UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rules needed?

TBT!

Oh that's good!

It's also very likely to not get answered and possibly make DST less likely to agree to future Q&A's.

I thought you guys would have got the idea behind this by now, light fluffy and fun.

DST are not going to give away big secret's or answer anything thats deemed offensive or just plain stupid.

:rolleyes: and dont give me the " well what's the point in having a Q&A then" reply because you guys have seen how these have worked in the past and know what to expect... Stop building the castle on the swamp! :)

T.

Oh that's good!

It's also very likely to not get answered and possibly make DST less likely to agree to future Q&A's.

I thought you guys would have got the idea behind this by now, light fluffy and fun.

DST are not going to give away big secret's or answer anything thats deemed offensive or just plain stupid.

:rolleyes: and dont give me the " well what's the point in having a Q&A then" reply because you guys have seen how these have worked in the past and know what to expect... Stop building the castle on the swamp! :)

T.

You know, on one hand I see your point, but on the other, not asking it might not let them know that the "money saving" plans weren't big with the fans. Maybe reword them to ask very nicely why the side decals weren't there?

Oh that's good!

T.

You know, on one hand I see your point, but on the other, not asking it might not let them know that the "money saving" plans weren't big with the fans. Maybe reword them to ask very nicely why the side decals weren't there?

No matter how fancy the phrasing a slam is still a slam.

god Im vacant around here recently...

What TBT says is correct, be bloody polite. DST have better things to do than answer your queries, "OMFG YOU SUXK AT QC" etc etc isn't exactly going to make them glad they put their support behind this place is it?

With all whats been happening around here in regard to posts and the tones thereof is really starting to make me reconsider my "You're all intelligent people we dont need board rules" stance.

It's a bunch of ankle-biters on here that continuosly post stupid things that really don't need posting on here.

It just shows their age and immaturity....but thats just my opinion from what I see. :huh:

I totally agree, but what can I do that I haven't done?

Is it time this place actually had rules and experienced some moderation?

I'm happy to put the hammer down, but didn't want to scare anyone away. if i need to be stricter, just say the word. I'm more than fed up myself.

Well said mav-man & blacksun, I was just talking about this yesterday. As we as a forum keep growing, we will continue to get more members. These types of things will happen more frequently unless people put their part and exercise proper posting and actually have some manners as well. People follow by example and if you post one way others will follow. You post stupid, stupid posts will follow.

Hi Folks,

I typed the following 'post' up before this thread came to life and left it to sit over overnight while I decided IF I should post it.... and it looks like events have overtaken me and it has a very suitable thread already here.

Before I start I want to state that the following are purely the views of TBT and NOT MMMV, Ady, it's staff or any other 'interested' party.

I've been putting off doing this for a short while now but I wanted to say that I'm starting to worry that 'the feel' of this place is changing, and wanted to see if we can work out how to keep/bring back the old vibe.

What I want to do is to try to state what I believe is the 'heart' of the place and what we can do to ensure that even as we grow and become something much larger and diverse that we keep the things that made this a very special and unique internet forum in the first place.

Is it just me or if we are starting to lose sight of what we need to do to keep this place special or it's just getting watered down with our rapid growth? Dont get me wrong, I think that in order to survive and prosper we need new people and welcome everyone with open arms. I hope this post opens some discussion from those who are new as well as those who've been here from the start (or in some cases longer) and everyone in between.

Firstly I will say that Ady & the staff deserve HUGE amounts of credit for running this place and keeping it going (& relatively spam free). It's probably more work than you imagine and they do this in their free time and pay for it out of their own pockets for nothing more in return than a love of minimates and wanting to keep the community alive.

In fact that's probably the heart of the matter, in the past we have had fairly small numbers of 'hardcore' members who have looked out for each other over the years and formed a bond where we will bend over backwards to help each other out or share anything we find, be it snippets of info or good deals etc. That's where the friendly nature of this place comes from, At the risk of sounding a bit soppy I have formed genuine friendships here and have people I respect way beyond the minimate thing. So I'd say a large part of the heart of this place is friendship and mutual respect.

I also believe that why things feel different is a matter of example, As we grow we have more people starting to post and those people look to those that are already posting for an example of how to 'behave' and our old self imposed code of conduct that was known to all is becoming diluted by our rapid growth. There reason why we dont have a very strict set of rules here and that is that we simply havent needed them in the past.

