UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Are sculpted heads the future of Minimates?

Would anyone else be bummed if they are? Would you rather see the full slip-over masks than sculpted heads?

We kind of discussed the possibility after seeing the Marvel wave 19 and 20 protos at comic con, but we've seen it in execution a few times now – Zombie Cap, Doc Brown, Kilowog, and now STRIPE.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something I don't like about them. Part of it is the lack of customizability. I think the other part is my fondness for the uniformity of the base minimate figure. When some mates have masks and others have sculpted heads, it seems inconsistent across a collection – even more so than the gradual increase in tampo details from the beginning of the line to now. I've also noticed sculpted facial details creeping into the heads, which makes them feel even less consistent with their predecessors and more... I don't know... "action figure-y" than uniquely minimate. I'm not sure why having a sculpted mask on a generic head doesn't bother me in that sense. Maybe I just like playing dress-up with my minimates... :)

This has gotten me wondering if sculpted torsos aren't in the future, as well. If it saves on production cost to cut out an extra piece that slips over the head, wouldn't the same hold true for the body?...

I hope not. That was the main problem with the kellog mates I think. They were just so, un-minimate-ish.

Sculpted heads are evil. A little evil used sparingly is okay now and then. But they're still evil.

Some stuff i can understand though. The GL bug dude is a prime example.

I'm worried about the 'over designed' minimates these days. Be it heads or chest pieces.

The reason I loved minimates was the simple pleasing block figure with little fuss and a great deal of uniformity over the waves. essentially giving us the same head/body but with tampo details and hair or masks giving the character their unique look.

I Agree the heads are slowly creeping towards what I feel are non-minimate status, the alien GL is the best example of that in the next few waves.

More of a worry for me is the abundant use of chest pieces these days, I'd say that far too many new minimates seem to have some sort of chest piece, DC being the worst offender...

I hate when we get someone like Green Arrow or Thor who really don't need big chests and it detracts from the figure cos they lose that cool minimate sleekness, articulation and I don't know if it's just me but the chest piece plastic just feels cheap.

Bring back simple is what I say :)

T.

p.s. you'll notice as time has gone by chest pieces are getting bulkier too, if you look at the older pieces such as Iron Fist or even the first 'big chest' pieces they were pretty slim compared to stuff like power girl or the hawks...

I'm in two minds about this. I don't mind head sculpts if the character really needs it to be successfully carried off. Zombie cap being a prime example. How else are you going to have a sloppy brain bowl?

I'm not so keen on the big chest overuse. It ruined the Power-girl mini, there was no need for it apart from a 'huh huh look, it's power-girl and like dude, she's got a big chest'.

I'm also noticing that detailing is becoming ... well more detailed. Sometimes too much detail is being applied to the chest block and it's getting messy. I dunno, they're still mates to me. Just not the mates I started out collecting.

Keep it simple, keep it simple. Otherwise, I'd be out buying Pyrates or GI Joes or something.

The occasional sculpt, if appropriate, is acceptable, but this recent trend is a bit off-putting. Too much detail, too much bulk. Some one else pointed out that recent waves don't quite complement the early waves when displayed together.

So, yeah, sculpted heads might be the wave of the future -- but I hope not.

I personally prefer non-sculpted heads unless the character demands it .Probably some of the most popular 'Mates are also the simplest in design,Symbiote Spider-man being the foremost example. C3 'mates are some of the simplest 'Mates yet they have subtle costume & facial expressions that set them above many of the current DC characters.

I'm of a similar mindset in that I don't mind special sculpts when the character warrants it, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I can live with special heads to make the "no way would that look right on a normal head" characters, such as Leader or the bug head Green Lantern guy. But beyond that, you're just losing sight of the uniform design. Kilowagg in my opinion would have looked just fine with that face stuck on a normal 2.5"-scaled head. Doc Brown shouldn't have had a special sculpt either, especially when it rounds the top of his head, differentiating him from every other minimate when he's just a normal guy with no special characteristics. The upcoming classic Batman is another example, considering they have a suitable mask sculpt that could slip over a normal head.

On the subject of mask sculpts, I'm not a great fan of the new slip over masks. I could live with them if they sculpted more detail on them like they did with the face masks of old. Heck, I could even live with them as is if there was more consistency regarding who gets a full face mask and who doesn't. Batman comes with a slip over full face mask, whereas Wildcat does not. Either all or none is what I say.

