UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I'm home!

Turtle

I mentioned it way back in another thread, but in early April, Memphis was rocked by some pretty rough storms causing some trees to fall and crush half of my house. We spent a couple weeks living in a hotel then a couple months living in a rental house while we worked things out with insurance and the contractors were doing their thing. Finally, it's all (nearly) over. We spent this weekend moving back in. Saturday morning, waking up in my house, in my own bedroom, was AMAZING. My son Max spent the weekend at his grandmom's while my wife and I unpacked and got everything set up, so he didn't sleep at home until last night. This morning was probably one of the most subtly happy moments of my life. Max woke up thrilled to be in his room and had a blast running around the house. Bliss.

Aside from finally being back home, there was a lot of good that came out of this. A couple of things we had been planning to do finally got done- most notably the brand new kitchen and the freshly redone hardwood floors throughout the house. Of course, insurance made sure there were plenty of uphill battles, and it definitely could have been a little easier on us. Thankfully, the contractors were awesome and did a great job. The bad news is that my beautiful flower garden hasn't gotten the love it needs for the last three months. Also, even though a new AC unit was installed, the house ain't nearly as cool as it needs to be. Granted, that could be in large part due to the ridiculous heat we've been having combined with the fact that three of the massive trees that used to shade my house are no longer around.

This also means that while a lot of my free time and extra spending were being used dealing with this stuff and replacing necessary items, now that we're just about back to normal, I can get back with a little more frequent toy shopping. :thumbsup:

Anyway, it's good to be back home, and this is definitely a great start to the week. I hope you all are off to a wonderful start as well.

Edited by Turtle

Glad to here everything turned out okay. And that you even got an upgrade out of the deal. Bonus. Those storms paid us in the Raleigh, NC area a visit after they left you. We were personally spared, but many of our friends were not and ironically most of them just started moving back in this past weekend too. Seriously glad you're home.

Thanks, guys. It was beyond intense relief. I woke this morning feeling more well rested than I have in quite a while. My MEGA RAGE is all gone. Now I'm in MEGA SERENE mode. I hope that your friends are having an easy time getting settled back in, Mirymate, and that they got some decent upgrades too.

don't underestimate those shade trees the landlord of my building cut down one of three trees that shade the building I live in and it drove the bills way up trying to cool off the upstairs. it really does make a difference. Glad to hear all is right in your world again

After dealing with annoying clients all day, my MEGA SERENITY is wearing off, and in a few minutes I've got the rush hour drive home, so I'm getting ready to rewelcome MEGA RAGE!!!. Grrrr. Yeah, those shade trees make a huge difference. I miss them. Aside from keeping the house cool, lawns are a lot easier to mow when they are fully shaded.

Glad to hear things are (mostly) back to normal. It's comforting to return home after a long day at work - i can only imagine the comfort of returning home after 3 months.

HUZZAH for Turtle! Glad you and the family are back in you own home again. Seems like it's been forever since you guys had to vacate after the storm. Any chance you're gonna post some pics on FB? Jenn and I are glad it all worked out for you and your family. :thumbsup:

I have a similar problem with the trees. This past spring we had a lot of trees cut down because they were really overgrown and didn't want them to fall on the fence or house and by doing so it seemed that the house was a lot warmer. What we have tried and seem to have helped is to get essentially black out curtains. Sure you can't look out of the windows but it does keep that pesky sunlight out.