UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AFX shipping ripoff

Webhead

Anyone have this issue...

I put in 2 orders so I could get 2 Web Armor Spider-Mans. I paid $11 shipping on the first order and $14 on the second. Well they arrived today combined in 1 big box that was crushed and ripped. I weighed the box and went to UPS and the cost to ship was only $12. Now I understand padding it a little for handling costs but to combine shipping and not provide a refund on some of the shipping is highway robbery.

I keep trying to call them and all I get is their voicemail. Does anyone have a number other than 866-SHOP-AFX?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. The high shipping prices in general are forgivable seeing that they are shipping from Hawaii of all places, but I too wasn't a fan of paying for two separate shipments, only to have them show up in one box without a partial refund, a coupon, or a "My bad". And the tattered box was laughable, though that could equally be the fault of UPS. I'm glad to have AFX around because no other e-tailer (or retailer for that matter) does as much to keep the exclusive market going. But their recent string of questionable practices has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. $25 of crap to get a figure that would have been available for $5.99 with a second figure? Charging shipping for two separate orders only to send them in one box? And now I placed an order at the same time as a Stuckakid order, paid them both at the same time, and I've received my Stuckakid order and AFX still hasn't shipped yet.

AFX is a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

I put in 2 orders so I could get 2 Web Armor Spider-Mans. I paid $11 shipping on the first order and $14 on the second. Well they arrived today combined in 1 big box that was crushed and ripped. I weighed the box and went to UPS and the cost to ship was only $12. Now I understand padding it a little for handling costs but to combine shipping and not provide a refund on some of the shipping is highway robbery.

I keep trying to call them and all I get is their voicemail. Does anyone have a number other than 866-SHOP-AFX?

I'm assuming you paid via credit card?

If so, you've got a legit reason to dispute the charges. Most credit card companies require that you attempt to contact the company and give them the opportunity to resolve the problem. Like Shane said, I'd give them until Monday and then - if you can't reach them or they don't provide a solution for you - you contact your credit card company to file the dispute.

Credit card companies usually give you 60 days to dispute an item. That means 60 days from when you should have the product - not necessarily 60 days from when you order said item. If you need further info, lmk and I can talk to some of the dispute supervisors at work for additional tips.

Just checked my tracking info. Looks like it finally was dropped off at the post office in California. I can't wait to rate their shipping on Bizrate....

They don't ship out of Hawaii, most of their stuff goes out of CA now...or at least to me it does. I called them and left msg about the combined shipping after I paid separate. They called me back and left a msg. They apologized and said some stuff about saving time with combined shipping yadda yadda yadda. They refunded me $9 of the $25 shipping costs.

So I suggest if they combined your shipping then call and get some $ back.

I paid with paypal.

The same thing happened to me, crushed box and all. I'll give them a call on Friday. $10 is at least another set of minimates.

The number works - but you may need to call a few times to get a person.

I talked to them a couple of times about a missing package this week and actually talked to them directly.

Remember - though they ship out of Los Angeles, they are in Hawaii, so you can't get them until after 12:00 PM Pacific time.

My issue with them isn't so much cost, but that they claimed that they mailed something on the 14th, substituted Priority Mail for UPS (which I prefer because it can be tracked), and then it actually gets to the post office 1 week later than the shipping e-mail stated (on the 21st).

They allege that the issue is that with BSG, ST, Defenders and the Spiderman promo that they had 100's of boxes go out in the span of a couple of days and it was too much volume for the postal service.

In the past they used that DHL-USPS combo service, which got it from L.A. to Northern CA in about 2-3 days.

Check out their "black Friday" sale, its another semi-rip off. They are selling the same things that were already on sale for slightly less money (around 1 cent for some items, a couple of dollars on some other, more expensive ones--mostly very marginal differences from what I can tell). Though I admit that the offer for 10 bucks off and a "free" Web Armor Spidey for orders over 75 dollars of "in stock" items is not too bad. . .

Before you jump all over these guys, have you checked your credit card statement to see what AFX actually charged you? These days you can check that statement online and it's pretty darn up-to-date. Just might want to get all your facts lined up before you jump around making an ass of yourself.

I don't see how anyone can blame AFX for the condition of arriving boxes. That would be the shipping companies, who seem to be in holiday delivery mode. I've already seen one new UPS delivery guy in our neighborhood, I shudder to think what temps they migh hiring at the distribution centers...

I ordered BSG 3 and then a larger orer so I could get the Web Armor Spidey. I got both of these orders in the same box so I sent them an e-mail to CS@SHOPAFX.COM with the info for both of my orders and how much I paid for shipping on both orders and I went and filled my shopping cart on the website with everything together to calculate what the shipping would have been if I had placed the order all together. Within 4 hourse (this was on Monday) I got an e-mail back saying that I was correct and they refunded my card for all but like 50 cents of the difference. I checked my online card statement and it already showed credited so I would just wait until you can get a hold of them or send them an e-mail because they resolved this problem for me quickly.