As said before, the chest pieces are getting too bulky too. Originally, the Powerhouse piece was made to compensate for the larger characters in the Marvel line. But does black costume Spidey and Sandman need to look so bulked? Does Powergirl need the extra bulk when we have plenty of other females with ample cleavage displayed on a regular torso? And now the 2.5" characters are getting the Powerhouse treatment. By the looks of Marvel waves 19 and 20, the bulk is going more detailed, as Smart Hulk and Apocalypse get some unique sculpts. Hopefully, that's where it ends, because when the day comes that every minimate has a unique set of parts to match the physique and stature of the character it portrays, then gone really will be the block figures of old.

On one hand I think everyone saying "Too many new pieces! Too much detail!" is crazy. How can DCD going the extra mile be a bad thing?

But I do understand where people are coming from. The most iconic Minimate (as discussed) is Spider-Man, and he is just fine being a standard Minimate. He embodies more than any other just how great Minimates are with no additional pieces. What more do you really need? Hairpieces, that's about it.

I wouldn't knock the sculpted peices yet. They can offer a larger variety of custom parts to use. I always am disappointed in figures like Silver Surfer, Spiderman and Cameleon, because it ffels like a cheap way to produce figures at a low cost.

I want to be able to see a silhouette of a minimate, and tell who he/she is. That's a sign of strong design. If that can be acheived better with full sculpts, than that is fine with me.

On one hand I think everyone saying "Too many new pieces! Too much detail!" is crazy. How can DCD going the extra mile be a bad thing?

Detail is fine but bulky parts when they are not needed are starting to turn me off the line. the extra mile should be fun character choices and accessories not just throwing a chest piece on...

I always am disappointed in figures like Silver Surfer, Spiderman and Cameleon, because it ffels like a cheap way to produce figures at a low cost.

I want to be able to see a silhouette of a minimate, and tell who he/she is. That's a sign of strong design. If that can be acheived better with full sculpts, than that is fine with me.

Obviously you have a different view of what minimates are than I do. My idea of a strong minimate design is one that is as simple and clean as possible whilst still doing the character justice. If you want sculpted figures you shouldn't be collecting block figures but GI Joes or something else.

T.

kubricks did sculpted and I was really un-impressed (worse idea since new coke IMO) I perfer the slip over head but in moderation it is ok, even then :( I love being able to switch heads and swap body parts. but when you can't do that it kind of sucks.

I believe (as most apparently) that they're unavoidable in certain cases (alien GLs for example), but I have always despised the chest pieces (sculpted or not). I can only think of a few instances where a full chest piece is neccessary: Hulk, maybe Thing (although I display mine without), Juggernaut would have been a decent choice, etc. (characters whose defining characteristic is broad bulk). I think rather than solid sculpted heads, the best compromise would be sculpted "masks" that simply slip over the stock cylinder-head (like the Cylons for example). I this manner, they still retain their generic, blocky-base and any neccessary defining details (that can't be achieved by simple paint app.s) would simply be accessories that allow for interchangability which in my opinion is one of the greatest draws of these figures. And, while the new "full masks" (ala Batman, Batgirl, etc.) don't really bother me that much, I (for the record) do prefer the original "cut-out" masks.

My favorite part about minimates is the degree of detail and versitility you can get while sticking to a basic block figure format. In other words, I'm fine with add ons provided the core of the figure is the basic block structure. To me, this means that slip-on masks (although I prefer the cut-out ones) are twice as good as sculpted heads-simply because with a sculpted head you have only one option. With add on pieces, hidden levels of detail can be added and a greater degree of choice is left up to the individual collector. The only time I've really been sold on a sculpted head was for the Captain America zombie minimate which was necessary because his head was missing a giant chunk and brains were spilling out-a rare circumstance.

Definitely not a fan of sculpted heads. I don't mind chest plates because they still fall under the overview of overpiece/clothing, but sculpted heads seem to be moving on from vital (Peter Parker/Spider Man needed a unique head for that cut-out to plug the hair into, Leader of course had big head) onto not so vital.

*Takes Deep Breath*

Ill keep this as short as i can. I am a purchaser of mini figures. My mini figures do *not* need to be blocky. Minimates have established themselves as "mini block figures w/ articulation" but i am very open to the idea of them moving away from the "block only" design , even if in small increments, so long as the figure still looks good.

