UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The X-Men minimate idea...

MST3KFan

We've gotten many versions of the X-Men in the minimates line, but there's one version of the mutants we have not gotten yet...the Jim Lee-era/90s toon versions. Below is a letter I'd like to send as a suggestion to the guys behind the Minimates, but not sure whom it would go to in hopes of maybe reaching the designers eyes... DST or Art Asylum? Since AA is part of DST I'd gather them, but not sure...

Also, if some questions I ask in the e-mail can be answered by anyone, then I can take it off the e-mail.

Hello.

I'm just curious on Marvel Minimates in that the new waves just coming out and soon to be coming out are fan-demanded Avengers and X-Men related characters. Was there a poll? Or was this done from word of mouth at conventions? Or simply the makers decided they wanted to make these characters/teams?

I ask on this cause I'm wondering if there are plans to maybe do more box sets themed after stuff like the 'Giant Size X-Men' set that was done a while back (which I also have yet to acquire), The New Avengers, and Astonishing X-Men?

I would love for there to especially be maybe a couple box sets devoted to the Jim Lee-era "X-Men #1' from the early 90s. There could be two box sets for this.

One being the "Blue Team" with Jim Lee styled versions of Cyclops, Beast, Psylocke, and Gambit and a "Gold Team" with Jim Lee styled versions of Jean Grey, Storm, Colossus, and Bishop.

And maybe an exclusive figure of Professor X in his hover chair to round it out. (Iceman, Wolverine, Rogue, Nightcrawler, and the upcoming Archangel are already good enough versions really so as to not need to make new versions of them really)

I know a lot of people would love to get these versions of the X-Men. It's like how with the DC Minimates, people want the core 7 members of the JLA or Teen Titans.

I'm not sure if this was the right e-mail address to send this to, but hopefully it is and that maybe my idea will be taken under consideration by the awesome folks whom continue to make Minimates. Keep them coming!

Sincerely,

A Minimate Fan

Hey Man!

Rather than email DST which would probably mean you'll be ignored or at least probably not replied too...

Why not ask these questions in the Q&A MMV has with DST? That way the big Honcho known as Chuck will at least take time to read you thoughts/questions.

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...ost&p=54040

I'm not promising you'll get an earth shattering reply but it's better than running into a rake :D

T.

p.s. Welcome to the boards!

Hey Man!

Rather than email DST which would probably mean you'll be ignored or at least probably not replied too...

Why not ask these questions in the Q&A MMV has with DST? That way the big Honcho known as Chuck will at least take time to read you thoughts/questions.

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...ost&p=54040

I'm not promising you'll get an earth shattering reply but it's better than running into a rake :D

T.

p.s. Welcome to the boards!

Hmm... Should I just post it as I have it written as you think? I mean it's both questions and suggestions.

Didn't all those guys have the same yellow and blue outfits, with the unnecessary pouch on one of their thighs? If so, DST could save some money by releasing one body and a bunch of interchangeable heads that you would buy separately. That way, they would only lose money for the unpopular heads that weren't bought, not the unpopular figures as a whole! Of course, the bodies might turn out to be unpopular also.

:P

edit:

uxmen275.jpg

Didn't all those guys have the same yellow and blue outfits, with the unnecessary pouch on one of their thighs? If so, DST could save some money by releasing one body and a bunch of interchangeable heads that you would buy separately. That way, they would only lose money for the unpopular heads that weren't bought, not the unpopular figures as a whole! Of course, the bodies might turn out to be unpopular also.

Actually those were the costumes they wore before Jim Lee was given the ability to design their famous individual uniforms that were also used in the early 90s X-Men cartoon, which are the ones I'm referring to be used for on Minimates.

While I agree with most of your idea, and would always LOVE more X-Men, I really don't think we need a new Colossus...

Besides Wolverine, who has more than enough mates as it is, he's like, the only friggin X-Man who has essentially the same costume today, as the day he was created in Giant Size #1, and we already have two versions of that costume, one stylized very classically, one stylized very modern. I don't see the need to make another for a loooong while.

Replace him with someone else... I'd say a nice iceman with some sculpted hair and icy appendages maybe.

I also want to slap you for leaving out Jubilee. As much as I support the need for a 90s Beast or Cyclops, I'd much rather get ANY jubilee, than a re-do of someone who's already been made. She's like the poster-girl for X-Men in the 90s. The whole pilot episode of the cartoon revolved around her for cripes sake. Shame on you.

Well, I omit Nightcrawler, Iceman, Archangel, Wolverine, and Rogue cause they already essentially have Jim Lee-era minimates done of them. (Though Rogue could use her jacket) However, Colossus could be replaced by Forge maybe. We haven't gotten a minimate of him yet and his look was pretty consistent for a period of time.

Jubilee was left out cause while she was a part of the 90s toon, she became more interesting as a character when in Generation X...of which maybe a boxset could be done for them.

While I agree with most of your idea, and would always LOVE more X-Men, I really don't think we need a new Colossus...

Besides Wolverine, who has more than enough mates as it is, he's like, the only friggin X-Man who has essentially the same costume today, as the day he was created in Giant Size #1, and we already have two versions of that costume, one stylized very classically, one stylized very modern. I don't see the need to make another for a loooong while.

Replace him with someone else... I'd say a nice iceman with some sculpted hair and icy appendages maybe.

I also want to slap you for leaving out Jubilee. As much as I support the need for a 90s Beast or Cyclops, I'd much rather get ANY jubilee, than a re-do of someone who's already been made. She's like the poster-girl for X-Men in the 90s. The whole pilot episode of the cartoon revolved around her for cripes sake. Shame on you.

I believe these are the costumes you're referring to:

Xmenjimlee.jpg

We've got a Wolverine in that costume already. Colossus & Rogue (sans jacket) are done as well. Iceman is done and Angel is coming.

That leaves Storm, Jean, Cyclops, Beast, Gambit, Psylocke & Prof X.

Storm & Jean, yeah, good cosumes but IMO, we've seen enough Jean & Storm 'mates.

Cyclops - with the exception of a strap across his chest & thigh, we've gotten this fig already by combining either a Giant Sized Xmen Cyclops or a Cyclops from the Cyclops/Phoenix 2 pack with an Ultimate Xmen Cyclops head.

Beast - I'd actually prefer to see this version to what we've gotten so far. I think it'll eventually be done.

Gambit & Psylocke - they'll be made as well.

Prof X in his hover chair - not gonna happen. The hover chair is too close to a 'vehicle' and the license won't allow it. Thus the reason for the chair he has now.

Yeah, those are the costumes I was thinking of Reideen. Basically the X-Men I grew up on mainly from the old cartoon. I agree that we already have Wolverine, Iceman, Rogue, Colossus, and the upsoming Archangel fit that are already out for the minimates. Still would like to see the other characters though done up at some point.

And man, the whole 'license' thing with Marvel really seems to suck if Prof X's hover chair isn't an allowed part. Yeesh. Is there a reason why Marvel is so strict with the Mates?