UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

More civilian/supporting cast minimates please

Mirymate

There is no in story explanation for where the mustache goes. I don't remember an attempt even being made to really explain it. The Meta reason? Ross was always intended to be Rulk, but if Rulk had Ross' distinctive broom mustache, well then there's no mystery about who Rulk really was, and they couldn't have drug that story out like they did. Someday, should continuity come back in fashion, and should comics last that long, someone will explain all the rules Loeb broke with Rulk. He lifted Thor's hammer for goodness sake, and flew with the moon with it. He controlled the Surfer's board. Compared to those feats, all made in an effort to make him seem that much more powerful than Hulk, a little disappearing mustache is nothing.

And in keeping with the worst 90's tradition, Rulk is now a hero by reason of fan popularity. He's even an Avenger now. Sure Rulk brutally murdered a man, but hey they let Wolverine in, and he's brutally killed lots of people. They even let Ares in for crying out loud and he'd tried to kill all of them several times. Standards have clearly fallen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no in story explanation for where the mustache goes. I don't remember an attempt even being made to really explain it. The Meta reason? Ross was always intended to be Rulk, but if Rulk had Ross' distinctive broom mustache, well then there's no mystery about who Rulk really was, and they couldn't have drug that story out like they did. Someday, should continuity come back in fashion, and should comics last that long, someone will explain all the rules Loeb broke with Rulk. He lifted Thor's hammer for goodness sake, and flew with the moon with it. He controlled the Surfer's board. Compared to those feats, all made in an effort to make him seem that much more powerful than Hulk, a little disappearing mustache is nothing.

And in keeping with the worst 90's tradition, Rulk is now a hero by reason of fan popularity. He's even an Avenger now. Sure Rulk brutally murdered a man, but hey they let Wolverine in, and he's brutally killed lots of people. They even let Ares in for crying out loud and he'd tried to kill all of them several times. Standards have clearly fallen.

Loeb's work is just... so, so bad. His TV chops are so evident, in that he's got big ideas, and you can tell why he gets to work with such top-tier artists, because he gives them fun things to draw, but the comics are horrible. And let me just go on record as saying I'm not one of those johnny-come-lately Loeb haters; I thought Superman/Batman was just a high concept mess, and even Long Halloween is very empty. I did like his Challengers of the Unknown, though.

Liked his Long Halloween and Dark Victory. Mostly for continuing the feel of Miller's Year One stories than any bold ideas of his own. Everything else has been spotty at best, headache inducing at worst.

Hellpop is correct, we have plenty of parts to create our own QC's of supporting characters.

Here are the Nelson & Murdock team I put together a while ago, along with Ben Urich!

nelsonmurdock.jpg

I swapped that Foggy head with this Ray Stanz head, but I just never took a new picture.

benurich2.jpg

Oh my God, I love that Foggy Nelson! There's no way DST could do a better job capturing the lovable shlub. Quick, put that head back on, now!

The only part I don't recognize is the body that Karen Page has. Who's is that from? Some 24 character I may have missed getting? These look AWESOME!

Would LOVE the Val Cooper in power suit & x-factor uniform with guns - but i'm reasonably sure that getting TWO Val Coopers before a Falcon/Winter Soldier/Toad/Kang minimate would cause something of an upset for a lot of boardies.

(not for me :P but i sense i'd be in the minority)

EDIT: I'm sure i'll sound like the a-hole in the minority here, but I can not tell you how much i DO NOT want a Stan Lee minimate. I'm pretty happy with getting 616 civilian minimates in a line, but i have no need for a Stan Lee in my collection. I get the he IS marvel, but he has his name on enough stuff already for everyone on the entire planet to know who he is and what he's responsible for. There are children in Uganda who don't know what the Coca-Cola logo looks like, but who know that Stan Lee made marvel!

I could live with just the X-Factor Uniform Cooper and then QC her "Office/Freedom Force" versions.

Stan Lee:

I completely agree with you. With every movie line I expect to find him bumping a much more important character. For that matter I'm surprised that a Stan Lee figure isn't required in the license of each and every Marvel Movie line. The only way I'd pick up a mate of him is if it has a reversible head with the second look being a dead zombie with bullet hole in forehead. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him, it's just that when a creator is better known than his creations it's just a bit too much.

Most people are happy with just one definitive version of their favourite characters & whilst I've enjoyed some of the suggestions in this fun thread I hope we haven't encouraged further civilian Minimates. I guess we all agree on what a civilian Minimate is .....basically a Minimate with a head (perhaps hair) with a visual likeness to a character we recognise ? I promised not to continue griping about Wave 33 but the logic of that wave is all over the place ........three of the proposed characters could have been achieved with three heads whilst the SHIELD guy army builders will probably have their heads pulled off instantly & replaced . All the female Minimate characters that have skirts make them look like that they belong to the generic fat-ass club & I doubt whether the W33 girls will be any different.