I love the look of the standard minimate body when representing Superman. It looks GOOD (enough to spend money on). Simple Yet effective. I like Sgt. Rock using the standard minimate template as well. Again..enough to spend money on ( i emphasize this as im already a financial supporter of the line , thus im fine with the product as is, but im not opposed to seeing it evolve or try new things).

With that said..i would also purchase a Minimate Superman if it had a sculpted torso (NOT a slip over torso accessory thats used to add "bulk" or size. I think those look horrible in the overwhelming majority of the times they are used). Slip Over clothing is ok. I would love a Sgt. Rock 2'' figure with full poseability that actually had sculpted ab's or sculpted head. I like the idea of sculpted heads provided that they look good / are appealing. I did not like the retarded slip on head pieces of the Thing and Hulk figures. Blah. I do like the sculpted hair on the hulk (zombie) better.

Im not opposed to minimates becoming "mini action figures" so long as they look good.

I saw Saalak , the "bug" Green Lantern , for the first time tonight and my first thought was " Wow!! Thats a good looking figure! Is that a detailed torso!? Id buy a lot more minimates if they start making them more along these lines." That may be because i already view minimates as mini action figures that are blocky as opposed to what some people seem to view them as...block styled action figures. I like the 'mates because they are small action figures that have articulation on par with larger figures..not because they are blocky (at least thats not the exclusive reason).

There are customs on the board that have detailed/sculpted torso's and they look good. If the sculpting was kept "soft" (not overly detailed) you could get away with a minimate with sculpted detail in the body and face while still maintaining the cute look.

The only downside to this is the lack of uniform parts with regard to customizing. Personally i dont see this as a big deal but i come from a larger scaled action figure customizing background where , in general, there are no "universal body parts". If someones main selling point with regards to 'mates is the standard parts then i can understand their frustration.

Ultimately im of the opinion that smaller need not mean "less" with regard to action figures. That includes detail. Im not sure if the block design was solely an aesthetic that was deemed new and exciting or if , truthfully, the creators wanted detailed mini action figures but realized it was more cost efficient to create block figures. Either way it was a hit & im purchasing them but id love to see the sculpted alternative .

*Takes Deep Breath*

Ill keep this as short as i can. I am a purchaser of mini figures. My mini figures do *not* need to be blocky. Minimates have established themselves as "mini block figures w/ articulation" but i am very open to the idea of them moving away from the "block only" design , even if in small increments, so long as the figure still looks good.

I love the look of the standard minimate body when representing Superman. It looks GOOD (enough to spend money on). Simple Yet effective. I like Sgt. Rock using the standard minimate template as well. Again..enough to spend money on ( i emphasize this as im already a financial supporter of the line , thus im fine with the product as is, but im not opposed to seeing it evolve or try new things).

With that said..i would also purchase a Minimate Superman if it had a sculpted torso (NOT a slip over torso accessory thats used to add "bulk" or size. I think those look horrible in the overwhelming majority of the times they are used). Slip Over clothing is ok. I would love a Sgt. Rock 2'' figure with full poseability that actually had sculpted ab's or sculpted head. I like the idea of sculpted heads provided that they look good / are appealing. I did not like the retarded slip on head pieces of the Thing and Hulk figures. Blah. I do like the sculpted hair on the hulk (zombie) better.

Im not opposed to minimates becoming "mini action figures" so long as they look good.

I saw Saalak , the "bug" Green Lantern , for the first time tonight and my first thought was " Wow!! Thats a good looking figure! Is that a detailed torso!? Id buy a lot more minimates if they start making them more along these lines." That may be because i already view minimates as mini action figures that are blocky as opposed to what some people seem to view them as...block styled action figures. I like the 'mates because they are small action figures that have articulation on par with larger figures..not because they are blocky (at least thats not the exclusive reason).

There are customs on the board that have detailed/sculpted torso's and they look good. If the sculpting was kept "soft" (not overly detailed) you could get away with a minimate with sculpted detail in the body and face while still maintaining the cute look.

The only downside to this is the lack of uniform parts with regard to customizing. Personally i dont see this as a big deal but i come from a larger scaled action figure customizing background where , in general, there are no "universal body parts". If someones main selling point with regards to 'mates is the standard parts then i can understand their frustration.

