UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghost Rider wave

TM2 Dinobot

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it, if you collect minimates and don't pick up this wave, you'll regret it down the road. Sure most of this series looks lame, but a true minimate collector will look past that. It's all or nothing people!

As others on the board have pointed out, this Wave has been bumped to appear AFTER Wave 18 according to DST's website. (Date set for October 31, 2007. I am fairly certain I remember that Street Fighter Wave 2 was also set for the October 31 date in 2006).

Anyone want to agree with me that this wave is officially CANCELLED?

These 'mates missed the movie and DVD launch. I think it's safe to assume local comic book orders were lukewarm at best after the X3 wave. Perhaps DST will give it one more solicitation for October and then pull the plug on these guys.

Could it be that DST is shifting gears with the Marvel line and refocusing on the comic book versions of characters?

I noticed the HUGE back page spread in the most recent issue of Wizard #190 for the Thor wave. Let's hear it for character diversity!

I hope they're not cancelled, not because I was really super psyched about these but because I hate to see smaller lines like this suffer any set back, even if it's not a critical one. Although if they are cancelled, I have to say I suspect it was the fact that no matter how much money the movie made, it was still considered pretty terrible by most people. I have only heard one person ever say anything positive about it, and the huge number of civilians also may have made retailers gun-shy.

"The next wave of minimates will be a huge success, how many cases can we put you down for?"

"What's the theme?"

"The Ghost Rider movie!"

"That was terrible, all my customers say so, why would they buy it?"

"All the cool characters!"

"Like who?"

"Umm....two Ghost Riders, Mephisto, Blackheart.....an old guy with a shovel........and Eva Mendes............so how many cases can I put you down for?"

As others on the board have pointed out, this Wave has been bumped to appear AFTER Wave 18 according to DST's website. (Date set for October 31, 2007. I am fairly certain I remember that Street Fighter Wave 2 was also set for the October 31 date in 2006).

Anyone want to agree with me that this wave is officially CANCELLED?

These 'mates missed the movie and DVD launch. I think it's safe to assume local comic book orders were lukewarm at best after the X3 wave. Perhaps DST will give it one more solicitation for October and then pull the plug on these guys.

Could it be that DST is shifting gears with the Marvel line and refocusing on the comic book versions of characters?

I noticed the HUGE back page spread in the most recent issue of Wizard #190 for the Thor wave. Let's hear it for character diversity!

Jatta, do you think DST will push the Avengers wave back as well.... one week before it's supposed release? It seems as if we are all getting the shaft again from DST (concerning our Marvel MMs) .

That's the problem: lackluster sales for XIII and Ghost Rider mean almost certain doom for future Marvel waves.

If you don't want them, buy them anyways, and make your money back on here or eBay from someone that does, and can't find them anywhere themselves. That way, you don't own them, you're not out any money, and you've helped ensure future waves of Marvel 'Mates.

If you don't do your part, you'll never see the 'Mates you wanna see.

Do I really give a flying leap about Rocky? No, but I'll be buying all the 'Mates when they come out...

I can't afford to buy every wave for the hell of it. :angry:

That's the problem: lackluster sales for XIII and Ghost Rider mean almost certain doom for future Marvel waves.

I couldn't disagree more. As consumers it is our right to vote with our wallets. If we don't like a product, we don't buy it. In this case, it isn't the product we don't like but the source material referenced. (Not to mention timing of product being released is very important - see LOTR & SFII....)

Look at it this way. When you're looking to buy a car, if you don't like the color, you move on to the next one down the line in a color you do like. GM, Ford, etc will all continue to build and sell that model of car, regardless of your color preference.

That said, minimates are a proven property. When the source material/mix (ie Avengers wave) is right, it sells. When it isn't (X3 & Ghost Rider), it doesn't.

Not buying these isn't going to kill minimates as a property. If anything, the death of C3 and rebirth of DCD 'mates should teach us that.

Jatta, do you think DST will push the Avengers wave back as well.... one week before it's supposed release? It seems as if we are all getting the shaft again from DST (concerning our Marvel MMs) .

I think Avengers wave will be released as planned. I think Ghost Rider Minimates are toast. Certainly a question to ask the panel at SDCC.

The Ghost Rider wave was a risky move that seemed to have a chance of succeeding while the movie was in theaters. I don't think the movie was strong enough to sustain interest after it left theaters. The public seems to have had its fill with Ghost Rider merchandise.

