UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bandwidth Exceed / Getting Pissed Off

Basically bandwidth is how much data this site transfers, so any action anyone does uses bandwidth.

Say this thread uses 10kb of bandwidth, every time it gets viewed it takes 10k up.

So one hundred people view it and 1mb of bandwidth is used.

(Those numbers were just off the top of my head and not actual numbers).

A better example would be that to display the board index, complete with images etc it takes nearly a meg of bandwidth, now say we get 10,000 hits a day, that 10gb gone in a day from just people looking at the board index, not reading any threads or anything, just from typing in the address.

When I first set this site up I thought we'd have ample bandwidth, however our traffic has increased insanely, it went up 50% a month last year, and then jumped 200% in Jan and 100% in Feb.

We currently pull in a very, very impressive amount of hits a month, more than any incarnation of the AA boards ever did, which is a good thing, and makes this a very active and lively community, annoyingly however it makes us eat bandwidth.

4: I give up

You all loose the site

You left out the part where we all commit mass suicide as a result.

I'm not familiar with all these behind the scenes things, but it looks like we either try to raise money via donations, bake sales, etc to keep going the way we are now or we move.

At current projections though by April those "few" days will number 10 day a month.

Plus whatever happens at June the domain name will be lost for a while. Current best case scenario is it'll expire, it'll be about 10 days with no domain name and then I can re-reg it with a non corrupt company.

Barring some domain name related miracle in the next few days #3 looks like it will happen and we'll gain an S in our domain name

I'm sure we can solicit the funds to keep us going on the crooks host. Getting us moved sounds tricky, but it'll work out.

srry i dunno what exceed bandwidth means :/

does this mean someone else wants this site or something?

i only get the part that we have to change

I think it means we're using more traffic than we're allowed. Put it this way, each month, Ady buys 100 tickets to use at the carnival called the World Wide Web. But, when he gives them to all his friends, lately we've been needing more than the 100 tickets to see all the attractions, etc. because Ady is getting more and more friends who want to see more and more attractions. The problem seems to be that Ady's current ticket provider is screwing him over on getting more tickets and won't let us go to a far more reasonable ticket handler.

Don't know how much this will help...

If you're like me, I had a ton of PM's sitting in both my inbox and my sent folder. We have the ability to archive those PM's and remove them from your files. the system will send them to you via email as either an excel doc or a HTML file. You can select the option to delete the messages once they've been archived. It may not free up much, but IMO, every little bit helps.

Or you could ban all members who haven't been here long...

Shoulda thought that through.

Damn.

Jo

As a stop gap I think the best savings on bandwidth would be to stop people attaching huge images. Get people to host images elsewhere and link like I do.

a 100kb pic takes up as much bandwidth as well 100,000 text characters.( This post is about 200 chars long for example.)

T.

^Cutting avatars and sig pictures might help for now.

As long as we know it's just until the new host.

Jo

If we're gonna be down a third of every month PLUS an unspecified time during June then personally I think you should move the site to the new domain now. No point messing about and delaying the inevitable.

Sure there will be a period of adjustment but this place'll shoot up the Google rankings again and it'll all be OK.

Er, perhaps I should have IM'ed you this, I dunno.

Im working on cloning the site at the other URL now.

That way if anything bad happens we can switch in seconds.

Im reluctant to go live at the new URL for a week or so incase some miracle happens with the current domain name

Not sure how you missed it Aapje but Ady explained it in laymans terms three or so posts above yours.

See here

Sorry Rad, but I think that's just the kids way :unsure: He seems to post this every once in awhile :rolleyes: So I can never tell if it's him or a younger brother posting when this happens? Since not all his posts are asking folks to re-explain themselves over and over again <_< Ady, good luck with whatever you decide, as you know I'm one step below a retarded monkey when it comes to this computer crap :confused:

Not sure how you missed it Aapje but Ady explained it in laymans terms three or so posts above yours.

See here

DARG!

not my day <_<

well now i kinda feel stupid......so srry about that :confused:

Sorry Rad, but I think that's just the kids way :unsure: He seems to post this every once in awhile :rolleyes: So I can never tell if it's him or a younger brother posting when this happens? Since not all his posts are asking folks to re-explain themselves over and over again <_< Ady, good luck with whatever you decide, as you know I'm one step below a retarded monkey when it comes to this computer crap :confused:

DOH!

><'

srry sryy sryy sryy*starts banging my head on the table till it cracks and keeps saying srry while doing this*

TOTALLY NOT my day <_<

Totally not the point of this thread, but I think he asks for an explanation not because he is a kid or a pest, but because his first language is not English. Don't call yourself stupid Aapje, its ok if you truly don't understand.

of course, if you ARE actually stupid, we do reserve the right to point and laugh. ;)

Lots of love,

Jo