UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Movie Line

JoeyCrypts

in a recent discussion I was asked what I would most like to see done with Minimates,

We all have licenses we'd like to see, DC Last Airbender etc but after discussing new lines, returning lines, and how i'd market say a no captain star trek line, I realised what i'd really like to see is a Marvel Movie Line. this year so many of the waves have been movies waves, I love the movies and I collect the mates as well but sometimes it would be nice to see a few more comic waves.

One of the complaints I hear often is how the Movie waves often have half the characters you want and sometimes TRU will carry the others(avengers), but i'f your like me and in the UK, TRU mates are not the easiest or cheapest thing to get. So I thought of a separate line for Marvel Movies, including Fox and Sony's movies as well. rather than one wave and a TRU wave with one or two characters that weren't in the LCS assortment, we get two waves, one before the movie hits and one after they don't all have to be different but a few exclusives in either wave even the return of single packs and maybe a boxset or two when you have a few characters that just cant fit into a wave. I'll use the Thor Waves/Sets as an Example but

What We Got

Thor (2)

Destroyer (2)

Odin (2)

Loki (2)

Coulson

Jane Foster

Sif

Volstagg

Civilian Thor

Laufrey

Asgardian Guard (2)

Frost Giant 1 (2)

Frost Giant 2

Selvig

the numbers indicate how many times different waves/sets they appeared in wave 39/TRU/Single Packs. so for a total of 14 different when there was slots for 20. With the current Movie Waves taking 8 slots rather than 7 with an army builder. would have increased this movie to 21

My Suggestion

Thor

Destroyer

Odin

Loki

Coulson

Jane Foster

Sif Volstagg

Civilian Thor

Laufrey

Asgardian Guard

Frost Giant 1

Frost Giant 2

Frost Giant 3

Selvig

Hogan

Fandral

Shield Agent Barton

Heimdall

Darcy

Frigga

So I said we can repeat characters but here we don't need to.Since it seems movie waves are going for a standard 8 unique with no army builder i'll use that as my standard so in our wave 1 remove one frost giant 1 and replace with Laufrey, in our wave 2 we replace Odin and Loki with the other members of the Warriors 3, Thor and Destroyer with SHIELD Agent Barton and maybe a different design for the frost giant. There we have 1

obviously every movie couldn't support two full waves of unique characters but just looking at say Marvel Studios Movies like Cap 1+2 my list of characters I wanted to see included

Colonel Chester Phillips
Dr. Abraham Erskine

Jim Morita

James Montgomery Falsworth

Arnim Zola

Sharon Carter / Agent 13
Alexander Pierce

Thor 2 was missing Kursed and Bor of the top of my head

and some more of those iron man armors and a 1999 Happy Hogan from IM3, civilian Rhodey, Female Extremis Soldier, The President,

GoTG, a collector, his assistant, Thanos and his assistant, Howard the duck, those other Nova Corp officers and Glenn Close

what do people think, would you like to see the Marvel line Split into two one Comics the other Movies, one complimenting the other but not taking spaces away from some. It would be less frequent than the comic waves only being used when the movies are released or maybe using the waves between films to fill in gaps from older movies, cause I see so many holes in the MCU minimate line or figures that are so hard to find they might as well not exist. just a though I had anyway

Edited by JoeyCrypts

I can honestly see the disadvantages and advantages of this. Having them both releasing at the same time could hurt one or the other. Also if there's a marvel movie without a wealth of characters worth minimating (Ghost Rider you poor bastard) we'd wind up with a boring ass movie wave with little to show for it.

The Wolverine leaps to mind as a boring-ass assortment. The absence of Silver Samurai and a non-funeral, emerald-clad Viper is even more noticeable when all the other character designs are so pedestrian. I crave authenticity and appreciate how AA translated the film characters into Minimates but we're still talking about a bunch of civilians and black-suited ninja. Even the black & white branding was dull.

I know DST's hands were tied when it comes to reference material but this seemed like a good case for either a follow-up offering or a comic-based assortment to tie into the movie.