My point? Civilian Minimates are always a waste of space despite the extensive list of civilian Marvel Minimates that are actually variants :rolleyes:

DST aren't oblivious to this & I would guess that the MAX line would have crashed into obscurity if DST had included bland civilians which of course they have avoided like the plague .

A few proper Marvel civilian characters will always be welcome but I'm not sure that 3 in a wave is healthy.

I agree that three seems awfully excessive, considering the civilians outnumber the one villain in that wave and equal the heroes (DD, Spidey, SHIELD.) Considering we normally aren't even lucky enough to get three villains to match the three heroes in a wave, three civilians just seems like too many for one wave. They look good, I just question the logic when we've previously been told that characters like Baron Zemo have never been considered but we now have Aunt May and our second (!?) JJJ.

I'm pretty sure they've said before that they'd have to acquire separate rights for Stan's likeness, I don't see it happening.

As in that retread thread a little while back, I just can't see our wishlisting suddenly influencing DST one way or the other. It certainly never has in the past.

Edited by battlecat

JJJ and May are semi-uniquic cases. They are better known to the general public than most of the heroes and villains in Marvel. They've been included in other lines before so its not unprecidented that they should show up again. (and I must be the only guy here who didn't consider that Chameleon with JJJ disguise a JJJ minimate because you folks keep calling this one a redo) Which makes it odd that they're in an LCS wave.

I agree they're well known, I don't dispute that at all. My eyebrow goes up though when I compare them to other characters that Chuck says don't have wide appeal or that have never been considered. I freely admit that JJJ and May are well known, but no one, and I mean no one, is going to pick them up as casual buyers. You have to be very devoted to a line to purchase characters like them, so I agree they have name recognition, I don't find them to be impulse buys, which Chuck claims is necessary for "new and old fans," but I don't see this wave appealing to anyone but long term fans. I don't mind that, I wish they would show this kind of committment more often to more obscure heroes and villains, I just think it makes some of their logic for not making other characters seem very hollow.

I would like to say that I'd be okay with the civilian being the variant. 3 in a wave, not too happy in general, but I can give this wave an exception due to JJJ with newspaper accessory, Aunt May with hopefully some accessory (wheatcakes? frying pan?), and the obscure Jean (she's obscure to me) as the variant. To be honest, I thought she was some French dude. But please, no Wolverine Origins type waves ever again.

The only part I don't recognize is the body that Karen Page has. Who's is that from? Some 24 character I may have missed getting? These look AWESOME!

Ellen, I think, from one of the TRU BSG waves.

I still maintain that the two problems with W:O were 1) there were no costumes in that movie, but more importantly, 2) too much Wolverine.

I hear what you're saying, Valo. And similar sentiments have been floating around since the Winter Soldier dismissal. But not that I'm advocating being rude to the man next chat by any stretch of the imagination, but it sounds like several of us need to just take it up with Chuck directly (politely, and professionally) next chat. No not at the next Con unless you can get a chance at a one-on-one conversation cause ambushing people in public is never cool. But there seems to be a building resentment on this board toward DST that is starting (only starting mind you) to mirror the Transfans-Hasbro relationship. Maybe it's a case of a rose colored rear view mirror, but I don't remember it being here before and frankly it concerns me.

YMMV

I agree they're well known, I don't dispute that at all. My eyebrow goes up though when I compare them to other characters that Chuck says don't have wide appeal or that have never been considered. I freely admit that JJJ and May are well known, but no one, and I mean no one, is going to pick them up as casual buyers. You have to be very devoted to a line to purchase characters like them, so I agree they have name recognition, I don't find them to be impulse buys, which Chuck claims is necessary for "new and old fans," but I don't see this wave appealing to anyone but long term fans. I don't mind that, I wish they would show this kind of committment more often to more obscure heroes and villains, I just think it makes some of their logic for not making other characters seem very hollow.

Honestly you would be suprised....

I don't feel angry about it, I just think it's absurd. And the contradictions are getting a bit old. I wish they would just be honest at times. Instead of giving us that ridiculous explanation for not making the Winter Soldier at the best possible opportunity, when he and Falcon and Zemo have all been much anticipated we all believed we'd get our chance when the Captain America movie came out, and not only do they not get made but we then get a line of nonsense that since he's dead he won't be made, when that hasn't ever stopped them before. It feels like they're punishing us for their mistakes, and their explanations are frankly disingenuous. At this point I wish they would just do a "Fans shut up" wave, because after they knock out about a dozen characters I would have no legitimate complaints about vital characters missing, and everything we get after would just be a bonus.

The tease specificly was a picture of a red Star like on WS's bionic arm and askes the question "What if there was more than one?" May be the return of Bucky, may be the return of Bucky as WS, may be a whole other WS. Which on some level would just be mean to make a Winter Soldier mate that wasn't Bucky.