If I were running DST, I would shelve the Ghost Rider Minimates until the sequel hits theaters. Then I would do a box set like the other movie Minimates. (This is assuming the TV and movie box sets sell well which still remains to be seen).

Say, is it just me, or would this wave have met with much more approval if it had been comic versions of Mephisto and Blackheart, different comic versions of Ghost Rider and Johnny Blaze (maybe Danny Ketch variant), and even comic versions of Roxanne and the Caretaker?

Personally I would have been much more excited about awesome fiery demon Mephisto, instead of Peter Fonda (no offense to Mr. Fonda)... or would Mephisto and Blackheart, in their comic book forms, not make suitable looking minimates?

Opinions?

I agree that a Ghost Rider comics wave would have probably garnered more casual purchase appeal than the movie figures, as comic book versions of the characters are way more colorful and visually exciting. I've long believed that plain people don't work well in the minimate standard, especially plain people based off of actual people. Its very hard to look at the X-Men 3 characters and say, "That's Hugh Jackman" unless you had seen the movie and had a knowledge of who was in it. It is especially true looking at Ghost Rider, because that doesn't look like Nicolas Cage at all. However, even a GR comics wave would have been lukewarm at best, because the comic just isn't as popular as Spidey, X-Men, Avengers, etc. How many times has the comic died now?

As far as whether or not the wave is dead, I'll say no. We're likely to see it quietly hit shelves during a lull in new stuff as more of a placeholder between bigger waves. I don't think a sequel is assured yet, so I doubt it'll see release to coincide with one, but maybe the release of a super duper deluxe edition DVD. A pack-in figure with a future DVD release may help garner some interest in the line.

Personally, I think the lack of recognizable comic book villains in the movie hurt the whole concept of this wave, making it better suited as a boxed set coinciding with the movie, kind of like the Fantastic Four set we saw a while back.

I definitely think comic oriented version of Ghost rider would have been a better move, it wouldn't have required a movie license since they already have the license for the characters they're based on, and frankly the movie versions of blackheart and Mephisto weren't very interesting villains. I mean, one is clearly supposed to be a devil-like character and the other is his son, and you can't make them frightening, much less evil? Weak.

If they had released the comic versions they could have made some money off whoever liked the movie and picked them up while also satisfying people who like comic based mates. Just a thought....

My concern with this and the X3 'mates is that DST will drop the movie licenses in favor of the comics. I really liked the X3 'mates but they came out A YEAR AFTER THE MOVIE and are on clearance at my comic shop! The Ghost Rider 'mates didn't even debut with the home video release!

Timing is everything with these movie tie-ins. A movie like "Ghost Rider" is not going to build a cult following in a span of eight months. Note to DST: You gotta serve this shit while it's hot!

Pass. All my Marvel focus is on the Avengers wave.. Like many people have stated, this wave comes off a bit boring.. and I already have 2 Ghost Riders that I never set up or display.. getting a 3rd plus several unrecognizable figures just doesn't rank high on the priorities right now. :)

Note to DST: You gotta serve this shit while it's hot!

Isn't that a Snoop Dog song or something? :)

I'm hoping DST announces a reboot of Marvel at SDCC. It would be a good time to redo packaging with bubble windows instead of the boxes. Save "movie" versions of Marvel characters for box sets and give us character diversity like DCD Minimates!

Note to DST: You gotta serve this shit while it's hot!

Isn't that a Snoop Dog song or something? :)

I'm hoping DST announces a reboot of Marvel at SDCC. It would be a good time to redo packaging with bubble windows instead of the boxes. Save "movie" versions of Marvel characters for box sets and give us character diversity like DCD Minimates!

It would be, but based on the recent redesign to the odd shaped box, I'm guessing that's already been suggested by DST and was thrown out by Marvel....

It would be, but based on the recent redesign to the odd shaped box, I'm guessing that's already been suggested by DST and was thrown out by Marvel....

I would guess you are right, but I just don't understand Marvel's reasoning. The Superhero Squad figures get the nice window treatment, I wonder if Hasbro has some type of lock on that type of packaging?

I would guess you are right, but I just don't understand Marvel's reasoning. The Superhero Squad figures get the nice window treatment, I wonder if Hasbro has some type of lock on that type of packaging?

Keep in mind the size of the two companies that we're talking about here. Hasbro throws a lot more weight around the toy world than DST/AA.