UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

London's Burning

dj87

for those of you who don't know, over here in London we've had a number or 'protest' and riots over the last 3 days or so, which has resulted in a number of towns being attacked, with locals businesses burnt down or smashed up and looted.

It's ridiculous, and has (for me at least) become far too close to home. There have been huge fires and attacks on towns surrounding mine, from Central to South London, and its a problem that is only escalating.

Tonight, my local police station (across the road from my house) looks ready for war, and all I've heard all night are sirens. It hasn't 'kicked off' here just yet though, and I'm very grateful.

Everyone here in the UK must know what is going on, but figured there may be some of you over the pond who may be interested. I'm not sure if this link will work outside the country, but those interested can follow events here...

BBC News - London Riots

anyone else over here been affected by this?

I've heard mixed reports regarding causes for the riots. Some say it's unhappiness with the austerity measures implemented by the government, others say it's just an unusually widespread and organized rash of hoodlums causing trouble. Any thoughts personally? Does what you've seen (hopefully form a safe distance) seem political in nature, or just thugs trying to loot and the situation snowballing?

Edited by Lobsterman

Still relatively quiet around here, sounds like most of tonight's trouble in coming to an end.

It seemed to start with the shooting of a man in the Tottenham area. He was killed by police, who themselves believed he had opened fire on them. It now seems they made a mistake, and he may not even have been armed. The first riots broke out during peaceful protest on Saturday, as the familes/friends/community stood outside the police station looking answers. It wasn't long before opportunists used this and an excuse to fight, loot, attack police, etc. Those involved in the initial demonstration have all come out and condemned what has occurred during the last few days.

It seems to have spread from there, and as you say Lobster, that combined with people frustrated at the country/government, or just looking for any excuse to destroy things. It's sad, it really is, local businesses and homes have been destroyed for nothing, these people are making no effort to 'aim' their frustrations.

There is really no idea how long this will go on, and there is no real pattern to the places being attacked (other than being large towns with high unemployment).

You're right winker, Birmingham looks a mess tonight as well.

I should point out, the police have stated the man who was shot and killed was a suspected drug dealer and local leader. His family and members of the community have denied this, saying he had no involvement in gangs, and have even suggested the police carried out a point blank execution without reason.

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Brings back memories of the Toxteth Riots which happened in Liverpool in the early 80's.

Not knowing the full info on the cause of the trouble now I wont comment but I do think there is alot of underlying tension in the country right now with the recession, unemployment etc and this is just a way of it coming to a head.

These are frustrating times, but violence is rarely the answer. It's a shame to hear this is going on especially if it's political frustrations- like you said, local residents and local businesses are likely to most feel the impact. Stay safe over there, gang. Hopefully this level of violence will blow over soon.

I was brought up on a council estate (public housing..project)& know a little bit about social deprivation & discrimination . Many of my friends saw time in prison & it is probably by sheer luck that I never did but I'll tell you this .....you never shit on your own doorstep . I am totally disinterested in who did what to who & if the police f*cked up then I understand some sort of retribution ,although I stress I don't condone it . What makes me sick is that these w*nkers are destroying their own communities . Everybody is pissed off with what is going on in this country but this ain't helping anybody.

I will never, ever understand this kind of crap-in-your-own-cash box mentality. Anger, rage, and a burning need to strike back, these I understand. Stealing from your neighbors, burning down your own neighborhood, and generally pillaging people who had nothing to do with what you're allegedly angry about, this I simply do not understand. I'm just glad to know that so far you guys are safe and pray you will continue to remain that way until this madness is done.

Our news coverage is pretty good on it, I guess, so I'm worried about you folks over there. The pics and videos - like this here - remind me a little bit of the riots in Paris in 2005, where cars, busses and public buildings were burning. Back then those riots went on for weeks. I really hope that's not the case this time.

I think using social networks to organize themself, at least some of those people are copying what happened in Egypt and the other states, but for very different reasons - and in some case non at all, I fear.

