UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rules needed?

TBT!

I think Xybot somes it up pretty well.

I dont want to drown the place in rules (we've all seen what happens when lunatics start inventing insane rules....) basically the purpose of our week of harshness (we havent had to do anything yet :D) is just to get across the point that blood, sweat, tears and money goes into keeping this place running and some people seem to have the idea that they are above the need to be polite and respectful in their posts. (And PMs, some people seem to think I have no life outside of catering to their every whim).

It is an open forum and anything goes, but lets not forget the little things like attitude and tone in conversations, and the joys of not starting a new thread when 7 others exist on the same thing.

Oh and ontopicness, as thats nice too, obviously discussion grow organically but one thing I dont like is seen people jump on others trade threads with "ZOMG I NEEEDZ THIS TOO" or people just completely derailing threads, yes conversations evolve but sometimes I have to wonder why people make the posts that they do in some threads :P

BTW, feedback on what us staff do is appreciated, if ever you feel where getting dictator like or anything, please let us know. We'll ban you but at least you will feel like we listened (j/k)

In the immortal words of JL and the Wurlies "Lets all just relax, have fun and be safe"

As always, it takes a JL and the Wurlies song to really get to the heart of the matter, but I would just like to add something. Many, many times in my forum life (and I have been a member of a lot of forums in my time), I would type something out in the box, maybe some banter, maybe a gripe, maybe a snarky comment, maybe even a risque joke... and then I take my hands off the keyboard, read what I have written, and I think: Is this adding anything to the conversation/topic at hand?

And 9 times out of 10, I close the posting window without hitting the post button.

As always, it takes a JL and the Wurlies song to really get to the heart of the matter, but I would just like to add something. Many, many times in my forum life (and I have been a member of a lot of forums in my time), I would type something out in the box, maybe some banter, maybe a gripe, maybe a snarky comment, maybe even a risque joke... and then I take my hands off the keyboard, read what I have written, and I think: Is this adding anything to the conversation/topic at hand?

And 9 times out of 10, I close the posting window without hitting the post button.

I know exactly how you feel here Dan (can I call you Dan? :P ). I do that a lot, and even though I may be a "frequent" poster, I try to keep all my posts meaningful. Unfortunatly, I'm just usually not up for the big posts. I can't do the giant rants. Well, not on the computer anyway... Anyway, I like the idea of PMing someone who does something thats bothering, unless it's rather big. If they ignore, just post them a message, but I do think chances are needed first. Take Alpheon, our resident "fast talker". He may accidentally get carried away (just an example), but that doesn't mean we should post a big "ALPHEON, STOP WITH THE SPAM OMGZ!!!".

Oh, and I thought we didn't use the finger anymore, Reideen, because I still have the bomb... :P

The main offenders for the SPAM issues are the same folks finding themselves innocent of the charge.

Again, that's why I support the idea of PMing said offenders to let them know they are posting excess. And no, I'm not that dumb, I'm pretty sure I'm being referred to here.