Before you jump all over these guys, have you checked your credit card statement to see what AFX actually charged you? These days you can check that statement online and it's pretty darn up-to-date. Just might want to get all your facts lined up before you jump around making an ass of yourself.

I don't think I jumped around and made an ass of myself. I checked my info and called them out for overcharging on shipping. I was polite and they corrected it and I'm happy.

How is that making an ass of myself??

I don't think I jumped around and made an ass of myself. I checked my info and called them out for overcharging on shipping. I was polite and they corrected it and I'm happy.

How is that making an ass of myself??

I don't think Cappy was directing that comment at you Webhead - more at other people who may have a tendency to overreact some time.

I am sick of this bullshit. And I don't mean the AFX shipping policy, I'm referring to these continual posts that wail and gnash at AFX's treacherous piracy. Hate to break it to you all, but Action Figure Xpress is not the Greater Enemy. Unscrupulous retailers and scammers do exist, that's true, but AFX is not one of them.

There's the impression that AFX is a giant conglomerate that trades on the NYSE, with board executives cackling over their successful fleecing of the masses. I don't suppose the staff at AFX totals over a dozen, the California warehouse probably has five or six employees. Shipping out a hundred plus orders is huge undertaking, one that is not going to happen instantly. Sometimes UPS trucks do fill up, I've seen it happen. Ultimately, some one gets to receive their order first, some one else will get their stuff a few days later. I don't doubt that AFX is working to get all their customers the product they ordered because it does the company no good at all to have it sitting on their shelves.

Those of you who so righteously trotted your package down to the local UPS store to have it weighed, remember that the website ordering process must estimate what your package is going to total. Furthermore, try this exercise: take a bunch of your toys and dump them in a big bin along with your AFX order. Then trot that bin down to the UPS store, hand the guy your AFX order and tell him you need just those items picked out, packed, and shipped. I wonder what the total shipping cost would be then. Have you ever noticed the price of boxes or bubble wrap at a shipping store? And let's not ignore constantly biggest cost: labor.

Ultimately, AFX told you what you were going to pay, there are no devious offshore billing scams going on here. At some point in the checkout process, every one is given the choice to buy the products for the listed total cost.

Live like ignorant babes-in-the-woods -- whatever; life will be a long series of rude awakenings for you. What really pisses me off is to see libelous posts declaring the individuals at AFX to be criminals. This crying out that AFX is the Ultimate Evil is pure crap. This is a company that has existed for some time, I hardly think their goal is to steal from the fan boys' pockets. Like any accomplished retailer, they understand their success depends on satisfied customers and return business.

If you want to be angry fanatics, spend your deductive energies helping us understand what's going on in Iraq. Or figure out what to do when the price of oil goes so high, we can't afford the basic foodstuffs that are transported to the grocery store (I'm sure that will be a shipping conspiracy, too), let alone buy the petroleum-based toys we all love so much.

And Webhead, I don't consider you to be an ass. Although your rather inflammatory title did set me off. Posting "AFX Rip Off" in bold letters, then clarifying that "ok, things worked out" in a mid-thread post, is classic sensationalistic media methodology.

For you Yankees: Happy Thanksgiving. I know I'm thankful for receiving a cool new Web Armor Spider-Man.

I am sick of this bullshit. And I don't mean the AFX shipping policy, I'm referring to these continual posts that wail and gnash at AFX's treacherous piracy. Hate to break it to you all, but Action Figure Xpress is not the Greater Enemy. Unscrupulous retailers and scammers do exist, that's true, but AFX is not one of them.

There's the impression that AFX is a giant conglomerate that trades on the NYSE, with board executives cackling over their successful fleecing of the masses. I don't suppose the staff at AFX totals over a dozen, the California warehouse probably has five or six employees. Shipping out a hundred plus orders is huge undertaking, one that is not going to happen instantly. Sometimes UPS trucks do fill up, I've seen it happen. Ultimately, some one gets to receive their order first, some one else will get their stuff a few days later. I don't doubt that AFX is working to get all their customers the product they ordered because it does the company no good at all to have it sitting on their shelves.

Those of you who so righteously trotted your package down to the local UPS store to have it weighed, remember that the website ordering process must estimate what your package is going to total. Furthermore, try this exercise: take a bunch of your toys and dump them in a big bin along with your AFX order. Then trot that bin down to the UPS store, hand the guy your AFX order and tell him you need just those items picked out, packed, and shipped. I wonder what the total shipping cost would be then. Have you ever noticed the price of boxes or bubble wrap at a shipping store? And let's not ignore constantly biggest cost: labor.

