UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How far will you go for a Grail?

Lobsterman

I think personal saving would be the better one, less risk surely, whilst i have many e-friends i can talk to on a regular basis, and i've no doubt experienced some tremendous generosity in the past, there are always a few bad eggs or sour collectors who will look to cash in. That's not me being negative, just stating a fact and being realistic. I would always say personal saving, even at $5 a week or whatever would eventually get you to your target. :)

Rich

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, hey with all the death and dying going on the last two weeks, I forgot to tell you guys... I got one of my personal Grails as a late Christmas present- A Gru's ashes laden copy of the Squadron Supreme trade paperback. My brother scored me a copy on a trip to New York. Yeah, sure, it's a little weird, having a dead guy mixed into comic he wrote. But I loved the story since it's original monthly release and am a big fan of Gruenwald as a writer and editor. Very happy.

(and don't worry, moc, I don't know what Dr.k80 is talking about half the time)

oh jesus what have i done.

It's okay, it's okay... I'll just pretend like it's... a really bad... speeding ticket. And then not get any speeding tickets, ever.

*Passes paper bag*

It's okay buddy. Take a long bath, try to go to sleep, and the terrorizing feeling in your stomach will abate slightly in the morning. Human bodies are wonderful at coping. You'll go into shock soon.

Just... never go over your limit again.

(and don't worry, moc, I don't know what Dr.k80 is talking about half the time)

Deep in the recesses of that dark part of your mind that you don't like to think about very much. . .I fear you understand all too well.

Just... never go over your limit again.

:nono:

Well, it was well over my "ha ha okay that's probably too much" number, a bit further past my "you have to be effing kidding me" number, but, I'm happy to report, stopped short of my "you need to stop and get some professional help for this thing you're doing" number.

I'll post pics when it arrives. :)

Huzzah!

I kinda had a feeling my motivational ''addiction leads more than logic'' post would suffice :lol:

I'm right though aren't I? If we're going to be sensible about our addictions we might as well pack up and go home lol. Congratualtions Lobsterman. I'm actually intrigued to see what it is you spent your $$ on!

Rich

Up until recently, there've only been two grails on my list: the Muppets Backstage Theater and Jim Henson figure from the Palisades line (now you all know what to get me for my birthday).

I've got a friend who's got the whole set and the theater displayed, and it's really one of the coolest toys I've ever seen. Such a shame about Palisades. I would have REALLY loved an Ernie action figure... sigh.

I've never gone too far for a grail; I've had enough good luck in finding things for a good price, and enough bad luck in overpaying for something I found for a better price later, that I've conditioned myself to not be impulsive. My only real Grail right now is the Raphael from NECA's TMNT line, but I'm more pissed off about that then anything, since I had several chances to buy him for regular price but didn't, because I didn't think one Turtle would be rarer then the others. :verymad: At this point I'm more likely to sell the other three then overpay for the one I don't have.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanna know the story on those two little guys too!

As far as grailing, I used to have pretty decent luck when I was collecting Marvel Legends. I found Spidey Classics Yellow DD at a KB toys one sunday morning that I snuck away from work to go toy shopping. And a few years later I found Legends Dark Phoenix at the same location.

I just remembered, the Japanese exclusive Black Mandarin Spawn was a grail for me for a very very long time. I eventually bought it on ebay, but now it sits in a box, waiting for the day to be displayed again.

Wow. Having seen what you paid for them I'm pretty amazed at what they went for. I remember seeing individual ones go for about $100+ each last year and couldn't believe they went that high. I have to say I'm a little jealous as I know these will never be in my collection. It's just a shame they never made it to production.

Congrats!

Yeah, GH, I couldn't believe they went that high, either, and now I'm kicking myself for not going all in back when they were at that "bargain price." Since they were originally not-really-released in 2009, I've seen them on ebay maybe three or four times. I've asked dealers about the set at Comic Con, and they just sort of politely smile.

The basic story is, the Heroes spin-off lines (GI Joe Combat Heroes and TF Robot Heroes) failed to catch on like Super Hero Squad and sputtered through a few waves before being refocused from the classic cartoon characters to focus on the movies coming out around the same time. The final wave of cartoon-themed Robot Heroes included my favorite G1 character, Prowl, so it was a double nut punch when that wave got shelved in favor of the crappy movie-style RH figures, which ended up selling terribly. I saw a couple sets trickle out on ebay at the time and figured Hasbro would eventually release the produced sets on their site, as they sometimes do, so I sat on my hands. They didn't, and it quickly became obvious those sets would be a rare commodity.

Anyone who has had their heart broken by Hasbro lines (Stikfas, Xevoz, SHS, etc...) knows they are notorious for announcing and showing prototypes for a new wave of the line, and even going as far as producing some limited quantity of them, then spiking the line, leaving collectors scrambling to scoop up those last produced figures from wherever in the wild they end up. I've actually had to do this a few times: I engineered a shady-seeming but ultimately successful importation from a random dealer in Singapore of the last wave of Xevoz, when it looked like they weren't going to be released (they ultimately were, in a limited quantity, through Hasbro's website); I made friends with a dealer in Canada to get the last wave of Combat Heroes, which were also a very limited release (and I probably paid too much for those, too).

So, yeah. Moral of the story: eff you Hasbro.

I made friends with a dealer in Canada to get the last wave of Combat Heroes, which were also a very limited release (and I probably paid too much for those, too).

You should have asked here-minijeff hooked me up with a set of these.

I'll agree with all of the points you made except for the TF movie line being crappy. The whole line was crappy, except for Dispensor, the Transformer that shot out cans of Mountain Dew. Other than that, the line sucked and ruined any chance of more product seeing the light of day. I guess when you have as much money and influence as Hasbro, you can afford to start small production runs and then end them despite people still wanting the product.