I'm not naming names because I dont want to feed a 'them and us' feel to the place but I have utmost respect for some of the long standing members who understand that you dont have to... post 50 times a day, reply to every thread, share pointless 'Yeah me too dude' responses to something that doesn't need an answer or open a new thread to tell us about something without checking that there is an existing thread... to be a valid part of this community.

Here's what I'd like to see everyone ask themselves, are they following these 'TBT guidelines' they for the good/future of the Multiverse?

1) We are growning and need to try to keep our 'heart' whilst we grow. Try to set a good example, what makes this place special for you and what can you do to keep that 'spirit' alive?

2) Respect your fellow members and AA/DST, old hands or just joined today, treat them as you would expect to be treated.

3) Don't expect freebies from the site or generousity from other members, that is something that is given out of kindness not to be asked for or expected.

4) Be mindful of your posting, there is a fine line between banter and spam, something that some of us do not seem aware of these days. It's Quality not Quantity that counts.

5) If in doubt ask a staff member AND expect an honest reply. They are here for a reason and have their postions because they've earned the respect. Dont forget they have the power to help or have you suspended or banned so it's wise to actually listen to what they say and treat them with respect. And dont forget there are several staff members so dont just bug Ady, spread the load a little.

Ok that's my 'view' on the state of the multiverse, sorry if it comes across as personal, in a way it is I am genuinely fond of this place and would like to see it continue to stay the definitive minimate community with the emphasis on community.

T.

p.s. please try to Ignore any grammar or spelling mistakes in this post

I see no problem with having a few absolutes set in stone. We can still be a friendly open and welcoming group while making new members aware that there is a way to go about using the forum.

I'm a great believer in Moderators using the PM system as a way to quieten down some of the more boisterous or just plain ignorant posters. Remember some of the people that are putting noses out of joint are blissfully unaware that they're doing so. A simple PM letting them know that they're becoming annoying should suffice. If they don't change their behaviour then they can get booted and deservedly so. Maybe three strikes and you're out?

It worked for Clinton, maybe it'll work for Carter! :D

I fully concur shane, I've tried hard with several people, the change sticks for maybe 5 posts...

Can I make a suggestion?

How about a 'get tough week'? where everyone is warned in advance it's going to happen but the mods come down pretty hard ( even to the point of temp suspensions) on anything that is seen as 'against the rules or spirit of the place'.

That way it's prewarned so people cant complain they are being picked on and it will also give people a barometer of what is and isn't seen as acceptable behaviour?

Just a thought.

T.

I'm probably one of the offenders you're dancing around not offending. Being PC and all is important as this is a fan site and we need every member we can get. It keeps the site open, creates excitement, and creativity flourishes. However with all that freedom and creativity there are bound to be people (not that I would EVER do this) that will exploit and abuse this. And unfortunately the people this tends to offend the worst are the ones that will silently slink back into the balckness of "lurker" status, never to be heard from again. It's unfortunate as Ady and the crew have done more than their share and don't deserve to be hall monitors but I agree rules are needed. Really if you're here for the right reasons you have nothing to worry about and will never run afoul of the rules, and if not good riddance!!! :)

Gotta say:

I have noticed a little hostility on the boards as of late. But I did not think it was too much of a problem. Then again, I'm not a moderator so I don't know what it's like to deal with it on that level.

I think most people are getting it. And yes, sometimes even the VETS need reminding. This place still feels like the home-iest place on the net. And like Tim said, it's way beyond just MiniMates for me at this point.

Mods = do what you gotta do. Everyone will follow suit I'm sure.

Xy

This is a touchy subject...

There have been instances lately where people have been outright rude, and that's absolutely unacceptable. I for one am a very sarcastic person and what I consider humor may be sometimes be construed as mean-spirited. We all have "off-days" and sometimes come off a little less than friendly. I also know that the Staff and longtime, well-respected members have posted a few questionable comments as well- it's not just the new guys. I may take a little heat for that statement, but it's true. Do I think any less of them? Hell no. Nobody's perfect. This is the only message board I post on regularly, but I can say that I thoroughly respect our staff and their judgement. Whether or not a comment, post, or question is appropriate is very subjective though.

