UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How will Series 16 effect your buying intentions?

Cyc

I am not a fan of the X-men in any form let alone the movies, in fact easy to argue that saying I hate them is an understatement, and bit meh in regards to Ghost Rider. My only intention in buying them was to support the line in the hope that the next wave might be more my thing... and so far Series 16 is definately that.

It's always nice to know the line is continuing and that the next wave is planned, but the details of 16 has effectively killed what ever tiny interest in 14/15 and now I'm giving serious thought to skipping them and waiting for Series 16. Wondering if I'm alone in this regard...

I'm still definately interested in Series 14. The Beast mini from that wave is leaps and bounds beyond the one we got in the Astonishing wave, and will become my display version. The others, except maybe Colossus, I'm looking forward to, as well.

Wave 15, though, I'm still making up my mind on.

Definately gonna pick up 14, but seriously contemplating on 15. As you all know, I have a strong feeling the movie will flop, because, let's face it: Back in the day, GR couldn't even hold up his own series, let alone a movie!

Well... I'll buy both, but that's the completist in me.

14 Actually looks pretty cool for a movie wave and I'll prob buy 2 sets so I have spares for customs.

15 is kinda Meh! I'm not a Ghost Rider fan and simply put those figures dont leap out at me for minimate coolness, as I said elsewhere it's a "shoulderpads and shovels" wave.

16 on the other hand, first time I order Marvel minimates by the case since Wave 9 and IMO probably (from what we've seen so far) the best marvel line ever :D

T.

I like the "added" variety of getting the movies mixed into the comic-based 'mates, so I am wanting to pick them up on their own.

Part of me wants to tell people that if they genuinely don't want Minimates from the movies, they shouldn't buy them because it only tells DST that people do want them. But that is crazy talk. You should buy more.

Wow, am I the only Ghost Rider fan here? I used to love the series until soon after vengeance was introduced. Then a sorta stopped buying the comics a few issues later. I am sure that the movie won't be anything special, but I'm gonna go see it. The minimates are nothing special, and are kind of a boring looking wave to me. Of course I will still buy them though.

I don't really think that I had any "buying intentions" as far as these are concerned. The only effect it has had is making me painfully aware of how long the wait to get series 16 will be! Hopefully, DC will fill the void as well as new-release information for the other mini-lines.

Definately gonna pick up 14, but seriously contemplating on 15. As you all know, I have a strong feeling the movie will flop, because, let's face it: Back in the day, GR couldn't even hold up his own series, let alone a movie!

Back in the day Blade couldn't hold up his own series but the concept was good enough to spawn three (ok two) good movies. On the flip side of that... Spawn was huge in the mid 90's. Ever see the Spawn film?

It. Was. Shit!

I surprised at how down on GR everyone is being. The new series (and the mini that preceded) is one of my current favourite books. I've seen the trailer for the film and I'm looking forward to it. I hope we're going to see a good fun monster movie.

Oh, and I'll be buying the mates too. Why wouldn't I? :D

Back in the day Blade couldn't hold up his own series but the concept was good enough to spawn three (ok two) good movies.

IMO, Blade was a token character (great concept) with crappy stories and terrible art.

On the flip side of that... Spawn was huge in the mid 90's. Ever see the Spawn film?

It. Was. Shit!

Spawn sold based on 2 things Todd McFarlane's name and his art. The movie itself only had McFarlane's name - the art went out the window. At that point, fans were left with just the Spawn story and It.Was.Shit. :)

I surprised at how down on GR everyone is being. The new series (and the mini that preceded) is one of my current favourite books. I've seen the trailer for the film and I'm looking forward to it. I hope we're going to see a good fun monster movie.

I'm absolutely not interested in seeing GR simply because of Nic Cage. Can't stand him as an actor. He's on my list of actors to avoid (he's up there with Tom Cruise and Keanu) so I won't see the flick. I doubt that I'll pick up the mates.

X3 on the other hand, I might just pick up. They're different enough from the current characters that I can justify getting them.

So, I guess to answer the question, has wave 16 changed my feelings on buying waves 14 & 15, the answer would be no.

Like Timbo, I'll buy both but only because I'm a severe addict to all things minimates. They wouldn't necessarily be my first choices, but they are still somewhat interesting figures and will enhance the mates folio at least in diversity. I know the movies are usually a departure from the comics which spawned them, but imagine how many new fans the films have introduced to the comics. Like that, maybe these mates will not be recorded as the greatest things ever, but they could help bring even more fans into the fold and increase the chances of minimates as a whole continuing much longer than it could otherwise.

I'm not big on mates based on real people, as its harder to capture the character in 2" form. However, I will be getting both waves, though I don't see them acting as cornerstones to my collection. If anything, they'll make for good custom fodder.

As far as a Ghost Rider wave and movie, if the characters in the wave were a little more dynamic, I might be interested in them more, but for the most part it looks like we get another Ghost Walker variation, plus six civilians, two of which come with shovels. Based on that alone, I have little hope for the movie, as if Ghost Rider is the only character that looks like something other than a person, then I don't see it doing too well. Still, it might be worth seeing just to watch them set Nic Cage on fire, as I'm not too big on him as an actor.

I am planning on buying all the waves. However I am totally crazy for minimates. The idea of money has been weighing heavily on my mind. But if these waves are spread out, like they normally are, I am planning on buying them all. If they start to get too bunched together I will most likely drop the ghost rider wave. Although we are talking they would come out in the same week as the DCD or as Battle star for me not to buy them. It is like most people have been saying, just not that into ghost rider. I will probably even wait until the movie comes to video to see it (unless I hear really good things). But that has to do with the fact that movies in Tucson are crazy expensive. They cost the same amount as a minimate set, and really wouldn't you rather have the minimates.

