UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is it too late?

Aquaman

Okay, I got interested in Minimates in February, where on a review site, they reviewed DC Minimates. I decided to buy the first series of DC, and decided to have a look at the Marvel ones whilst I was on eBay. Seeing the masses of variants, I was put off by it all, and left it. Soon, I discovered Minimates Central, where there was clear reviews of most of the Mates. I decided that I'd check out the X-Men 'Mates, but again, got lost, in different costumes, timelines and stuff. Now that they have announced Angel, I'm interested again, and I kinda want the X-Men and Avengers Mates, but not the rest. All I ask is, is it too late to start collecting, and is there a decent amount of X-Men in one timeline available, that will give me a decent collection?

My suggestion, use the definitive list on this site and the pictures on Minimate Central or Minimate database as a checklist/visual guide. Pick and choose. Always go as cheap as you can. Ebay, stuckakid.com, sci-figenre.com, and any local comic stores(that carry minimates) are your best bets. Remember go as cheap as you can. Also try the flea market here, youcan trade for mates. Good luck. "You made your first step into a larger world"-Obi-wan Kenobi.

:biggrin:

BannersID - Thanks for the kind words. :)

bilbofett - I have looked at the lists, and have decided on which ones I want from the series. :)

buttheadsmate - Thanks, but I don't really like their costumes in that film, and I've seen it before on the internet...

THE_CRIPPLER - Would, but I haven't got any other mates to trade (there's NO way I'm parting with my DC Mates :):):))

Thanks guys for the help!

BannersID - Thanks for the kind words. :)

bilbofett - I have looked at the lists, and have decided on which ones I want from the series. :)

buttheadsmate - Thanks, but I don't really like their costumes in that film, and I've seen it before on the internet...

THE_CRIPPLER - Would, but I haven't got any other mates to trade (there's NO way I'm parting with my DC Mates :):):))

Thanks guys for the help!

No it's not too late, but if I was starting out now I would do the same thing I did originally, buy figures in lots (unless you're a MIMP collector). I got really lucky when I started but I still see lots available though now they're usually the doubles and multi re-releases like Rhino for example.

The only problem would probably be the C3 sets especially the mini javelin but even that's not really expensive, but I also collect kubricks that probably skews my interpretation of what is 'expensive''

I agree that part of the fun of collecting, is the hunt. There is NO regular release minimate that cannot be found at a reasonable price with a little persistance and patience. Enjoy it!

The only thing I can suggest is what I do, only get the minimates that you are completely interested in.

If there is a costume or character you don't like, don't get it......if it is in a 2 pack, trade the one off you don't want for one you do want.

Well that and make sure you have money, I am Quite behind on getting the mates I want. :(

I would suggest looking on ebay for a large collection if you have the money. I see lot auctions (30+ figs) all the time. Try to get one that has many of the characters you need (if not most) and then once you have that finish off the rest with single auctions of loose figures. When I got back into collecting myself I did it with a large collection I bought off a former coworker and then completed it in less then a month of BINs on ebay. As the others say it's never too late. Patience is all you need. Plus there are lots of people here who will help you out.

I disagree with everyone else. It is too late, there is no hope, just give up!!

Seriously though, I only started when the first wave of DC Mates came out, and now I have nearly all the figures that I wanted. . .damn you, Nightcrawler! :angry:

Aquaman,

It's never too late to start. The fun IS in the hunt... I got introduced to Minimates late last year, and only watched from afar. This spring, I bought my first mates. I now have an eBay store dedicated solely to Minimates, and have dozens and dozens of 2-packs still listed at original retail price of $7.99.

There are other excellent e-tailers out there as well with fair prices... some of whom advertise on this site. If you are interested, check out our eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/minimatesmenagerie

Our shop was created specifically for people like you, who are new to Minimates. 6 months ago, I didn't own a single minimate... Today, my personal collection is almost complete. I think I am missing maybe half a dozen 2-packs.

- Jeff

Minimates Menagerie

I only started in late July after seeing the plethora of minimates at SDCC and I now have hundreds! Of course, my bank accounts is also much smaller but that's a sacrifice I've been happy to make! Buying large collections aren't necessary, although they can be a savings. My collection has been built up entirely piecemeal-the most I've ever bought together is eight (which was actually the worst purchase ever-many were missing pieces and I had to pay for shipping from Hong Kong!) Be careful to bargain shop on ebay and don't just grab the first you see-some retailers tend to rip people off. Even if it is described as a rare figure, it can still often be found cheaper elsewhere-don't immediately snatch it up unless users on this forum have described how difficult it is to find. I've seen regular two packs range in price by $25! :o

The guy with the eBay store (too big a username, soz :)), I'm looking at it now, and I love you have new waves in. When my birthday comes in, I'll pay you a visit! Thanks everyone for the help!

JCA, I am gonna stick to a single Spiderman, the main Avengers, and my fave X-Men for starters...then eventually move on until I have all my favourite characters in Mate form...I'm not that interested by the F4, and I prefer the DC Enemies anyway (:)). So I'll use them instead to battle my soon-to-be MarvelMates!

It's definitely not too late. I got started late into the Minimates thing cause at first I thought they were silly. Then I picked up a two pack just for the heck of it, and suddenly I was buying up all the Marvel Minimates I could for a while. My interest faded off for a while though for about a year or so, but then just this last month I found my box full of them again and it started all over. Now I'm trying to get all the DC minimates I can cause of the missed minimates in the Marvel ones I wanted. Even the newer Star Trek ones are on my list of 'to buy' as I went to my local comic shop and got Kirk and Vina along with Scotty and the variant McCoy.

It's plastic crack I tell you! LOL :P

Hey guys. 'The Hunt' is going well! Just now off eBay, I bought Iron Man, The Frankenstein, Silver Surfer, and Gajin Vampire! It was quite cheap too, costing me less than 15 quid for the lot (from USA, this is), so I'm really happy. Unfortunately, they're going to get packed away in a box for my Birthday in late November, but still, I'm so excited! I'm also gettign Horrific plague 5 too, so it's a very MiniMate-Birthday!

I'm really happy with Silver Surfer especially, cos I've heard he is uncommon, bordering on rare. May be lies, but his board rocks! Thanks guys for encouraging me!