My opinion is that this is a forum. An open forum. The less rules, the better. I was getting a little burned out on the AA boards before they closed because it seemed like every time you looked, posts were moved, deleted, edited, etc. Some of the mods over there got a little too big for their breeches and I'd hate to see this place go down that road. If you want to reign in disrespect, spam, etc then that's great. I'd just like to avoid this becoming a police state. I like the idea of PMing the blatant offenders. Suspend them if they don't shape up and publicly acknowledge the reason why someone was suspended so that others can understand what is acceptable and what isn't.

I think you hit on a number of very good points.

This is a touchy subject...

There have been instances lately where people have been outright rude, and that's absolutely unacceptable.

Agreed 100%.

I for one am a very sarcastic person and what I consider humor may be sometimes be construed as mean-spirited.
I can appreciate that - I started out in the 'community' way back when what we now call forums were message boards on UsNet. We didn't have the ability to ban/suspend and being a little sarcastic was the best way to get rid of the rifraff. :D Simpler times....

We all have "off-days" and sometimes come off a little less than friendly. I also know that the Staff and longtime, well-respected members have posted a few questionable comments as well- it's not just the new guys. I may take a little heat for that statement, but it's true. Do I think any less of them? Hell no. Nobody's perfect.

Correct. A general rule of thumb I've leared to live by on forums is, if I'm not in a mood to post nicely, don't post at all. Pretty simple, no? ('Course, this was after I went about posting gems like this one:

cash_finger.jpg

for the entire board.... :D)

This is the only message board I post on regularly, but I can say that I thoroughly respect our staff and their judgement.
Agreed.

Whether or not a comment, post, or question is appropriate is very subjective though.

Agreed to a point.

If that comment, post or question is off topic or not doing anything but increasing the poster's post count, then it's probably not appropriate. Admittedly, determining when someone is simply posting to increase their count and posting because they're interested is a tough thing to learn. That's where the poster's history on the forum comes into play.

My opinion is that this is a forum. An open forum. The less rules, the better.

Keep in mind, this is Ady's forum - Ady's rules. I think if Ady (and the rest of the moderating team) want to impose some rules then that's perfectly fine by me.

I was getting a little burned out on the AA boards before they closed because it seemed like every time you looked, posts were moved, deleted, edited, etc. Some of the mods over there got a little too big for their breeches and I'd hate to see this place go down that road.
True. That Ady - he was a real tough one to get along with over there.... :D

If you want to reign in disrespect, spam, etc then that's great. I'd just like to avoid this becoming a police state. I like the idea of PMing the blatant offenders. Suspend them if they don't shape up and publicly acknowledge the reason why someone was suspended so that others can understand what is acceptable and what isn't.

Agreed. In my experience, some people will respond to PM's. Others need to be called out in public. Others won't change no matter what and the only recourse is to ban them. I honestly don't think it'll get to that point here. As I've said before, we've got a good bunch of people here. I think once a few of the newer people are around for a bit, they'll get the feel of the place and start to get assimilated. (Sorry - couldn't resist the odd Trek reference.)

I think if everyone who wished to post here just took a minute and look at what they are about to post before they do, things wouldn't get so harsh. Just put a bit of common sense to a post, comment, PM or whatever.

This is a wonderful community and a great group of folks to sit and talk with, and I really wish we can keep it that way.

I just hope we can all get along and have sensible discussions about our hobbies and such.

SCREW YOU, JCASTICK!

friggin' hippy ...

* sits on hands and waits for PM from mods *

(Too soon?) ;)

My opinion is that this is a forum. An open forum. The less rules, the better.

Which is why this place was working so well for so long. I think the mods' point is that there is a large influx of people. Some get it, some don't.

It's like anything, really. Back when I was going to "raves" it was all about the dancing and hanging out with my real friends in a place that was special and very comfortable. When more and more people found out about it, they started coming. Some were coming for exactly the same reason that we were, some definitely weren't. We continued to go because we loved it ... but we had to adapt to accomidate the new folks. It was never exactly the same, but it was a lot of fun still (most of the time). And don't get me wrong ... some of the friends I made AFTER it got "crowded" were just as strong if not stronger than The Originals.

Wow. It's early. Need coffee. Sorry if this post didn't make any sense.

MOVE ALONG ... NOTHING TO SEE HERE!