UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates Vehicles and the Lost Play Pattern

It occurs to me that, with the exception of the M.A.X. line of stealth jets, the Minimates vehicles haven't taken advantage of the Minimates play pattern of interchangeability.

Making vehicles to complement the block figures is great. We get some super-deformed versions of pop culture cars and ships. But what they've lacked is that "Minimates factor" of being able to disassemble the toys and reassemble them in a variety of configurations.

Interchangeability would encourage multiple purchases and maybe even purchases of vehicles people wouldn't otherwise be interested in. What if the Time Machine from Back to the Future could be modified with parts from the Halo Warthog? Or if the Colonial Viper from Battlestar Galactica could swap wings with the M.A.X. Stealth Jet? Consumers could create their own customized toys.

I'm all for having vehicles that are as authentic as possible and accommodate Minimates. Still, it seems there's a missed opportunity here to differentiate the toys and promote the play pattern of the brand.

I agree that would be a cool idea, but yeah the costs would be a lot higher. Look at the KITT or 'Time Machine', the cars are basically 3-5 pieces counting the wheels/axles. Modular vehicles would probably require a lot more parts to really work.

We all know the Marvel vehicle issues, but I really think vehicles would have to work with a line that has a history of using them, like GIJoe/Star Wars/MOTU. ALIENS vehicles would definitely be cool, but getting a dropship or apc aren't a requirement for the license to succeed in my eyes (except for Power Loader!).

M.A.S.K. Minimates would be cool, the line has been dormant for years, but really had a fan-following from what I remember. Unfortunately that's a Kenner/Hasbro in-house license, right?

In reading up on the Micronauts license, I had no idea about the Palisades situation! Oh, Corndog. wink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisades_Toys#Micronauts_dilemma

The MAX helicopter was going to work in that play pattern, too. But overall, a vehicle made up of multiple, separable components requires a lot more engineering to remain structurally sound, and may not even be something a licensor wants to do.

I really wouldn't want to get back into the brick category because, as C3 taught us, it's a lot harder than it looks. Plus it's like everyone is into bricks now; Lego, Mattel, Hasbro, and now McFarlane. Even Todd recognizes that you can't enter that market without bringing something new to the table. Besides, all the top licenses are already taken in the brick category.

Simple vehicles with interchangeable parts would be more expensive but the value added could help stir up more consumer sales and greater interest among retail buyers.

Dioramas and playsets have been difficult enough to get into stores let alone into the hands of collectors. Star Wars fans have been begging for a rehash of the Kenner Death Star playset but Hasbro insists it wouldn't sell. The best they can do is offer large vehicles that double as playsets.

You're talking about getting into another category that DST has already tried and failed to do successfully, in resin and in laminated card stock. I'm just talking about modifying a product category they're already offering to echo the line of interchangeable action figures it's based on.

But how successful were generic vehicles? It seems like the best DST could hope for would be mediocre sales on a pretty significant investment.

Add the Minimates play pattern of interchangeability to them and they might sell better.

And to be fair, the only generic, interchangeable vehicles DST has offered were the Stealth Jets, which was really just one vehicle in a variety of colors. Had there been an entire line of different vehicles, things might have been different.

I hear you , MisterPL but, in a nutshell, until the potential of the interchangeability of Minimates themselves is realised then there is limited hope for the vehicles you are suggesting .

That's been a gripe of mine for a while as well. Minimates has this hidden play pattern that sets it apart from other action figures and not only is DST practically hiding it from consumers, Hasbro's going out of their way to copy it with their own Marvel action figures.

You're going to see "Mix-and-Match" and "with bonus parts" on a lot more packaging. Need to work on the visuals.

But I don't know how much a play pattern is going to move the needle on vehicle sales. Either they'll take it based on the license or they won't. The ability to trade parts will likely not play a part.

Mego Bloks are much maligned & in many respects (the earlier figures)..... rightly so... but some of their vehicles & dioramas work wonderfully well with Minimates .

I recently acquired and built the Ninja Turtles Combat Lair and the Alien Agency big sets as well and they are fantastic.

Mego Bloks are much maligned & in many respects (the earlier figures)..... rightly so... but some of their vehicles & dioramas work wonderfully well with Minimates .

I recently acquired and built the Ninja Turtles Combat Lair and the Alien Agency big sets as well and they are fantastic.

yes.gif