Personally, I still think a staggered offering is worth a shot; one assortment in the mass market during the film's theatrical debut and another at specialty during the film's home video release.

I actually kind of love the idea of a staggered offering and I feel as though it very well might move more pieces that way.

as a point of comparison...when frozen was in theaters, the merchandise sat on shelves languishing. But then the oscars came around and the DVD released and suddenly there was demand with no supply.

does this model fit Minimates? I couldn't say for sure. But I have to wonder if some sort of renewed availability at time of DVD release might be a good idea

And just to be clear, I'm not suggesting simply staggering the releases but using that extra time to get resources necessary to develop a more comprehesive assortment. For example, the TRU Wolverine wave might have stayed the same but waiting until the home video release to offer a specialty assortment might have allowed for Silver Samurai and a more dynamic Viper.

My personal preference would be seeing the movie 'mates and comic 'mates split, each treated as their own separate line, especially if DST has really talked to Marvel about AOS and the Netflix shows. It's getting close to too much per year for my taste. GotG doesn't bother me because we have almost none of those characters yet, but in Avengers and Avengers 2 we're going to presumably more movie versions of characters we've gotten repeatedly, and understandably so, but sometimes it feels like comic releases are rare occasions.

<p>I have no interest in movie Minimates and it does kind of suck when they slow down production of comic Minimates, but I will say this; I'm glad I can completely skip a movie wave and not miss anything. If you only collect comic stuff, it's very easy to just avoid the movie stuff.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>When Hasbro took over Marvel Legends and made you buy horrible X3 figures to complete a comic build-a-figure, that was it for me and Legends collecting. WTF am I going to do with an X3 Beast? An X3 Juggernaut? Do people seriously put these in their comic displays? I think that's a horrible way to treat collectors and Hasbro is still doing that with their Legends Infinite series. You want to release movie figures? Fine, but don't mix them in with my comic stuff and force me to buy crap I don't want. Crap may be a strong word, but I think you're hurting movie collectors too by doing this because you can almost guarantee the coverage/character selection won't be as comprehensive as if a separate movie wave was done. Create a separate line, sell more product, and everyone wins!</p>

Edited by bigvis497

Why would splitting the lines increase the number of comic minimates made? You're essentially just changing the number on the packaging, not removing the other constraints that would stop DST from releasing more product. It doesn't seem like making the GotG wave "Marvel Movie Minimates 2014 Series 3" would make wave 59 come out sooner.

well since it would be a separate line with two different release schedules. the way that having walking dead minimates doesn't affect the marvel release dates.

So one month Marvel movie wave 1 is released with Marvel Comics wave 62, two months later Marvel Movie wave 2. two months after that Marvel Movie wave 3 and marvel comic wave 63 etc etc...

its not about changing the numbers, it would be a separate line with its own schedule and line-ups independent of the comic line. We're not saying the waves would come out quicker it would just mean more comics waves that would come out. 7 waves out of 12 in the main line and 4 out of 8 in the TRU waves since the start of 2013 and(i'm including all announced upto Wave 59) have been Movie waves so 11 of out 20 waves are movies. Freeing up those waves would allow more comic mates, since there would be no need to divert into a movie for one wave since theres a separate line for that.

If DST were to renegotiate their license which they admit they do on a regular basis, working a second line based on the movies is not outside the realms of possibility.

Edited by JoeyCrypts

Do we know Walking Dead doesn't affect Marvel release dates? I'm assuming the main constraint for DST is getting the design and manufacturing work done rather than license restrictions. I could be completely wrong, but I get the impression DST is pretty small and there aren't completely different people working on the different lines. With the number of licenses they're juggling right now I suspect doing, say, three extra waves of Marvel, comic or movie, isn't really an option.

I wouldn't mind a best of marvel movie line something like

wave one

X2 Wolverine, X2 Nightcrawler

Avengers Thor, Avengers Hulk

Spiderman, Electro

Daredevil, Elektra

Wave two

X1 Cyclops, X1 Jean Grey

Ironman, Whiplash

Mister Fantastic, Doctor Doom

Ghost rider, Howard the duck

That sort of thing.