Ultimately, AFX told you what you were going to pay, there are no devious offshore billing scams going on here. At some point in the checkout process, every one is given the choice to buy the products for the listed total cost.

Live like ignorant babes-in-the-woods -- whatever; life will be a long series of rude awakenings for you. What really pisses me off is to see libelous posts declaring the individuals at AFX to be criminals. This crying out that AFX is the Ultimate Evil is pure crap. This is a company that has existed for some time, I hardly think their goal is to steal from the fan boys' pockets. Like any accomplished retailer, they understand their success depends on satisfied customers and return business.

If you want to be angry fanatics, spend your deductive energies helping us understand what's going on in Iraq. Or figure out what to do when the price of oil goes so high, we can't afford the basic foodstuffs that are transported to the grocery store (I'm sure that will be a shipping conspiracy, too), let alone buy the petroleum-based toys we all love so much.

And Webhead, I don't consider you to be an ass. Although your rather inflammatory title did set me off. Posting "AFX Rip Off" in bold letters, then clarifying that "ok, things worked out" in a mid-thread post, is classic sensationalistic media methodology.

For you Yankees: Happy Thanksgiving. I know I'm thankful for receiving a cool new Web Armor Spider-Man.

It would be difficult to find fault with anything you've said so I won't try. The crux of the argument is that AFX ,albeit innocently ,have stirred a lot of shit for themselves. Unfortunately what should have been a pleasurable experience (getting a unique addition to our collections)has turned out for many into a fiasco. Whichever way you look at it ,it has not been AFX's finest moment.

I HAVE just been totally screwed by AFX.

I placed seperate orders for Trek Wave 2, BSG Wave 3 and The Defenders Set. Altogether the shipping charges cost me $87 (in in the UK).

Someone at AFX decided to ship all three of my orders in one box at a cost of $35.30, which means they've pocketed an extra $51.70!

---------

update

---------

Ok, credit where credit is due, they replied very quickly to my email and refunded most of the money, minus a reasonable handling charge.

I HAVE just been totally screwed by AFX.

I placed seperate orders for Trek Wave 2, BSG Wave 3 and The Defenders Set. Altogether the shipping charges cost me $87 (in in the UK).

Someone at AFX decided to ship all three of my orders in one box at a cost of $35.30, which means they've pocketed an extra $51.70!

I am NOT happy & needless to say i've emailed them about this.

Your experience completely mirrors my own except that they're shipping a subsequent order, placed last week to secure the Spidey-Armed-Robbery-in-Daylight-Mate :tongue: , with them as well.

We must all stay calm :whistling:

First of all the post titles can't be made in bold. I admit I could have been a bit more tactful in the thread title so I apologize fro that. I only wanted to open a thread to find out if this was an isolated incidence or something they need to get corrected. I have never bashed AFX in the past and though I didn't speak to anyone directly they were fast to resolve my complaint with a refund. I'm sorry to have "stirred the pot" so to speak but at least people now know that they should call or email AFX and they can recoup some of their shipping costs for those shipments that end up being combined.

And yes I did receive both Web armor spideys

Happy Turkey Day to all!!!!!

I'm kind of on the fence about this whole argument. I don't like the shipping costs and practices of AFX, but I don't hate the company either. They just aren't my favorite. I actually do buy from them for some things that I can't get from my more preferable sources, so as I said before, its a necessary evil.

I think Cappy said it best when he said we don't all view the company correctly. It's not an Amazon.com level e-tailer, but rather a step above an eBay store. It's not going to be a smooth process from order to payment to shipping.

I got enough blood pressure problems as it is, so I'm not going to sweat it over some shipping charges. Maybe I should stop bitching so much?

The same thing happened to me, crushed box and all. I'll give them a call on Friday. $10 is at least another set of minimates.

Same here bro.

Box mashed up and open, all shipped in one box (there is obviously a pattern here). I am going to contact them. $40 shipping for a $10 ship cost is unreasonable.

Not arguing, not mad, but it is unreasonable. I run 14 businesses for a living, and I know they are in for profit, but they need to accurately find a system on how to charge the correct cost for shipping. This can be calculated with a simple formula based on ups charge and weight. I think it might make money sense for their customers to include usps shipping.

Definately not the way to get repeat business...and I probably won't order again from them. I wanted the Spidey and my LCS did not order the BSG 3 or ST2, so I had to go online.

WW4M

Huh. People are getting their orders? Should I be worried that I haven't heard from them since I got the auto-response order confirmation?

Are you sure that none of the items you ordered are "available in 2-3 weeks" or something along that line?