UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The DIY thread

Jeff

I've always wanted to see a thread in the form of a minimate think tank. Meaning a place where people could offer up their ideas to share with everyone. This would be different from the decal thread or individual's own custom threads. There's only so many minimate customs one can think up and in turn, create. But what about those missed opportunities? The "why didn't I think of that?" and "it'd be awesome if they made fill-in-blank". So I propose this thread to help.

Still lost? :blink:

Here's an example- I always thought the jacket from the zombie taxi driver from Ghostbusters would make for a great Captain Planet and the Planteer's jacket. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of CPATP so I never made them, but one of you might be and the thought never crossed your mind or maybe it has and you didn't know where to start. Now you have the recipe...along with this visual:

cpp.jpg

So that's how this thread could work. Start off with something small like a jacket or hairpiece alongside the character in question you wish to custom and go from there. Or it could be an entire figure for that matter. Having looked at Ivan's site numerous times and my own personal collection to boot, I've had several ideas that never saw the light of day. Sound fun/interesting/terrible? Let me know. :)

This is how I make all my customs- I start with an image, rake thru my collection for pieces that would make a great fit or hit up the Database (then the have/wants//part/exchange thread here or as a last resort ebay) and go from there. The more existing minimate parts I use the better.

Edited by Jeff

Wow, 69 views and no responses. :confused:

Here's a few more examples/ideas I thought of:

Roberta, the robot secretary of the Fantastic Four:

roberta.jpg

Carmen Sandiego:

carmen.jpg

Gilligan and the Skipper:

gilligan.jpg

Edited by Jeff

The jacket of the Taxi Driver Zombie could work for a vest for Ma-Ti, the boy from South Ameria with the power of Heart.

I had the idea to try to make a Skipper and Gilligan but lacked the idea of where to get the right parts but from your post, I now have the idea and will work out getting the parts I need. Thank you.

The jacket of the Taxi Driver Zombie could work for a vest for Ma-Ti, the boy from South Ameria with the power of Heart.

I had the idea to try to make a Skipper and Gilligan but lacked the idea of where to get the right parts but from your post, I now have the idea and will work out getting the parts I need. Thank you.

SUCCESS! Glad I could help Captain. This is what the thread is for! Or you could even post suggestions for customs and I could see what I could come up with. :highfive2:

• 2 months later...

Thinking since so many new members joined recently, I'd give this thread another shot in the arm....but I'd like to try something different.

Who would you recommend for the cast from Sliders?

post-3472-0-32302000-1362148657_thumb.jp

I'm thinking Kingpin would make for a great Arturo. Winston Zeddemore for Rembrandt but who for Quinn and Wade?

I now have the urge to watch Captain Planet! Not sure if that's a good thing or not...

Watch the Don Cheadle youtube version first. NSFW- but hilarious. You'll never look at War Machine/Iron Patriot the same again.

So DC's Captain Marvel/Shazam is one of my favorite comics characters, I guess the Captain's minimate is capturing the Fawcett look of the character. Can anyone think of a better head/hair combo for the cap? I've looked and I was thinking maybe Nathan Drake and a random Tony Stark hairpiece. Please let me know your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I can't advise on any of the ideas posed on here, I thought I would share this idea I'm drawing up

post-3031-0-74540300-1363195520_thumb.jp

All it would need is a bottle of white paint, a new mask piece, maybe building a bit of a neck and shoulder hump, and a decal on the face and chest.

I also think Tinkerbell's skirt form the Disney mates would be perfect for Savage She-Hulk

Edited by Liney

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I have yet to get the parts I need to attempt Gilligan and Skipper from the classic television series.

I have been working on "Revolution" Minimates as well as "Once Upon A Time" Minimates.

I have been curious about what it would take to make Classic Doctor Who mates with little sculpting?

A few posts back there was an Idea for Carmen Sandiego: Couldn't you use the DC minimate Question for the hat/hair and the coat? I know the coat is not closed but would be would be a nice fit for a custom of Carmen Sandiego. Merely would have to paint the appropriate parts red but could work nicely. Just a thought.

Edited by Captain Paco