UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ipod/MP3 Players etc...

TBT!

Hey Guys.

I seem to be spending more time on airplanes or waiting around for things/people etc. these days so I've decided I've put off put off buying an MP3 player for long enough!

Ipod seems the sensible (and sheeplike) option, Either Nano (the nice new 8gb one) or Video 30gb (is that big enough?) probably.

Anyways I have questions for you young groovy guys B):rolleyes: that I'm assuming use these things all the time. :)

1)What do you use? and would you recommend getting the same make/brand etc.

2)What is your lust after player, you know the one you really wanted but couldn't afford/justify? :)

3)Is it worth getting someting that plays video? it seems to me that it's more hassle than it's worth with encoding etc. for the size of the screens and video battery life.

Well I think you guys get the idea.

Thoughts?

T.

I'm rather picky with my gadgets and have yet to be impressed, but that's the way it goes.

Obviously the ipod is the popular choice, if you are only going to do music then it'll be fine. I had one but returned it because I wasn't getting enough use out of it. I currently use my phone as an MP3 player and it does the job, plus I play movies. On occasion I do have to shuffle files around because of the storage limitation. I will say that I would go with the bigger ipod because of the storage and video option. I see the video option as an added bonus if you are going to use it and take the time to prep videos/movies. I don't see many people using their IPOD for video.

Right now I'm looking into the Zune, but will wait till it's released to see if I'll buy one.

I just got an 80G iPod... I love it. I've got something like 5,000 songs and the entire second season of Doctor Who on it, and I've only used up like 17G...

A Hint, the 8G Nano is a rip off. You can get the 30G Video for the same price. Sure, the Nano is small, but you're a manly man... You don't want a little girly mp3 player... Do you?

I have an mp3 player that holds 128MB (it was a gift... I couldn't be picky ;) ) but it has a slot for an SD card (which is great) Anyway, I am constantly shuffling the files around, cuz even a 2 GB card doesn't hold as much as I'd like. And that's without the option to play video.

My 'lust after' player is definitely the iPod video (80GB)... My friend has one, and I love using it.

I too was looking into the Zune player, but I've been hearing some negative speculation (nothing confirmed though)... but like JL, I'll have to wait and see it before I make a judgement.

anyway, I would say go for the iPod video. But then, I don't care about the 'hassle' of encoding and all that. I love the video aspect, and having portable video access is a wonderfully fun thing :P

I've had my iPod for just over 2 years and I love it like a son. I'd deffo recommend you go for the 80gb jobbie. Friends of mine bought the Creative Zen because they didn't want to appear 'sheeplike' and ended up sending them back cos they were cheaply made and getting iPods. Neither of them regretted it.

oh god the shame, *hides in a corner*

Atm i roll around with 128mb small and black MP3 player depending on how big the various tracks are depends on how many songs I can get, the maximum songs I can get as long as they're around the 3 minute mark would be about 30 and pushing it 35.

I would love an IPOD but the issue with Itunes etc puts me right off, where as im happy to roam around with my crappy broken mp3 player (the small LCD screen broke :() but it suits me fine as I only use it for listening too on the bus or walking and such. I really do need a new one, but this one will have to do <G>

cheers,

Tk

Im not all that uptodate on Apple technology :P but Itunes needs extra software to work, MP3's don't... so in my oppinion its easier to shuffle around MP3's to any device than an Itunes which only works for one device.

As I said im not that familiar with Apple... so perhaps im just afraid of what I don't understand :P

cheers,

Tk

I have a Sandisk Sansa and I love it. FM reciever, data recorder, and 4GB of music/data space (more than enough for me). Very versatile, easy on batteries, I can't say enough about it.

Funny, I just started shopping for MP3 players myself.

One big requirement for me is the ability to use it as a jump drive -- loading files other than audio files on the device.

A fairly up-to-speed salesman at Circuit City (believe me, I know BS salesmen when I see them, particularly concerning electronics) pointed me to the SanDisk player.

Those of you with those 80GB Ipods -- don't the hard drives take hits if you're moving around?

A hard drive on a mobile device is just asking for heartache.

I agree, and there are actual bad user experiences with some ipod having HD failures. This is another reason I stuck to my phone with SD card. Hence I'm never pleased or impressed with any gadget. :P

I got a black 2GB iPod Nano when they first came out. Wish I had gotten it in white, 'cause I'm tired of the black, but it works great! I also have the Nike add-on and it has done wonders for motivating me to get back into running. Now I want one of the new aluminum-encased red Nanos (always want the next new thing...) but I've told myself to wait another year. By then, something will be out that's cooler and/or cheaper.

I have a 4GB iPod Nano and I love it. It holds 1000 songs, and I have around 750 on it at any given time so it's perfect for me. I don't want to watch videos on my iPod, and I don't want a hard drive, so those larger models with all that memory aren't worth the extra cash to me.

Keep in mind though, that I also don't care to have a cell phone that takes pictures and plays music, or a video game system that doubles as a home entertainment system, so if you are into all the extra stuff an 80GB model might suit you.

Those of you with those 80GB Ipods -- don't the hard drives take hits if you're moving around?

Moving around? What's that?

Seriously, I didn't get it to take to the gym or workout. I'm still using my MiniDisc player for that one... I still love my MDs...

I got my 80G for the truck and for work, so the moving around doesn't really affect me.

As far as iTunes goes... I hated it until I had to start using it. Now, I love it. It's so user-friendly and easy to use. Hell, the iPod doesn't even come with an instruction manual... That's how easy to use it is.

Yeah, I agree with you about iTunes. I was pissed about not being able to use Windows Media with the iPod because all of my music was on there. I almost bought a different brand because of it. Once I started using iTunes, though, I came around. Apple definitely has their shit together. :)

I just got the 80gig ipod a few months ago and couldn't be happier. I'd go for the bigger space. I had a 20gig ipod for awhile but eventually filled the thing up. I never thought I would, but you'd be surprised by how quickly it happens. I definitely like the video option. I download tv show episodes all the time using bittorrent and then use the videora converter to make them ipod compatible. So now i watch tv at work during lunch. So if you wan to do something like that, video takes up a lot of room. I also find myself downloading a lot of podcasts and episodes of the howard stern show and those all take up a decent amount of space. Also, I've found the battery life to be pretty good, even when using video. Hope this helps.