contact them and they will issue the refund difference. They also said every box leaving the warehouse is in a new box, sealed properly, and that they have had numerous complaints about UPS damaging cartons, so they are in talks w/FEDEX. I feel very much informed after placing the call. I encourage anyone who has a valid complaint to reach out to AFX and give them a chance to help you. After all, I am 100% positive they need your business. And No, I do not work for AFX.

Don't jump all over me like what happened to Cappy! I hope you are feeling OK Cappy, I got your back bro!

WW4M

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Canada too and appears they kicked the box all the way to my front door. They stopped at the border for some unexpected (?) costs though. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for you Cyclon and the other (?) member(s) that recieved their items in good time and good order but I've seen better things in the trash than what showed up or rather I had to pick (ups).

The package condition is often the responsibility of the carrier.

I don't know if you've ever seen the guys from the post office or UPS handle boxes.

Those guys are brutal especially this time of year when they're trying to fit every last package onto their carts and trucks to deliver them. I was watching one of those guys punch and pound boxes onto a crowded hand cart just to get a couple more items on for delivery.

Charging too much is one thing - but going out of their way to sit on your box and then kick it a few times before using it to break in a new hammer is just inviting trouble for them down the road.

I can blame afx for the condition the boxes I bought them from AFX off THEIR website I used a carrier THEY supplied so it's THEIR fault I don't see any other way to look at it. If I sold stuff and I got a rash of complaints about the condition of the packages I would switch couriers seems pretty simple to me.

The items themselves weren't damaged but most of the time I don't open the boxes and when they're all beat up it kind of sucks :(

I understand that. It's possible you could contact AFX and they'd be able to help you sort things with the carrier. However, if the items weren't damaged, why are you concerned with the condition of the box they were mailed in? (Sorry - not trying to be a smart ass, just curious why the shipping carton matters so much.)

However, if the items weren't damaged, why are you concerned with the condition of the box they were mailed in? (Sorry - not trying to be a smart ass, just curious why the shipping carton matters so much.)

I think you misunderstood him. The way I read it is that the minimates (or whatever) weren't damaged, but their packaging was. So, if you're a MIB kind of guy, then it could be a problem, whereas if you're a "tear them suckers open" kind of guy, then it's no big deal.

As far as who is responsible for the damaged boxes, I'm not sure exactly how to place blame. While I can see UPS (or any carrier for that matter) being more hassled and thus having more inexperienced or uncaring hands on the boxes, it still seems odd that so many people would have damaged products throughout the world. At the same time, its entirely possible that the kink in the chain is in a carrier station closer to AFX's end, but to be honest, what company would tell a customer, "we caught our guys playing soccer with your box"

Overall, I don't sweat damaged boxes too much, because the sheer number of people handling my items is so large that you kind of have to expect some wear and tear. It's when there's big gouges in the box or the items inside damaged or destroyed that I really start to get irritated.

But what rubs me the wrong way about the AFX business model is how they handle the shipping charges for combined orders. Yes, they offer refunds when they save you on shipping by combining orders, but rather than offer it up front, it requires a customer to file a complaint to get the money. To me, that's a bad practice, because it seems like they're banking on us saying screw the hassle and let them keep the $8 or however much it was.

But what rubs me the wrong way about the AFX business model is how they handle the shipping charges for combined orders. Yes, they offer refunds when they save you on shipping by combining orders, but rather than offer it up front, it requires a customer to file a complaint to get the money. To me, that's a bad practice, because it seems like they're banking on us saying screw the hassle and let them keep the $8 or however much it was.

The fact that combined shipping seems to be the norm suggests that this is a conscious decision on their part (they did this to me, too). However, I personally have no problem with it re: Web Armor Spidey. In fact, I prefer it. By giving you a shipping refund for two orders, you essentially get back most of the excessive shipping charges that you would otherwise have to pay if they were shipped separately. . .

The fact that combined shipping seems to be the norm suggests that this is a conscious decision on their part (they did this to me, too). However, I personally have no problem with it re: Web Armor Spidey. In fact, I prefer it. By giving you a shipping refund for two orders, you essentially get back most of the excessive shipping charges that you would otherwise have to pay if they were shipped separately. . .

I think you're misunderstanding my complaint. I'm all for the combined shipping and the refund for the amount saved. My complaint lies in the fact that you have to file a complaint with the company to even see that refund, as opposed to it being an automatic reimbursement, as other companies will do. Even eBay sellers will combine shipping charges and inform you of the cost you saved. AFX just takes the money and sits on it until someone asks questions.

However, if the items weren't damaged, why are you concerned with the condition of the box they were mailed in? (Sorry - not trying to be a smart ass, just curious why the shipping carton matters so much.)

I think you misunderstood him. The way I read it is that the minimates (or whatever) weren't damaged, but their packaging was. So, if you're a MIB kind of guy, then it could be a problem, whereas if you're a "tear them suckers open" kind of guy, then it's no big deal.

If that's the case, then I can understand the issue. I was picturing a mashed up shipping carton that he was upset by. Then when he mentioned ' The items themselves weren't damaged but most of the time I don't open the boxes and when they're all beat up it kind of sucks' I envisioned a whole bunch of packed shipments sitting pristinely in his closet waiting to be opened someday... :biggrin:

I think you're misunderstanding my complaint. I'm all for the combined shipping and the refund for the amount saved. My complaint lies in the fact that you have to file a complaint with the company to even see that refund, as opposed to it being an automatic reimbursement, as other companies will do. Even eBay sellers will combine shipping charges and inform you of the cost you saved. AFX just takes the money and sits on it until someone asks questions.

There is a check box asking AFX to keep all items until the entire order is ready to ship. IMO, if you don't check that box, you have no right to complain.

I don't work for AFX, but I sure don't see what all the hassle is either. I got a damaged package when the Darktide set came out and I did intend to keep one set unopened. I told AFX about the damage and they sent me another set. No big whoop.

drgnrbrn316 was right about mib I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly. I would contact them but I had such a hassle with ups (delivering after I set up a pickup time ) I'd simply like to avoid the whole ordeal in the future I'll either wait for "exclusive" boxsets to show up in previews or get screwed on ebay.

With so many positive things happening right now in are little corner of the web, what with sm3 mates and web armor Spidey I feel a little bad for bitching so I'm not going to reply to this thread anymore. Thank you for your comments and concerns though.