UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So, I just got jipped

So my friend and I went to 2 comic stores tonight. Downtown Houston, not exactly known for their low prices. Anyways, we go into one story, and they have some minimates. Marvel wave 14 for $8.99, the parts of DC wave 3, 4 and 5 for $7.99, BSG wave 2 for $9.99 and a SF variant for $20, which I was actually willing to go for. I thought, 'eh, kinda high, I'll try the other place'. So we go across the street. They had Trek wave 1 for $9.99 each and DC wave 4 for $9.99. So I buy the Trek and the one DC and head back to place #1 to get the rest. I arrive at 7:02. They close at 7 sharp. I was standing at the door as the guy locked it and flipped me off.

So, I now have Trek wave 1 and the Batgirl/Bane set, along with a Spiderman figure and a Xevoz set that I paid WAY over double price for. And now I feel like crap, and feel I just can't enjoy these mates. :(

...and a SF variant for $20, which I was actually willing to go for...

Don't pay that much... If you keep an eye out on ebay cases of SFII mates have been going for not much more than that...

Be patient and keep an eye out and you can save yourself a few $$

T.

I arrive at 7:02. They close at 7 sharp. I was standing at the door as the guy locked it and flipped me off.

So, why do you go there in the 1st place? Order online - you'll pay less and you don't have to put up with comic book store guy's employee's working for minimum wage (or better yet - their wages in 'trade' value).

I arrive at 7:02. They close at 7 sharp. I was standing at the door as the guy locked it and flipped me off.

So, why do you go there in the 1st place? Order online - you'll pay less and you don't have to put up with comic book store guy's employee's working for minimum wage (or better yet - their wages in 'trade' value).

I didn't know they closed at 7 until the doors were locked. *sigh* I feel the need to order stuff online for super cheap now. :/

Man, that sucks. I've overpaid for things before, and I tell myself that sometimes I get good deals too, so hopefully it all balances out in the end. And I can understand a store closing their doors promptly. But if a comic store guy ever flipped me off, I'd NEVER EVER go back there again. What a chump!

Well, that's the LAST time I EVER go to that store. I've been in there several times, and each time it's been at best a lack luster experience. I had the owner tell me one time that he gets $3000 purchases in there at the drop of a hat all the time, so he feels no need to take care of customers that on;y spend $20. To get his attention you have to spend at least $300. I'm serious, he told me this to my face. I figured I'd give him one more shot, but this was the last straw. It's 3rd Planet in Houston Texas off 59 and Kirby if you're ever in down, don't go there. Nan's is a few doors down and is much nicer.

So anyways, I cracked open Batgirl and Bane (2.5" yuck XP), and I'm slightly less irritated now. Batgirl's cowl actually has eyes and a face hole now. Nothing like Minimates to cheer someone up.:P

I only have one CBS in my area that any good. There were 2 pre-Katrina, but you know how that goes...

I try to patronize the LCS as much as I can, but I order the bulk of my stuff online. The guys at Stuckakid get large portions of my paychecks.

Well, that's the LAST time I EVER go to that store. I've been in there several times, and each time it's been at best a lack luster experience. I had the owner tell me one time that he gets $3000 purchases in there at the drop of a hat all the time, so he feels no need to take care of customers that on;y spend $20. To get his attention you have to spend at least $300. I'm serious, he told me this to my face. I figured I'd give him one more shot, but this was the last straw.

Similar story here. At one of the stores I used to frequent, there was a discount on pull lists and a punch card to get 10% off once filled. The owner decided he didn't need to give the discount or punch cards to 'small dollar customers' - those spending $100 per week or less.

'Course, this guy is the ultimate scalper/predator comic shop guy. He frequently will under value trades of unsuspecting folks. Unfortunately, I was one of those folks once upon a time. I had tons of Mego figures from my childhood. Thor with all his parts, Catwoman, Invisible Woman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Hulk, Batman, Riddler with his belt, Fist Fighting Joker, a few Star Trek aliens - Talos was one (looked just like the one in the picture too), etc. A suitcase full. I needed the $$ so I took them into him. He gave me IIRC about $150 for the lot. I also had a minty fresh Thor pez dispenser that I threw in because it was in the suit case - those go for about $250-400 on ebay all by themselves. (This was pre-internet days and I was uneducated about the value of the figures - shame on me. Still no reason to take advantage of someone like he did.)

I eventually made up for that loss by taking him for a bunch of $$$ Shogun Warriors stuff (arms, vintage Japanese release die cast stuff, etc) that he didn't know the value of, so it worked out in the end, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you see just how little they value their customers. As a result, I patronize places that value my $$ - people like the guys at Stuckakid.

