UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Obscure Marvel Characters

TM2 Dinobot

So I was thinking about this the other day, and it actually started off as a debate on who held the Marvel UK license, Marvel Toys or Hasbro. Anyways, how far do you think DST's Marvel License extends? Could they pull off some obscure Marvel characters do you think? Like Death's Head? Or the Requiem Sharks? I know DC is pulling out some odd choices, do you think DST will follow suite, and if they do, will you buy them?

Death's Head (& Death's Head II) would require at least a 2.5" body so I hope he's out.

Captain Britain - in his 1st costume with the lion on the front - would be great to get, as would a variant in his Union Jack costume.

Warheads didn't run long enough to warrant figs, neither did Motormouth & Killpower.

Clandestine - meh.

Other UK'ers I'd like to see - Baron Blood & Union Jack, Spitfire and Destroyer. What I'd really like is a boxed set of Invaders. :D Unfortunately Baron Blood is one of the few villains they could do and still be PC. Master Man and Warrior Woman are almost certainly out and I doubt Frankenstein's Monster could be done in his Nazi costume either. Von Strucker could be done as could Meranno the Uman. Brain Drain would be excellent, but how to pull that look off?

Braindrain_01.JPG

Captain Britain - in his 1st costume with the lion on the front - would be great to get, as would a variant in his Union Jack costume.
I just cannot understand DST's reluctance to produce a Cap B minimate. I can only assume their attitude is nationalistic and they just can't see a Cap B being popular. Yet Toy-Biz's Marvel Legend of him was an absolute Wowser!

Other UK'ers I'd like to see - Baron Blood & Union Jack, Spitfire and Destroyer. What I'd really like is a boxed set of Invaders. :D Unfortunately Baron Blood is one of the few villains they could do and still be PC. Master Man and Warrior Woman are almost certainly out and I doubt Frankenstein's Monster could be done in his Nazi costume either. Von Strucker could be done as could Meranno the Uman. Brain Drain would be excellent, but how to pull that look off?

Union Jack would be such an easy mate to produce. In fact the Invaders would be dead simple too.

They'd make em if Wolvie or Spidey were part of the group. :D

Union Jack would be such an easy mate to produce. In fact the Invaders would be dead simple too.

They'd make em if Wolvie or Spidey were part of the group. :D

Totally agree. Unfortunately Rad, I think this'll always be a dream line. The Invaders really aren't a 'showcase' team in the Marvel U. That's the Avengers, Xmen and FF. Considering they were around before any of the other teams, that makes me very sad.

I think it has to do with Marvel not recognizing the WWII era and embracing it like DC does. DC still pushes the fact that the JSA were around for WWII and that's their history. Marvel ignores this part of their history in their attempts to keep their characters young. (One of the reasons I've quit reading comics - along with the fact that they're too damn expensive now for the final product...) For all I know, at this point, the Invaders have been retconned and they gathered together to fight against Noriega during the US's invasion of Panama in '89 because the rest of the Avengers were on a coffee break...

They have bought back Union Jack, but he's the latest in a line of Union Jack's. There was a recent mini-series that's been collected into a trade which featured other also-rans such as Sheba, and Arabian Knight. It was a really good story and worth checking out.

Back on topic.... Forbush Man! :D

I'm all for obscure Marvel characters. Like Mysterio, Kraven, Aunt May, The Lizard, The Vulture, Jubilee, Toad, Sauron, The Inhumans, Excalibur, Skrulls, The Ultimates, Bucky, Cloak, Dagger, Deadpool...

On second thought, I'm beginning to think that truly obscure Marvel characters are going to have to get in line.

NEXTWAVE... that would be awsome. there a team of obscure characters, it should be a 6 pack like the Xmen boxed set Just so we can get a Dirk Anger figure. BTW if you have read this series go and grab it its Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen, fantastic read

Brain Drain would be excellent, but how to pull that look off?

Braindrain_01.JPG

Great - now I'm thinking about what it would take to make that. If I scuplted the brain and eyes, then I could use twist-ties to support them and look like nerves & the spinal column. What to use for the dome, though...

LEGO has some nicely scaled 'lil domes that I was contemplating on using for a Mr. Freeze and Mysterio customs (though the latter is being produced and the first more-than-likely will be). You could try that, or possibly find an appropriately scaled "cap" from bottle covers (hair, candy, cleaning products,etc.). Ghost Rider's chest-piece could work as the pauldrons. Just keep your eyes open when you're out shopping, and show us pics when you finish him.

I want Bug :(

2b_1.JPG

The only character Marvel still owns from the Micronauts license...

Me too, I was just thinking about Micronaut customs the other day! I'll probably be using my DC Ambush Bug for a custom (but I still need an extra set of Night Crawler's hands and feet) as I doubt that we'll ever see this produced. I just can't decide on if I want to make Baron Karza 2 or 2.5".

Not bad. I wonder how big it is.

Rom is another character I'd love to see done as a minimate!

Rom... me too. I've even thought about doing customs but at the end of the day I'm too lazy ;)

I talked to Chuck and Matt about him a little at one of the cons sometime back and it's the whole thing of a drawn out legal thing over who actually owns it etc... So probably never happen! :(

T.

yeah I wouldnt expect to see a Rom anytime soon, a few years back when they did the spaceknights series they couldnt even make reference to him they could only use the human aspect of him whose name escapes me. marvel still owns arcturus rann as well as bug I think and huntarr would be another sweet one with exchangable hands ala OMAC

Not bad. I wonder how big it is.

Rom is another character I'd love to see done as a minimate!

Rom... me too. I've even thought about doing customs but at the end of the day I'm too lazy ;)

I talked to Chuck and Matt about him a little at one of the cons sometime back and it's the whole thing of a drawn out legal thing over who actually owns it etc... So probably never happen! :(

T.

I know. Marvel can't even include Rom in the upcoming Essential Power Man & Iron Fist due to the legal issues. Hasbro and Marvel really need to work this one out.

See the first line of the quote above?

Yeah that made me laugh.

I haven't even mentioned Man Thing yet.... :lol: