UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

The Rumble is always a fun match just to see the surprises. Spoiler tags initiate!

ADR vs Big Show:

I was disappointed in the ending with the duck tape. Seemed like a cheap victory and was also hoping for Ziggie to cash in.

Rumble:

Did it seem like every new entrant that came in, Ziggler was one of the first to get hit once the person got in the ring? I kept getting that deja vu feeling and finally noticed that as the match kept going on. It felt like that he was trying to steal the spotlight. Not that it was a bad thing.

Jericho! Man, that was a total surprise! He set the mood up quickly and it was a very strong start.

Ah, Kofi and and Goatface saves. Those were just entertaining. I kept wanting someone to just do a baseball slide onto Kofi while he was doing the pogo stick bounce on the chair. And for Kane, I wanted him to walk off with DB into the back and come bring him out after the "last man" is left.

I was just going with the flow the entire match not thinking who would be next so I forgot Ryback would be 30 once the final countdown started. I hyped myself up thinking it'd be good and, well... At least it was smart to keep him until the end so he looks strong.

I knew Jericho wouldn't win so out of the remaining final guys, Ziggler was my pick, then he got elimimated. Then Orton was my pick and he was eliminated. Fine, Sheamus is perfectly okay with me. Nooo! Cena and Ryback. Lesser of two evils pick was Cena... And that foreshadowed the main event. Plus, no SHIELD agents were present so far.

Punk vs. Rock:

I was exhausted after the Rumble match that I didn't really get into this. I might feel differently if I watch it again later. But I missed the spot where the announce table crashed. Once it restarted, I knew Punk was in trouble. He should have just ran off into the crowd after retaining. Was hoping Punk would retain, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Rock carries the title going forward.

I have my nitpicks but overall, it was a good show and that is all that matters!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Storm, I only disagree that Cena is the lesser of two evils. Any two evils. smile.png

I read a comment somewhere that said that the Rumble has become too much like an elaborate game of Hot Lava (the children's game where you have to avoid touching the floor), and I think that's an apt description. A little too much focus is placed on guys "almost" going out, and I hate it when the ring gets too crowded. My personal favorite Rumble is the one from 2002 (won by HHH, and mostly remembered as the one where Maven eliminated the Undertaker, and paid for it big time), which I think is unique in that it had several separate little stories tied together to tell one big story.

Oh, and while I was going to sleep last night, it dawned on me that Kofi just had to hop on one foot back to the ring. Problem solved.

The one legged hop back into the ring strategy makes me think that when HBK almost got eliminated by the British Bulldog, did HBK mess up and he wasn't supposed to touch the floor? And the announcers covered it up by saying only one foot touched? It was after that moment that I realized as a kid, why doesn't everybody just do a one legged hop if they are almost out? Even if someone does do it, only a few people could probably pull the one legged hop off and not get boo'd by the internet for being lazy, like Jerry Lawler in his bad guy days and maybe Santino. So I guess Kofi gets the OMG or whatever Slammy for 2013 now.

next year kofi will have to a Buddhist levitate just to get a clap.

JR should do commentary if that happens. "KOFI'S FLYING! KOFI'S FLYING! OH MY GAWD, KOFI'S FLYING!" But his entrance and shirt says that he can fly. So I guess this year's Kofi spot was a disappointment. Either way, can't beat John Morrison's Spidey spot.

A lot of cool little surprises in the Rumble itself, but I felt disappointed in the show overall. Punk lost his title in a weak finish, left a bad overall impression. I understand what they are building to, and it makes financial sense, I just thought Punk should have looked stronger. Not only did it make Punk look weak, it made the whole roster who couldn't take the belt off Punk in over a year look weak.

Eh, I don't really have a problem with the finish. It's not like the Rock's never pinned anyone off the PE before. Punk didn't look any weaker here then he did in his HIAC match with Rybeck, and he won that one.