Thats harsh man....I hate shops like that....where they dont give you the consideration unless they see the big $ from you always.....my LCS is great.....I can go in and have a bunch of stuff waiting for me but can only afford even as little as one issue at the time yet he is just as happy to see me as he would be if I was dropping $$$ at a time. His customer service is top notch no matter who you are and how much you spend. When I asked him to bring in minimates he was gunshy due to the DC Pocket Superhereos collecting dust on his shelves but after not getting series 4 and 5 in he started bringing in the rest including the C3 stuff...now he pretty much stocks all things minimates cuz he knows I'll buy it

Jeff of the Minis

I frequent 2 shops in my area one is called Dragon Fyre Comics. Jim the owner of Dragon Fyre woun't purchase minimates but will special order them because they don't sell and they are a bit of of my way. The other shop I visit is New World Comics the guys that runs the store is pretty cool (I know someone else on this board goes there too [CRISIS Survivor, maybe?]) and he not only sells em but he collects them and makes customs too.

I'm all for supporting local comic shops, but unfortunately in my area there's one comic store that bought out almost every other comic store in the area and closed those other shops. They are now pretty much a monopoly in my area and are major jerks. They have a nice store, offer 10% discounts to subscribers, and have a nice selection of toys and comics. The problem I have with them is this: The guys that run the place hit EVERY ToysRUs, Walmart, and Target and buy out every rare toy, chase figure, etc, and then sell them in their store for majorly jacked-up prices! That pisses me off to no end! I refuse to do business with that store.

I now order my comics through scifigenre.com online. I get a 30% disount on all comics, plus they are bagged and boarded for free. I get them shipped once a month and shipping is very reasonable. I'll never deal with the local comic shop again. As for toys, I eventually find most of what I'm looking for on store shelves, or I order from reputable sites online.

Rick

I frequent 2 shops in my area one is called Dragon Fyre Comics. Jim the owner of Dragon Fyre woun't purchase minimates but will special order them because they don't sell and they are a bit of of my way. The other shop I visit is New World Comics the guys that runs the store is pretty cool (I know someone else on this board goes there too [CRISIS Survivor, maybe?]) and he not only sells em but he collects them and makes customs too.

If any of you are ever in dallas texas, we have a lot of shops here, but one of them is this chain called lonestar comics. They do it all, loot stores, overprice, horrible policies designed to rip you off all under the front of it being a family friendly store. I have always had problems with this store and its service for over 10 years. They spread slander about other stores and I swear, no joke, the district manager looks and acts like a 'deleted by mod'

TM2, if you ever are up here, please dont buy from them, there are all kinds of friendly shops around here, and the one I go to sells everything, chase or regular, from all lines for retail price. The shops that are not trying to get your money are the best ones. I paid 5.99 for my marvel zombies 2 pack. I couldnt even find it that cheap online before shipping.

Wow.. I'm really surprised by that. I'm very familiar with Lonestar (through their website). I've purchased a lot of back issues from them at really good prices. I don't know anything about their local shops, but their online shop is pretty good.

Also, I believe one of my favorite artists frequents their shops. Any of you familiar with Josh Howard? He created Dead@17. I'm a really big fan of his work. I know he lives somewhere in TX, so I guess that's why he does signings at those stores.

If any of you are ever in dallas texas, we have a lot of shops here, but one of them is this chain called lonestar comics. They do it all, loot stores, overprice, horrible policies designed to rip you off all under the front of it being a family friendly store. I have always had problems with this store and its service for over 10 years. They spread slander about other stores and I swear, no joke, the district manager looks and acts like a child molester.

TM2, if you ever are up here, please dont buy from them, there are all kinds of friendly shops around here, and the one I go to sells everything, chase or regular, from all lines for retail price. The shops that are not trying to get your money are the best ones. I paid 5.99 for my marvel zombies 2 pack. I couldnt even find it that cheap online before shipping.

My local comic store is run by my former illustration co-worker, so we have a good relationship. I usually buy online stuff when it comes to rare minimates. eBay stores are great too if they accept best offers. I've gotten some sellers to accept some pretty great prices.

Customer Service is an integral part of any business. If a stor owner flicked me off, I would never go back. Not only that, I would probably have spit at the window after he flicked me off.

Hmm.... a rock does more impact than spit...

I get treated very well at all the other shops I go to and when you walk into lonestar, its like walking onto a sleazy used car lot. everyone is business dressed, and they all barrage you every 5 minutes trying to sell you something. They overprice everything, expecially variants. they have their store employee's travel around to local stores, and Dallas has a lot of the, to pick up all the rare figures as soon as a case hits the floor. And I have repeatedly watched them deny the use of gift cards they issued, which is highly illegal.

Zeus is actually my main shop. They dont pressure people with sales, they tell me about stuff that I like that I dont even know is coming out, and as a toy collecter, they get all the hard to find toys everyone else gets and charge retail price or lower. I bought a cheap thanos and marvel zombies 2 pack, variant mates with no markup. the dc waves have been a steady 7.99 since they came out, and marvel has always been a steady 6.99.

• 2 weeks later...

