UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Important: i, Robot Minimates

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From PopBox:

Hi Everyone, Thanks Ady for putting this up.

Thanks everyone for their comments. There was a lot of comments that was noted in this forum and I will try to comment on all of them. And hopefully will get more feedback from you guys.

1) VIKI would be made in a semi-transparant green block similar to lots of stuff that you see in Kubricks. That is if we make her; as of now, there does not seem to be an interest. This actually leads to the question of how do you prefer your minimates: more old style cubic like or more detail such as you find in the new BG Cylon? We are tending more towards the newer more detailed style which we will work closely with AA on. However TBC. Would like to hear from you guys on this.

2) Why choose i, Robot? Well, there are many crossovers. Movie, SciFi, Asimov, and you minimate fans. As similar to our other IR products, they can be sold to specialty, comic, toy, B&N, Sharper Images, etc. stores. Yes there are better licenses out there but 1 step at a time...

3) Quantity? We feel there are a good number of potential buyers that are not specifically minimate fans. However, based on past minimate sell-through with other properties, we are taking this into serious consideration. All of the sets will be limited to 1,000 units except the 5-pack which are more like going to be 4,000-5,000. Note that this is worldwide. There are also Kubrick fans out there that might be interested.

If you look at some of the other limited editions out there, for example LOTR Elrond, it is advertised at 5,000 units. But then LOTR is a lot bigger than IR. So with just 1,000 units, we expect a quick sell out and hopefully for the 5-pack also. When have you seen a production run that low outside of resin statues?

4) Pricing? I see on AFX, toywiz and EE averages around $4.5 per figure. So we are probably looking at $22 for the 5-pack. Unlike the normal AA packaging, we are planning a gift box set similar to the X-men Kubrick Happinet 5-pack exclusives (http://www.action-hq.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1771). More Asian design. For the builder sets: NS-4, police and military 4-packs, we are looking at $16 for the 4-pack. Please note that as we are not producing 40,000 units like some of the other ones, our cost from AA is not as low as you might expect...R&D, artwork, licensing fee, etc. also and we are a business, at the end of the day. And retailers need to make money too.

For the vehicles, we are making these because we noted that lots of minimate fans like to do dioramas. As a single minimate, it is okay to display but imagine re-enacting the tunnel scene (I did a lot of imagining when I was little) or displaying that. Now that is cool! Hopefully you guys follow. For the price, as it is only 1,000 units, and the transport being around 14" x 8" x 5" with lots of plastic, it will not be as cheap. We also have to make it in hard vinyl rotocast.

Transport Carrier with 10 "evil" NS-5 minimates (3 face variations) SRP $75. 10 minimate figures at $4 a unit is already $40. The car and Spooner will be SRP $25. All this is not set in stone yet as we have to finalize art and manufacturing cost. A possiblity would be to sell the 10 NS-5 separately from the Transport but we do not see the point in it.

These 2 vehicle sets are for more hardcore collectors. Not everyone would want them and not eveyone can afford them. You can compare the prices which is similar to urban vinyl figures where they only do 300 units and sell them at $80 a pop.

Anyway, please comment if you like.

Cheers!

Cheers for stopping by.

I think the revised quantity idea of "1,000 units except the 5-pack which are more like going to be 4,000-5,000" is much more realistic and should hopefully lead to a very quick sell through.

Your pricing structure seems pretty spot on, obviously the production runs of these will be much lower that stuff like the TRU Marvel 2-Packs so I think most of us expect the unit cost to be higher.

I do like the idea of the 5 pack been a boxset along the lines of that Kubrick one, I concur about how cool it would be to have the car and such for diorama purposes.

One suggestion I might offer around the transport and NS-5s is to possibly lower the cost by having it as a set of 5 or so with the vehicle, rather than ten, that way the cost would be nearer $55 which just seems a little more manageable to me.

As for the whole "newer Cylon style, or older, painted style" issue, go for the old style, as I think that too much detail will make them look less minimate, and more other miniature toys.

K folks, instead of keeping on saying "Dont do them, its a bad license" lets actually try to answer the original question of:

"Would like to hear from you on your choice of characters in Set of 5,

limited edition quantities and if we should limit it, suggested prices;

suggested projects, producing them in the new more detail style (i.e.

BG, LOTR) or old style, etc.?"

As you've probably noticed this isnt AA asking, its PopBox, whom appear to have the i, Robot license, and are enquiring how best to go about making minimates out of them. It isnt AA saying "What license should we have?"

I would buy the minimates, but I would not be interested in vehicles. I think these should definitely be in the 2" scale. I think the more detailed style would be the way to go with these. And I think the prices and quantities described above sound like a good bet.