Raw was pretty terrible tonight, and I didn't even see the second hour, which featured the Rock/Punk confrontation, setting up a rematch at EC. Now, before that happened, though, Cena came out and talked about challenging for the WWE title, and saying that he'd either be going against Punk, who he can't seem to beat, or the Rock, who beat him last year. Now, here's the thing... the segment setting up the rematch hadn't happened yet! WTF?

Punk was great in the opening segment of the show, pissed off as hell about what happened last night. And I'm sure he was great confronting the Rock. And then, there was a lot of filler. A loooooooooooooot of filler... and then, finally, Chris Jericho! And Dolph! And AJ in tight pants! And then, the last segment, which I won't spoil if you didn't see it...

Vince McMahon confronted Paul Heyman and played video proof that Heyman was behind both Brad Maddox and the Shield. Vince is about to fire Heyman, when... Brock Lesnar! The night did not end well for Vince. Heyman was amazing in this segment, by the way. Now, our hope becomes that we're seeing the formation of a new Dangerous Alliance with Punk, Lesnar, and the Shield.wub.png

Yeah, the Cena segment was odd announcing who he is going to challenge. Not that it was surprising. I was wondering if Rock would be in an elimination chamber match or not. Didn't think so since they'd want to keep Rock safe.

I think I stand with you on RAW Hellpop. Most of RAW was just meh. Pretty much just the beginning and end were good. RAW Roulette and Slammys are gimmicks I look forward to that usually just end up not delivering it enough for me. Khali karaoke was horrible, but in a very entertaining way. I know Khali is on twitter but can he really read English? Tensai, well, hopefully bigger things are coming for him. How could you not predict the performance review outcome? Which of course will lead to that match at Wrestlemania. I didn't expect Undertaker to come out tonight, but am anxiously awaiting his arrival.

I actually do like Fruity Pebbles and will look to find the Cena and Bam Bam cover. But I will only buy if it is on sale. smile.png

I was waiting with bated breath to hear if Cena was going to go after the primary Raw title or the secondary Smackdown one rolleyes.gif

I am usually OK with Cena, but that segment made me dislike him more than usual. Also, he looks more ripped than usual (if that's possible). Like his muscles were about to explode. And I guess my speculation that Cody Rhodes might be champ within a year may need to be retracted after that squash laugh.png Maybe Antonio with the Smackdown strap is a more realistic wish that could be realized.

Edited by karamazov80

Watching Bryan Danielson and Samoa Joe vs. KENTA and Naomichi Marifuji. Freaking shame that WWE doesn't have Bryan in these kinds of matches. He's SO great in the ring, and he's been reduced to a comedic novelty act.

Watching Bryan Danielson and Samoa Joe vs. KENTA and Naomichi Marifuji. Freaking shame that WWE doesn't have Bryan in these kinds of matches. He's SO great in the ring, and he's been reduced to a comedic novelty act.

I d agree somewhat I'm a big fan of Bryan and really like what I've seen in older ROH matches with Nigel McGuinness, Austin Aries etc. I would guess that when they finally have the break down of Team Hell No that Bryan may be able to go back to a more straight wrestling character. Dont get me wrong I actually enjoy this slightly more comedic side to him and He like Punk has flourished with nearly everything WWE have thrown at him which shows for me how good he is and can be.

I watched the Punk interview leading up to his faceoff with Rock last night for the first time after posting (from January 7 I think?), and he mentioned how all McMahon cares about is popularity, and many wrestlers have had to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get the fans behind them. First example he used was Bryan, who he called a lethal submission machine or something (which he can be).

I initially enjoyed his thing with Kane, but enough is enough. I almost forget how good Bryan actually is whenever I watch one of his classic ROH matches. Several of them rival the more memorable in-ring WWE work from guys like HBK or Bret Hart. . .