Zues is certainly the best store in DFW. I don't know if Lonestar is really as bad as some say. They do the same stuff that most other comic shops do, but since its a chain, and they are all over the metroplex, I think they get more criticism. There are a couple of other comic stores in my area (Arlington), but they all seem to gouge just as much as Lonestar. But Lonestar carries minimates and is convienient. It's hit or miss with the people that work there though. Half of them are rude and condescending, the other are just college students.

Baton Rouge only has three options that I know of, and the only one I ever really go to (i.e. the one that gets Minimates) is called "School of Comics." If any of you are passing through, despite the fact that its quaint, you could do worse. Friendly people tend to work here, though like all comic shops, the prices tend to be a little high.

Shanester, which shop do you go to in N.O.? I used to go to a couple around there from time to time when I was a kid living on the Westbank, and I would be curious to stop by the "good one" at some point. The only one I go to around New Orleans nowadays is that place off of Veterans near Lakeside, which I probably go to once or twice a year. I remember that guy in the wheelchair was running another comic store when I was much younger. . .

Shanester, which shop do you go to in N.O.?

The place off Veterans near Lakeside is called BSI Comics. Its a decent place, but usually has little in the way of Minimates. There was a place off Oak Street in Uptown, but Katrina took care of that. Supposedly, there is a new place opeing/opened called More Fun Comics, but I must admit, I've not been by. There is another place in Metairie called Media Underground, but they didn't have much in the way of minimates either, but are supposed to start carrying more action figures, minis included. I need to stop in.

I may need to hit the shop in BR that you mentioned. There are some older Bowen Designs statues & busts I've been looking for. They often show up in the "quaint" shops at nice prices.

I may need to hit the shop in BR that you mentioned. There are some older Bowen Designs statues & busts I've been looking for. They often show up in the "quaint" shops at nice prices.

Thanks! Regarding the place here in BR, There are a few statues there but not many, and I don't know if their prices are reasonable or not (I'm not into busts so I haven't paid attention). I know they have a huge Wolverine head, and for a while they had Dr. Doom on his throne, but he may have been sold. Just a few things there on display, really.

In terms of those kinds of things, the place to go in Baton Rouge is this shop on Sherwood Forest (not far off of the I-12 exit). Can't remember the name of it, but the last time I went there (which was months ago, admittedly), they had loads of statues, busts, that sort of thing. Though again, I have no idea if they were expensive or not.

So my friend and I went to 2 comic stores tonight. Downtown Houston

Yep, there aren't any great shops in Houston. I used to shop at Bedrock. Had a folder, spent a good deal of money there. I had minimates on my pull list. I came in one day to pick up my comics and stuff and they were having one of their big twice a year sales. Toys were 50% off or something. So I've got minimates that came out that week with my comics and they won't give me the sale price because "they were held". I could understand if they were the only ones left in the store (meaning me having them held kept them from someone else who got there earlier) but there were at least three of each sitting on the counter. I told them, fine, I'll take those on the counter that you didn't hold then. That didn't fly; so I let them keep them. I thought it was ridiculous to shaft the regular weekly customer but let any other person get a deal. Decided to order stuff online after that.

Baton Rouge only has three options that I know of, and the only one I ever really go to (i.e. the one that gets Minimates) is called "School of Comics." If any of you are passing through, despite the fact that its quaint, you could do worse. Friendly people tend to work here, though like all comic shops, the prices tend to be a little high.

My BSG wave came from there at $6.99 a pop. I thought that was a decent price. :)

I remember that guy in the wheelchair was running another comic store when I was much younger. . .

Mr. Carl! He was an ornery old cuss. I never had so much fun being insulted. lol

That other store was probably the other BSI they had (on Westfield or something like that. It was right off of Clearview.)

In terms of those kinds of things, the place to go in Baton Rouge is this shop on Sherwood Forest (not far off of the I-12 exit). Can't remember the name of it,

Louisiana Double Play.

There was a place off Oak Street in Uptown, but Katrina took care of that. Supposedly, there is a new place opeing/opened called More Fun Comics, but I must admit, I've not been by.

The shop on Oak St (corner of Dublin if I remember right) pre-Katrina was More Fun Comics. Are you saying someone opened a new shop with the old name?

E>

here in Tucson there are a few comic book stores the BEST is heroes and Villains. they are really nice and carry alomost all lines of minimates. but the best part is they are really nice and love to talk comics with you it is a great place and recamend it to everyone.

there is alos r-galaxy they don't carry minimates and they are not as happy but they at least are not snobby and mean. there are some others but i don't go there becasue they are your tipacal comic book store where they dont talk to you and sell everything for far too much.

In the big city, Phoenix, I recommend atomic comics, while it depends who is working there I have had good time there. also a little place called Pop Culture Paradise the guy is pretty nice and they have a great selection of mates (although I did hear he does not carry DC mates, weird).