I'll try & avoid being an armchair general ,living in a quiet area in the countryside isn't quite like being in the front line in a city .

TV coverage isn't too helpful because the majority of the footage that I've seen tends to show that most of the perps have a common denominator ,I have to be careful by not clarifying what that common denominator is . Those people here that have gotten to know me know that I haven't a bigotted bone in my body & whilst I don't trust the media ,I trust my eyes . Unfortunately until someone innocent dies...& they will....this will continue to get worse . Once the fatalities occur we'll have the backlash which usually involves the favourite British method of using a hammer to crack a nut which may involve the army & that will play right into the hands of the real organisers of these events.

There's something badly wrong with this country & the mere fact that I can't say what I want to say without offending anyone is part of the problem.

its pretty much felt like a ghost town here today, a lot of people have been told not to come into work, and pretty much every shop in the local area has been closed all day, with shutters down, some even boarded up and makeshift barricades. Our heroic PM and Mayor have heroically ended their respective holidays early to come and nod their heads, insisting everything is under control. Watching them being interviewed, no one seems to have any idea what to do.

interestingly... they did set up something they're calling COBRA. I don't know much about it, but that's pretty unnerving in itself.

I've been wondering around for 30mins just trying to find somewhere I could get some dinner... so tonight its back to watching the news, perhaps a little painting, whilst feasting on a beer and sushi banquet.

Oh, and there was at least one death last night, a man in a car was shot whilst driving through Croydon.

Okay, wait... the rioters are calling themselves Cobra or the government setting something called Cobra?

I've been worried about all y'all. Surely this is a shadow of darkness that has enveloped the people of England, slowly spreading across the world.

I've often wondered what it would take to get America to riot. We haven't had a serious riot in my lifetime, and never one that called for government action. The Watts Riots in California, and the Chicago riots in 1960 are the only two I know of.

Strange, this was all fired off by a police shooting. Is that uncommon over there? We have at least 2 police shootings here every day. But almost always it's the suspect who obviously shot first. Never any riots even when it's clearly police brutality.

You may have heard of the Rodney King case? Back in 1992, after several LA policemen were aquitted in a case of alleged police brutality caught on tape. So in response the people of LA did about a billion dollars of damages to their city, killed 53 people and injured over 2000 others over the course of 6 days. Insanity at its best. It lead to the quote from Mr. King, the man at the center of the storm, "Can't we all just get along?"

thanks Rob, I do feel a little silly for not knowing that now. It has however, removed all the mystique from D-Cam and his sinister associates.

Dino - it is very uncommon for a police shooting over here, it rarely happens, and almost never without 'justification'. I realise that's a vague term open to debate and interpretation, but its almost irrelevant here, as this shooting was used as no more than an excuse for getting hold of a new pair of Reebok Classics.

Some kids can't be reasoned with, some kids just want to watch the world burn.

Cabinet Office Briefing Room 'A' ...the Cabinet is the inner circle of our Government .

Ah. Makes since.

Not trying to make light of the pickle you're in, but somehow it would been cooler if the rioters were called Cobra.

Oh and according to the American press, you've got vigilantes taking to the streets as well tonight.

Oh and according to the American press, you've got vigilantes taking to the streets as well tonight.

that's was just some guy going to the takeaway in a punisher t-shirt.

In all seriousness I think local people that are fed up with this are coming out to stand up to the thugs/looters

I've often wondered what it would take to get America to riot.

DST offering a once-in-a-lifetime numbered promo packaging give-away limited to 250 in the world at SDCC 2011?

Don't worry folks I'm an ex-printer & I know how things work :rolleyes:http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-SDCC-Pirate-Mini-Mates-COMPLETE-Set-not-numbered-/140590272897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bbd55181

It also works with dollar bills*..... but not as well as it used to :unsure: :sad:

You can fool some of the people some of the time ...........blah blah bloody blah.

*British pounds,Euros,etc.etc.etc.