I am not real crazy about the X3 minis, but I'll get a set. I am a big Ghost Rider fan, but I am not happy with the movie or the minimates. I am no Nick Cage fan and the charaters portrayed in the movie suck (IMO). The minis look OK, but they are based on characters i don't like, so I have little interest.

Mind you, I am a Marvel minimate completeist, so I'll probably get a set of GR minis anyway.

Wave 16 will get back to the classic comic characters that got me into minimates in the first place.

Back in the day Blade couldn't hold up his own series but the concept was good enough to spawn three (ok two) good movies.

IMO, Blade was a token character (great concept) with crappy stories and terrible art.

Fair point, I don't think I ever read a Blade comic in my life. Even after the film came out. To me he was always a good supporting character rather than the focus. The peeps behind the film really fleshed him out.

On the flip side of that... Spawn was huge in the mid 90's. Ever see the Spawn film?

It. Was. Shit!

Spawn sold based on 2 things Todd McFarlane's name and his art. The movie itself only had McFarlane's name - the art went out the window. At that point, fans were left with just the Spawn story and It.Was.Shit. :)

Ha! You made me spray my screen when I read that! :D

Spawn was just about bearable with Macfarlanes art, he had a real tendency to overwrite from what I recall. Panels of exposition all over the pages. Brrrr... Nasty!

I'm absolutely not interested in seeing GR simply because of Nic Cage. Can't stand him as an actor. He's on my list of actors to avoid (he's up there with Tom Cruise and Keanu) so I won't see the flick. I doubt that I'll pick up the mates.

X3 on the other hand, I might just pick up. They're different enough from the current characters that I can justify getting them.

So, I guess to answer the question, has wave 16 changed my feelings on buying waves 14 & 15, the answer would be no.

See I had a downer on Cruise but then I saw Vanilla Sky and Minority Report and kind of changed my opinion about his acting (meaning I liked the films and thought he was good in them). I still think the guy's a lunatic control freak. Making his wife convert to his wacky religion and go through child birth with no pain relief? That's just wrong! Kanoowie and Nic Cage just don't bother me. It's nice to see thick kids succeed (in Kanoowies case) and Nic's a geek so he's fine by me! :D

Anyway. No, wave 16 isn't going to make me think twice about buying waves 14 and 15. I'm having them mates!

I'm really all about the DC minimates currently. I'm glad Marvel saw the competition facing them and scapped any ideas for any more cheesy Wolverine and Spiderman minimates.

In the past they seem to think only more wolverine and spidermans would keep the line alive. Hopefully line 16 will sell the best, and finally shut Ast Asylums mouth.

I'll only buy 14 & 15 to complete my collection.

Well, I am a completist anyways so I'm getting them all. I usually get them by the cases anyways. I will get extras just for the new tooled parts.

I think people are more turned off by the movie mates being mixed into the regular line. I will say that movie licensed mates are different and I think are currently being compared to the regular comic license. My only problem is that the X3 event is over and these mates are comming out very late imo where interest is lower. Not to mention the abundance of X-men they have served us repeatedly so fans have gotten tired. I'm a fan of GR but these mates are movie based and not classic. No one has seen the movie (which will probably not do great) and has turned off people that don't know the characters. My hope is that DST doesn't compare sales and consider them the same because they're different.

Plus I dislike Nic Cages casting for the movie and this doesn't improve my interest in that mini. <_<

Really, it's the Addict in my, but yeah, I'll buy both. To be honest, series 16 isn't affecting me at all. In fact, outside of Thor, I have no real interest in the full line. Seriously, I think I'm looking forward to the Ghost Rider Minimates more as a whole than series 16. But again, there is that one little word: Thor, that keeps getting me excited. Oh well, I'll buy all of series 14, 15, and 16.......and 17 and 18 and 19 and 20 and 21 and 22 and....well, you get the point :). neo

I think that the X-3 wave is a good idea, the line up is really good. The Ghost Rider wave is subpar to say the least, in my opinion. Ghost Rider looks excellent, but the fact that most all the character's not have super powers makes it a little less interesting.

The Avengers wave is awesome, to say the least. Good choices and finally Thor, She Hulk and the Magneto kids. I can't wait to get them.

The only Marvel Legends I collect are X-Men. I have half of a Wolverine tattoo (still trying to save up money to finish it). XIII is my favorite movie. Yes, I will be getting them the day they come out (hopefully, if I can afford it - still missing the 12 & 13 variants).

The Ghost Rider 'mates look cool. Even if they didn't, I'm a completist, so I'd still be buying them. Does anyone think I really wanted The Leader!?

This wave is amazing. They all look incredible. (I'm pretty sure I was the first person to use the Ultimate Wolverine hairpiece for a custom Quicksilver - and look what hairpiece they went with! Ha!)

One complaint. Why Wonderman, and not Hawkeye? If there's one Marvel property I love next to X-Men, it's the Amethyst Archer. Oh, well. Still buying them.

Keep up the good work, DST!!

After hearing about the GR and X3 lines, I had just about given up on Marvel Minimates. This announcement has pulled me right back into the addiction! Everyone is so pumped about Thor, but She-Hulk is the most exciting character selection for me...

I do have to agree with Tenime Art- we get Wonder Man before Hawkeye? It boggles the mind how that choice was made! :down: