UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ridley Scott to direct a new 'Blade Runner' film!

youbastards

says page not found for me

is this a remake? I know Hollywood pricks have completely run out of ideas, but Bladerunner is essentially a perfect film... it sound never be remade.

Some things just need to be left alone.

I'm not happy Bob. Not. Happy.

The best thing to come of this would be to get classic minimates of the first movie's characters. Seriously I know movies may need a prequel or a sequel. This does not. Even if Scott made the first one I don't think he should mess with a good thing too much. We have the definitive edition. We don't need more than this.

LEAVE THINGS THE F**K ALONE HOLLYWOOD! I mean there are some things that should be made. I'm all for that Lone Ranger movie they just cancelled (seriously 200 million+ for a western? The hell you talking about Verbinski?), but Blade Runner should just stay as is.

I remember seeing this film when it first came out & I've still never understood what all the fuss was about? I watched it again years later..re-cut,re-mastered ,re-voiced over re blah directors blah blah cut blah de bloody blah. I imported it on Blu-Ray http://www.itcamefromjapan.com/Medicom-Blade-Runner-Collectors-Box-with-Blu-Ray-and-Spinner-Car_p_27.html recently from JAPAN purely to get the Spinner Car( again ,I have the BTTF Future Car..... a long story) so I watched it again & I still don't get what the fuss is about.

What amazes me (seriously) is that most of you guys must have seen it for the first time when it was 20 years old & you apparently love it.

Why? :huh:

I remember the first time I saw this movie, I was probably 5 or 6 years old, and didn't understand a moment of what it was about, but Han Solo was in it, so it was cool. My brother is 10 years older than me, and he exposed me to all kinds of movies/books/tv/comics etc before I technically should have experienced it. To this day, most of my fond memories of a lot of movies have little to do with the content, and more to do with the context. Time Bandits and Alien were other films that I was exposed to long before I could grasp or comprehend what I was actually seeing. I'll never forget when "James Bond" showed up out of the blue in Time Bandits... :thumbsup:

Blade Runner is a movie I enjoy strictly for the images on the screen. It is such a visually stunning movie, that the plot has always taken a back seat to the visuals for me. At it's heart, Blade Runner is little more than a classic Film Noir, but the dark and dirty futuristic Film Noir had never been done before, and Blade Runner is largely responsible for a lot of the Anime, comics, and films that came after it.

My brother was just in town this past weekend, and he has a 9 year old son. We talked about all of the movies that he hasn't seen yet that I had at his age (Jaws, Alien, Blade Runner, Dark Crystal, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, etc) and it will really be interesting to see when he is finally exposed to these things if he will have the same type of attachment that I do.

I want my daughter, Ripley, to have the same type of attachment to these films as I do, and I hope she is ready to see Alien at a young age like I was, because the wait is excruciating!

that is a big question Rob, and not one I could answer now, having had a lot to drink during this evening's football. I can, however, confirm that I hadn't seen it before 2010 (which is nearly 30 years after it came out), and it is one of my father's favourite films of all time (with all due respect, I think he is younger than you as well).

oh, and now we're discussing nostalgia and Alien, I remember my parents making me a 'safe cut' of Alien when I was very young, as I was desperate to see it, but they didn't deem it acceptable for a eight (ish) year old.

... it was very short, and nothing happened.

heh, nearly(ish)

I was at uni up in Staffordshire, and now keep a big eye out for them, but I'm a Londoner 'born and bred', and a huge Tottenham fan. We beat Hearts 5-0 which isn't a huge achievement in all honesty, but it turned out to be the first game of the season, which our game against Everton cancelled due to the riots.

I've not had that much, but having a day off tomorrow I don't plan on stopping just yet, so can't in all honesty say I'd be giving Blade Runner a fair account just now.

My first thought is... hmmm... a big name director revisting his classic, prehaps his best known, sci fi movie. Yeah last time that happened, it ended so well. I'm looking at you, Mr. Lucas.

Secondly... Blade runner was set in the far off future of 2019. 2019. You science guys need to get working harder on my flying cars and sex slave androids. Chop chop. Barely 8 years left!!

@ YouBastards: My parents were pretty strict about what i was allowed to watch. Up till the age of 14, Ghostbusters was the scariest movie i had been allowed to see.

On my 14th birthday, as a special treat, my parents bought me a copy of Alien on VHS. It terrified me. It excited me. It has stayed in my top 5 films of all time ever since. I'm really glad they made me wait till i was old enough to enjoy it and understand it.

however - i watched Dark Crystal almost everyday of my life between the ages of 2 & 5. And then at least several times a year since. I can not say i 'waited' on this one... and as i grew up, i grew to love the film and appreciate it even more.

I was horrified to hear that this one might be getting a sequel too soon <_<

I didn't watch BladeRunner until i was in uni (21). It's one of the few lecture presentations i didn't fall asleep in. It actually made my eyes start to well up at one point. I had never felt so sympathetic towards the antagonist in a film before.

This was the directors cut. No internal monologue. No happy ending. it was wonderful.

I don't know if i'd call it 'perfect'... but it was pretty darn good. The technology was good enough at the time to tell the story the way it needed to be told. The actors were well cast. I don't think it could be done much better.

Hollywood - let it stay that way. Please.

I read Phillip K. Dicks "Do androids dream of electric sheep" when I was very young maybe a couple of years before the release of the movie. I was also very much(still am) a sci-fi / movie buff and had to convince my father to drive me almost an hour and a half away to see this in the theater (a double feature with Clint Eastwoods "Firefox") I was struck silent by the visuals that appeared on the screen. After many years of repeated viewings (I'm 40 something now) I'm still struck by the visuals, I also think the film is well written and while not a direct adaptation of the book it does capture the feel and theme very nicely. Since Blade Runner was released there have been 2 (that I know of) sequels written to the movie (not the book) both are slightly lack luster. How ever I could get on board with a Scott prequel that chronicles Roy and companys coming together and escape to earth that might be hella cool. we shall see.