Ultimately im of the opinion that smaller need not mean "less" with regard to action figures. That includes detail. Im not sure if the block design was solely an aesthetic that was deemed new and exciting or if , truthfully, the creators wanted detailed mini action figures but realized it was more cost efficient to create block figures. Either way it was a hit & im purchasing them but id love to see the sculpted alternative .

Couldn't agree more, I really like the inovation to the Minimate block form that is coming out with the DC and Battlestar Galactica Mates, the more detail, sculpt and accessories the better for me.

I pretty much ignored Marvel Mates in the past as I didn't see them as a value for the money. The DC mates on the otherhand I've pre-ordered every series as soon as they've been anounced. I'm really looking forward to getting Saalak, that is one cool looking figure.

I'm definitely turned off to the newer Minimates. I was looking at an original Hulk earlier today and thinking about how much the Minimates have changed and it's a real disappointment. I think that's what has pushed me more into my LEGO habit. They continue to be simple figures, with the occasional sculpted head where appropriate, but no silly giant torsos and such.

To me, Minimates have lost the essence of what made them "minimates". :(

But your user picture is one of the most recent minimates? One with a specially detailed/sculpted torso at that? Clearly it's not quite as dire as you say, if you pick one of the new adulterated minimates to represent you visually in the forums.

I love some of the chest pieces etc, but DCD have really over used them. I used to look forward to a sculpted piece by Marvel, now it's 'how many sculpted chest pieces will there be'.

I love the basic desgin minimates and some of the sculpted ones. I hope that they keep sculpted pieces to a minimum and only use them when they suit the figure and not when completely un-necessary *ahem* Black Suit Spidey from Spidey 3 *ahem*

But I can't complain with figures like Sgt Rock!

But your user picture is one of the most recent minimates? One with a specially detailed/sculpted torso at that? Clearly it's not quite as dire as you say, if you pick one of the new adulterated minimates to represent you visually in the forums.

Yeah, ironic ain't it? :D

You know it really doesn't bother me. It used to, but I've grown to realize that they're there for a purpose. It doesn't hurt IMO. I don't like the "blocky" look but I don't want GIJOE style figures either. Now Smart Hulk, Abomination, and Apocalypse, too far! NO SCULPTED MUSCLES.

I recall reading a commentary some time back on ...i believe it was the Minimates Headquarters...concerning the comparison made by a Lego fan of Lego figures and Minimates.

I believe the gist of it was that the "..Minimates were no Lego figure..". The response by the person that submitted the commentary regardign teh Lego figure fans comment was that ( paraphrase) "While Minimates are no LEgo building blocks..LEgo figures are no minimates figure.".

That sums it up in my opinion. If you come from a block background Mates are friggin mana to the soul. If you come from an action figure background i think you find Minimates appealing because they are small and have larger action figure qualities (and eventually will find yourself leaning towards more of those action figure qualities popping up in the line). Has anyone taken a long hard look at the Mega Bloks Pirates of the Caribbean figure line? If they were as tall as mates and had mates proportions they wouldnt be half bad. Unfortunately they are stumpy and suck :P minimate I dont know what the core of the fan base is made up of but i give the manufacturers credit for walking a tight rope with regard to what they put out.

They are doing good thus far.

To me, a perfect minimate that departs from the block figure basic is the new Cylon minimates-they are lots of add-ons attached to a spare block frame, without it being obvious that they are separate pieces.

To me, a perfect minimate that departs from the block figure basic is the new Cylon minimates-they are lots of add-ons attached to a spare block frame, without it being obvious that they are separate pieces.

I completely agree with you on that one. The real disappointments to me are characters who get a bulky chest but really shouldn't. It totally ruins the look of the character. Minimates like Martian Manhunter and Nightcrawler weren't as good as they could have been because of the chest piece. Power Girl was crap, etc...

i am of the mind that i like the simple "spider-man" look to my minimates with accessories being the add-ons such as jackets, belts hats/hair and the very rarley used chest piece where needed,i think the Thing is a good example as hes much bulkier than other heroes but still about 6 foot tall, it shouldnt be used to make up for height. (its Marvels fault if Hulk is smaller than Killer croc, with their size limit, the chest piece shouldn't be used to try and make up for it)

as for sculpted in detail or sculpted heads im not a fan of it, there are or were minifigs that were made like this (pocket heroes springs to mind) and they flopped, i say keep our minimates simple, its what makes them unique. whats the point of all this detail anyway with no nose,and dont tell me they plan on changing that next or im done. my $.02