One suggestion I might offer around the transport and NS-5s is to possibly lower the cost by having it as a set of 5 or so with the vehicle, rather than ten, that way the cost would be nearer $55 which just seems a little more manageable to me.

Thanks for stopping by PopBox. I commend you for coming here and asking for our opinions/concerns. As with Ady, I also suggest doing something to lower the price of the transport unit/set.

We've never had a retail item that expensive. From past experiences as in the $50 C3 Batcave set didn't sell as well because fans thought it to be too expensive. Although different, C3 should serve as somewhat of a roadmap of how not to price minimates out of range. The mini-flyers were the only successful release of C3 imo.

So really you weren't looking for opinions on if you should do this or not, but rather feedback on what it would take to get us to buy this line? Fascinating.

Must be 2". Scrap the idea of bigger playsets, or have the carrier be cardboard. Remember, less is more. You should concentrate on the little guys as those are the things that make or break the line.

Scrap the idea of bigger playsets, or have the carrier be cardboard. Remember, less is more. You should concentrate on the little guys as those are the things that make or break the line.

Gone are the days of cardboard playsets and backdrops (thankfully).

I love the idea of the vehicles, especially the Audi. As people are saying the price for the Transport Carrier might be a little high but as PopBox has pointed out this is for the hardcore collector.

From PopBox:

This actually leads to the question of how do you prefer your minimates: more old style cubic like or more detail such as you find in the new BG Cylon? We are tending more towards the newer more detailed style which we will work closely with AA on. However TBC. Would like to hear from you guys on this.

I would love to see PopBox take the iRobot license in the same direction that BSG has gone - packing as much detail into these guys as is humanly possible while retaining the overall Minimate appearance.

As I mentioned before I was not a fan of the movie but I am excited by the proposed figures and vehicles (especially the vehicles!) as well as the fact that PopBox seems to want to be able to bring the fans a sense of "movie accuracy" with it's multitude of robots and troop builders.

Let's be as constructive as possible here guys, PopBox is asking for our input which is what we've always wanted from AA, right?

As people are saying the price for the Transport Carrier might be a little high but as PopBox has pointed out this is for the hardcore collector.

Even the hardcore collector has his limits. After all they plan to make a profit, not let them stay on shelves until they are on clearence.

I would love to see PopBox take the iRobot license in the same direction that BSG has gone - packing as much detail into these guys as is humanly possible while retaining the overall Minimate appearance.

I fully agree.

I do find it interesting that as little as 2 months ago, people were SCREAMING for generic mates, as police men and fire men. Now that they have a chance, no one is interested.

Hey, I voiced an interest. So let the record show there is some interest at least for police and rescue army packs. :)

I, Robot sounds like a great property to test the waters. I can't imagine it commands a high royalty or annual guarantee, it's based on a high-profile movie, and it's got army builders among its roster of characters which can help lower per-unit production costs.

My choices for the first five would be Spooner, Sonny, Dr. Calvin, Dr. Lanning, and Robertson. Get those main players out in one shot.

I really like the idea of a carrier for hard-core enthusiasts. That's a great way to offer army builders. Something like that could double as a displayer for the collection. And if you offer the carrier you should offer the Audi as well.

Same with the NS-4 robots. Great freight container packaging idea there.

I agree that the 'mates need to be 2-inch scale. I hope that's understood. That should help sell the military and police 'mates to anyone looking to build their ranks outside of this property.

I also think that 1,000 worldwide is a bit low. I could be wrong.

I'm MisterPL and I approve this message.

VIKI would be made in a semi-transparant green block similar to lots of stuff that you see in Kubricks. That is if we make her; as of now, there does not seem to be an interest.

Maybe you could sneak VIKI in as a "Build A Figure" where certain parts of her come with certain sets. That could encourage sales at least for those who want to have a fully assembled VIKI as well as not taking away a spot in a 5-pack for a character who has a greater appeal.

Thank you, Ady, for getting this back on track. It's not up to us to build PopBox's business plan, they've already put thought into this. There are some heavy hitters, serious addicts, on this board who haven't really voiced an answer yet, having been distracted by the "good license/bad license" issue, who I would like to hear from. (Shanester, MrPL (who answered as I was typing this :rolleyes: ))

Since PopBox was kind enough to visit this thread with specific comments and questions, I'll try harder with a specific answer. Firstly, I am addicted to miniMates but only buy almost everything put out. I have not seen the I Robot movie, but did read the story decades ago and saw plenty of movie trailers.

I would like to see the Will Smith character, some female representation, plus the robot of course. And, if the line sells, a pack of robots for army-building. Vehicles in my book are big plus, both for this line and to fill in gaps in the other miniMate lines (I know that shouldn't be PopBox's concern, but if it helps sell their toys...).

