UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC or Marvel?

Aquaman

I've only just started collecting DC Minimates, and have seen the Marvel ones too. Do you think it's too late to start collecting the Marvel minimates, or should I stick with the DC ones, of which I'm up to date with?

It's never to late to collect all the marvel guys. It may take a lot of time, but it will be so worth it. Who do you need?

I need all of them!!! Except all the Spidey doubles, because there's a LOT of them!

I suggest you visit your local Target and/or Toys R Us and grab the Target 2-packs and the TRU 4-packs. Once you've done that, if you can resist hunting down the rest of the collection, then you can stick with DC.

I had started getting the Minimates when they first came out back in 2003 or so, but college got in the way (as did my lack of funds), so I sort of stopped with only having Daredevil, Elektra, Kingpin, Ultimate X-Men, Professor X, and Magneto.

But last year, when I heard that there were going to be DC Minimates, I scoured eBay all the time for ways to get as many Marvels as I could. I was never a huge Marvel fan, but the idea of having both universes in the same style and scale was awesome to me.

Since then, I've amassed Beast (Astonishing), Bishop, Black Cat, Blade, Cable, Captain America, Colossus, Cyclops, Daredevil, Dr. Doom, Dr. Octopus, Echo, Elektra, Emma Frost, Firestar, Ghost Rider, Green Goblin, Hulk, Human Torch, Iceman, Invisible Woman, Iron Man, Kitty Pryde, Lady Deathstrike, Luke Cage, Mr. Fantastic, Mystique, Nick Fury, Phoenix, Punisher, Rhino, Rogue, Sandman, Sentry, Silver Sable, Silver Surfer, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman I, Storm (Giant-Size), Thing, Venom, and Wolverine (Astonishing).

And I also managed to snag a Nightcrawler/Colossus two-pack on eBay for $4.99 on Friday! That thing goes for big friggin' bucks!

It's definitely not impossible to catch up. I did it, and probably for less than $75.

Worth noting - TRU and other toy shops in the UK don't sell minimates. You'll be looking online or in comic shops to find them. Try the Flea Market forum as well

Also, if you're buying from shops or UK websites, expect to pay about double the cost the Americans pay.

My advice? Get what you like - I find minimates easier to pick and choose from than most toy lines.

Jo

It's not too late.

If I were starting from scratch right now, I'd make a list of specific Marvel characters I wanted in my collection and start there. I probably wouldn't lament over every Spidey and Wolvie variation, I'd just look for what I consider to be definitive versions. Gimme a classic, vanilla Spidey, Daredevil, Iron Man, Mulk, etc. and I'd be happy.

Good luck on collecting both DC and Marvel. The hunt for the minis is the best feeling one could have. Just be sure not to go overboard on wanting and having. :thumbsup:

Worth noting - TRU and other toy shops in the UK don't sell minimates. You'll be looking online or in comic shops to find them. Try the Flea Market forum as well

Also, if you're buying from shops or UK websites, expect to pay about double the cost the Americans pay.

My advice? Get what you like - I find minimates easier to pick and choose from than most toy lines.

Jo

Good advice. Take what you like and leave the rest.

There are some really COOL marvel sets coming out. Thor, Spiderman 3, x-men 3, Ghost rider, just to name a few. Besides think of how cool it will be to have Batman fight Wolverine. Or Superman team up with Captain America and take on the cylon army. Oh sorry you would also have to buy the Battlestar Galactica minimates to do that. Hey welcome to the madness

• 3 weeks later...

Why not Both?

Get DC cos they are the latest and Marvel cos they still ain't gettin' old.

Go for the Marvel ten pack and the 4-packs that'll get you up to date sooner than you expect. Toys 'r' Us is the place to go.

otherwise get yourself an ebay account and bid like crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've realised that the majority of my reasons for wanting Marvel ones was for the X-men. So, I'm going to keep at DC, and find the X-Men mates, until I have the entire team. Then I'll move on to, say, Fantastic Four, or Marvel Knights.

Sound like a plan?