UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Indiemate a second box set

I'd love to see:

Abby Chace

Cavewoman

Red Sonja

Arwen from Sojorun. The CrossGen comics are now defunct, so I'm not sure how that would work. I'd personally like a second, higher quality Witchblade as well. They really skimpped out on the first set. The protos looked awesome but the actual mates sucked.

I want more Indy Minimates! :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is:

-The Goon

-Hellboy

-Mage

-Grendel Hunter Rose

This would be the best 4-pack of Indiemates in the history of Indiemates...

I'd kinda like to see an Amazing Screw-On Head, but let's save him for the third set... Along with

-Grendel Prime

-Argent The Wolf (From Grendel)

-Frankie (Goon's sidekick)

Second best Indiemates set in the history of Indiemates...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm digging both Lurch & Shanes choices...

How about a 2000AD set? judge dredd, rogue trooper, strontium dog, slaine?

T.

Unfortunately another company (who I will not name here, for fear of them coming to spam us...) claims they have the license to these characters. Although, based on how the Top Cow/ToyBiz discussion is going, that may not be entirely true.

Personally, I'd absolutely LOVE to see a line of classic fantasy characters - John Carter of Mars, Conan, Red Sonja, Flash Gordon, Phantom, Tarzan, etc. There's a wealth of characters there and they'd sell in places like Barnes & Noble and Borders.

I once said Minimates are today's Mego. I still think this is true if you think about the comparisons. They've offered DC, Marvel, LOTR (similar to Super Knights & Robin Hood), BSG and Star Trek (Star Trek, Flash Gordon, Black Hole & Buck Rogers), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Bruce Lee (movie properties/famous celebs - Wizard of Oz, Planet of the Apes, One Million BC, Moonraker & Muhammad Ali), Rock & Roll mates (Kiss) and Dark Angel (TV related properties, like Dukes of Hazzard, Love Boat & Greatest American Hero).

What I'd like to see are more generic lines, such as a pirate line. (Like these from Chap Mei.) It'd be a no brainer - they don't even need to tie them into POTC - just make them generic enough to work and they'd sell AND pick up some of the free advertising Disney will be doing over the next year. Unfortunately with the production delays we've seen with the upcoming Marvel waves and apparently now, the DC stuff, I doubt AA could capitalize on something like this and fear they'd be out 6 - 9 months after the movie has left theaters and then wouldn't sell.

Nice idea with the generic pirates thing..... Although I'd agree about the fear of timing...

As for the other company who shall remain nameless.... They've claimed to have a bunch of licenses doomed licenses in the past and were basically shooting their mouth off before closing the deal....

So I would be very surprised that they had it.

T.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if America's Best Comics counts as Indy since its an imprint of DC, but a box of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen mates would be my choice.

That and Cerebus the Aardvark. Come on, Dave Sim would give the license away for a box of cereal these days.

Doing a generic line, such as the pirates mentioned above, wouldn't be too bad of an idea, if you could find a good line that will attract lots of genre fans. However, I doubt it'll ever happen, because the powers that be seem to believe that name recognition is the only way to sell a toy and say, "Let's face it, why sell any pirates if they can't be the Pirates of the Carribean." It's the same reason we'll never see civilian minimates. They had a chance to step into that world when they toyed with the idea of playsets. Instead, they offered us a playset that cost more than half of our collection, which tanked the idea of playsets all together and essentially sealed the deal on anything that could be related to a generic minimate world. They won't do army building sets either (why, I don't know, since it seems like a guaranteed way to make money for using the same mold over and over again). So, I say the chances of them doing any sort of line featuring characters that no one would recognize are pretty close to nil, despite how well it works for LEGO, Megabloks, etc.

As far as indiemates, I think they were turned off by the idea after the first run, so I doubt they'll be back. Its just not big enough name recognition in their eyes to warrant the expense, despite the fact that we've seen successful movie runs for numerous indie characters and massive popularity of others. And they could never get any relevant toys out in time, ala Batman Begins, X-Men 3, Lord of the Rings, etc, so any flux of popularity for a character would be gone before the figure ever left production stages. Same reason we won't see any story-line specific comic book minimates, such as House of M, Civil War, etc.

Ad for the DC imprint thing that raises a question, will we see Vertigo mates under the DC imprint.

Also thanks for not naming "the company who cannot be named", last thing we want is them popping by...

As for John Carter stuff, hell yeah.

Could anyone PM me about this? Who are the guys who cant be named who I dont know because no one named them?

Ad for the DC imprint thing that raises a question, will we see Vertigo mates under the DC imprint.

Also thanks for not naming "the company who cannot be named", last thing we want is them popping by...

As for John Carter stuff, hell yeah.

Could anyone PM me about this? Who are the guys who cant be named who I dont know because no one named them?

I'm curious myself, but if I had to guess, its a toy group as opposed to a comic group.