I think PopBox has a marketing eye on what Kubrick is doing. Which is good news to me, I've long wanted miniMates to sell simply because they are 'mates, not because of the license. (A confusing sentence, I know, but that is one side of the Kubrick marketing world.) But speaking of the Kubs, just recently I was reading a general discontent with recent Kubrick offerings like Spawn and Snoopy because the designs have wandered too far from the accepted Kubrick block figure look.

That echoes my vote for simplicity: miniMates are block figures, not action figures. Marvel went too far with face detail and has backed off in the very latest waves. BSG does a great job of balancing detail with simplicity. That said, when it comes to body shape (ala Cylons), I can see a desire, a need to tweak the body parts when you're designing the IR robots, since they are not human.

As people are saying the price for the Transport Carrier might be a little high but as PopBox has pointed out this is for the hardcore collector.

Even the hardcore collector has his limits. After all they plan to make a profit, not let them stay on shelves until they are on clearence.

I dunno, some of the prices I see for Kubrick sets are frightening. And if PopBox can get into places like Sharper Image, that's a whole different kind of collector.

Along with that, consider the plans AA had for BSG before it got into DST's hands. That's the product path I'd like to see.

I guess in all the discussion, I forgot to answer the question (sorry). I think most of the price points seem pretty reasonable. I'm not sure about the transport set with 10 minimates, but I'd have to see the final product to say one way or the other. As to the five pack, my choices would be: Spooner, Calvin, Lanning, Sonny and NS-5 (evil). I feel this group would serve as a good intro set which might help a first time buyer decide to go back and purchase more of the additional sets. The idea of a build a figure VIKI could work well, or maybe just a translucent backdrop piece which could simulate the effect? As to the sculpting, not sure how much is too much. I like the traditional "block" style that 'mates have, but some additional detailing might lend itself nicely to the robots. Anyway, I'll buy them if/when they become available.

Disclosure: I haven't seen the film. I buy just about all minimates - I'm even looking forward to Rocky and the cereal ones! So, here's what I would look for in an I, Robot line:

2" figures. This is essential.

As for level of detail, look no further than BSG. They're perfect.

If you're going to do vehicles, go all-out and make them scuplted plastic. No C3 Lego-wannabes.

I can't speak about the characters specifically, but make a wide variety available. I'm a big fan of the BAF concept. I would definitely get troop-builder sets if they looked good!

PopBox - I think your I,Robot plans are a great idea. And I understand why you would choose that license.

I know many collectors were probably a little surprised by the license choice, but this has far more to do with the fact that the current major Minimate properties were scarce in 2006.

Pop culture is cyclical and we are currently in an up cycle with comic superheroes/horror and a down cycle with sci-fi. Investing in sci-fi now is a brilliant move.

Sci-fi Minimates are scarce but BSG is leading the way. I hope I,Robot is the first of many new sci-fi and other Minimates from PopBox.

As for your specific points: $80 for a plastic vehicle is very do-able. The five pack sounds awesome - I can't wait! I will buy all of these.

This is a lot of stuff to ponder. I know I want a carrier. Man, I'd love to have WAVES of robots attacking Spooner. I like what you suggusted Popbox, but maybe a little lower price? I'm not asking for a ton lower, maybe just $5-10?

I like what you suggusted Popbox, but maybe a little lower price? I'm not asking for a ton lower, maybe just $5-10?

Jeez, yeah, same here. Thank you so much for getting our imput, it's amazing that what we type here might actually have a direct and immediate effect on the future of Minimates, but, kind sir, those prices are...a little HIGH. I don't think they'd move. Why are they that high? Is it the availibility? :unsure:

Oh, God! He plays Spike???? My favorite Spike??? That stupid junkie Even Stevens kid is going to play my beloved Spike? NOOOOO! (We should really have a crying smiley) Why God? Why?

Speaking of which, has anyone picked up the new (old) Transformers Movie Limited Edition 2-Disc Set?

Late to the party, but I need to throw out a single... solitary... lonely... vote for three-inch Minimates. Of course it would be a bad business decision and there would likely be rioting on the streets of the Multiverse, nevertheless I still prefer the larger size. Additionally, the fact that you have rudimentary cost estimates leads me to believe that you've settled on the two-inch scale. I'd imagine three-inchers wouldn't be possible at those prices, mainly because you'd have to scale the vehicles as well. Frankly, I'm surprised you can get two-inchers to retail at those prices and in those limited runs. If you're going for the "urban vinyl" crowd, I think the three-inchers would be more appealing.

Not having seen this movie, I can't speak for character choices, but I love army builders. So a 10-pack makes me all warm and tingly inside. :) I think the vehicles would be cool also. My preference is to have them properly "Minimate-ified." Sort of like the Star Wars Galactic Heroes ships (example, example). I think that opinion is also in the minority here as well.

I hope it works out.