I should watch some of Brian Danielson's stuff online. Been meaning to for a while... I doubt Daniel Bryan will leave the comedic side even if Hell No breaks up. He's referring to himself as "The Dazzler" so I would think he'd try to push that more when he is a singles competitor. He stated somewhere before that straight wrestling can get boring all the time so they need to mix entertainment in or something like that. It was when his Yes chant started catching on. I see him going the route of Kurt Angle. Part comedic, part wrestling machine with the pendulum swinging back and forth when needed. And I love Samoa Joe. My favorite person to watch on TNA. He is really good. I kind of wish he'd be in WWE, but then they might make him dance in a thong or something...

Speaking of teams breaking up, on Smackdown, I was kind of surprised that Rhodes Scholars broke up so soon. They just ended in a fizzle by telling Booker and Teddy they mutually agreed to dissolve or whatever. Not a surprise but I expected it after Wrestlemania. I guess they were just a transitional feeder team for Hell No. Next feeder team is Mysterio/Sin Cara. I can see opening Wrestlemania match be those two teams with Bryan wearing a goat mask during the build up to fit in.

I don't think he should lose the comedy all together, but he does need that opportunity to turn on the wrestling in the ring. I don't see much of it now, which means he's far from where Kurt Angle was. If you want to see a great ROH match with him, see the singles match he had with KENTA from Glory by Honor. Unbelievable. If you are familiar with TNA, he had classic matches with Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Austin Aries, and a litany of others. He was IWGP Jr. tag team champion with Curry Man (aka Christopher Daniels). I was also surprised about Rhodes Scholars, but think it is for the best as those two guys are so good that they should have singles attention. Same thing for Bryan IMO, though I do like seeing solid tag teams from time to time (reminds me of the golden age of tag teams in the mid-late '80s in the WWF).

Here's another match the two had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXflTy9weQ

Edited by karamazov80

I agree with you guys about Bryan. The good news, I think, is that his spot is secure, in that he's shown that he has more dimension to him then being "just" a great wrestler (it sure hasn't helped Tyson Kidd). And I think that they can literally just flip a switch with him and make him a serious character again, that's how over he is. Thankfully, he hasn't hit Santino territory.. yet.

I totally missed Raw last week. I've read a few reviews that said it was great, and a few that said it was terrible. Worth watching? They put it up on Hulu now, so it's easy to catch up on. I'll probably at least watch the Punk/Jericho match.

It's been a couple of days and there's only 2 things I remember from Raw. First was Punk/Jericho being a great match. Next was Brock Lesnar giving Miz a bigger butt whooping than I expected. I was kind of scared for Miz at a couple of moments. Either way, sit back and enjoy the Punk/Jericho main event.

Somehow I caught the Brock segment but missed the main event! Will need to investigate this Hulu thing you speak of. I actually thought Brock could have done a lot worse to the Miz. Essentially all he did was toss him out the ring, throw a chair at him, then did the F5. The elbow breaker submission thing seems a lot more brutal. But he totally demolished Miz, which I am sad to say that I kinda enjoyed.

Punk/Jericho match was excellent. I was impressed that Jericho wasn't as gassed as I thought he'd be with his time away (unlike the Rock).

Yeah I saw the rumble...should have mentioned that fact as well. I was surprised he made it that far. Still bummed that Cena won it. Ugh.

What's funny about the Rumble is how the live audience totally dies once the match comes down to Sheamus, Rybeck, and Cena. It's like you can almost hear the collective "aw f**k" of everyone in the building that's hit puberty.

Jericho and Punk have great chemistry together. I know that their feud didn't live up to expectations last year, but the two matches were excellent (I still contend that their WM match was the best on the card). I'm surprised that Jericho lost cleanly, as I don't think it's a good idea to have a returning star go down in his first singles match, but that's what Jericho does. He puts guys over, and Punk certainly needed a good win.

I do have to check out Lesnar taking out the Miz. The latter's face turn has to be one of the worst ever, particularly as it came at the same time as Del Rio's, which has been much more successful, so the two will always be judged against each other. I don't really know what they were thinking, since it's not like Miz was so over it only made sense to turn him face (like Randy Orton a few years ago). Miz is now in danger of being the guy that heels squash to make a point, not really a good spot for a babyface to occupy.