UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

CBS Shows DST is passing on!?!

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2011/03/c2e2-dst-minimate-panel/

"CBS has talked to them about classic TV shows but no shows really grabbed Chuck."

WHAT!!??? There are MANY CBS shows that would make great mates!

STAR TREK (DST really needs to bring this one back!)

TWILIGHT ZONE - no interest? Really?

LOST IN SPACE - again, really??

Dukes of Hazzard, Airwolf, Magnum P.I., TJ Hooker, Mission Impossible, Gilligan's Island, I Love Lucy, The Munsters, etc, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shows_previously_aired_by_CBS

I can understand if the price is too much or what have you, but look at the list and tell me if *nothing* interests you.

Dukes of Hazzard, Airwolf, Magnum P.I., TJ Hooker, Mission Impossible, Gilligan's Island, I Love Lucy, The Munsters, etc, etc

They're making Munsters figures, albeit Diamond Select figures rather then minimates (which, if the Universal Monsters didn't sell very well enough I can sort of understand, maybe if the Munsters Select and Frankenstein/Dracula minimate sets sell well enough we'll get Munsters?)

also that line doesn't say they were offered a blanket license but "talked to them about Classic TV shows, none of them really grabbed Chuck", which means when they acquired the Munsters they could have offered Perry Mason, Murder She Wrote, Touched by an Angel, and the King of Queens. ALSO 'CBS shows' doesn't necessarily mean "shows aired on CBS" but could rather mean "shows produced by CBS" which means TJ Hooker for example (which aired on ABC for it's first 4 years) was never on the table.

If it WAS CBS produced shows though and they turned down a blanket license, it means they turned down the greatest license ever: FRAISER! I would have loved a Fraiser/Niles/Martin/Daphine 4-pack (and I'm not joking on that... that box set would make my day)

I agree, I'm sure there were shows that were not "on the table" in terms of availability.

I'm also surprised with the Munsters figures, car, etc that were shown, but there's no minimates.

Really, the article I linked to seems a little vague in their wording, so I am curious if any other board members were there and could elaborate?

But with the Knight Rider minimate vehicle, there seems to be a direction DST is going where it seems sprinkling in 80's properties here and there is DST's goal. In that case, there are a few listed CBS shows where a one-and-done vehicle with one figure release make sense (Airwolf, Magnum P.I.)

You're right about TJ Hooker. I didn't list a lot of shows (Peanuts specials) because I know they don't have the rights for that. But just being able to license Star Trek, Lost in Space & Twilight Zone should be enticing to DST one would assume. I know they did Trek before, but there's SO much ground left uncovered, AND next year is the 25th anniversary of STTNG.

(Oh, and Happy 80th birthday today, Mr Shatner!)

Two shows initially stood out for me in that huge list ...'The Prisoner' & 'MASH' which probably confirms that my ideas for must-have minimates are way way different to the majority here.

I then noticed the Dick Van Dyke Show :sick:

Moving on down to the 'Saturday Morning' section & things really started to get hot....The Flintstones,The Jetsons & Bugs Bunny :woot:

I imagine they weren't offered a complete list of "classic" shows. On top of that, you'd have to look at how realistic it is to produce a line of Minimates based on it. If the show is predominately every day folks wandering around, then that equals civilian Minimates. While some of us would want them for the nostalgia factor or just to fill out a crowd scene for our super heroes, I can't imagine Dick Van Dyke Minimates flying off the shelves at Toys R Us.

There's only a couple that even stand out to me, and I can't see them going beyond a character & vehicle set or a box set at most.

Still, they could always do the Golden Palace, which would net you three of the four Golden Girls (all four if Bea Arthur's guest spot allows for her to be included in the box set)

There hasn't been one thing mentioned in here that I'd buy. (Well, maybe with the exception of Golden Girls. But who wouldn't?) Trek had its time. it screwed up. It's gone. And traditionally odd ball box sets from shows and movies like that don't illicit much response. (BH Cop and Godfather, anyone?)

You know what's funny about CBS, I can't remember the last time I watched a show on that network. I only ever tune in for football broadcasts (and even then grudgingly, because I think EVERYONE on their football broadcast team is terrible) and it's always weird to see promos for shows I can't believe are still on the air. And yet it's the #1 network. Crazy.

Anyway, I'm not particularly interested in Minimates from any of these shows, save for Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (the cartoon based on Mark Schultz' Xenozoic Tales comic) and this gem that you guys somehow overlooked:

Walker%20Texas%20Ranger%20Flag.jpg

Walker.

Texas.

Ranger.

I know, it's not actually owned by CBS (remember Conan's Walker Texas Ranger lever? The easiest bit he ever did, just playing WTR clips, and probably the funniest), but a boy can dream.... :wub:

Something to take into consideration is what CBS still owns the Licensing rights too. I keep seeing Star Trek mentioned however that license belongs to Paramount. I'm not positive but I think Hanna-Barbera owns the Jetsons and Flintstones. And Bugs Bunny and all Loony Tunes are Warner Brothers.

Sure they're likely part of the same conglomerate but I'm betting licensing has to go through the individual entities and that really limits what was likely left on the table. Still, having any toyline where Chuck Norris and Jack Bauer can work together would be perfection.

• 1 month later...

Something to take into consideration is what CBS still owns the Licensing rights too. I keep seeing Star Trek mentioned however that license belongs to Paramount.

CBS and Paramount are part of a conglomerate so Star Trek should still be on the table.

Did a Google search for CBS Paramount and this was the most straight-forward one that came up:

linky

• 1 year later...

http://www.oafe.net/blog/2011/03/c2e2-dst-minimate-panel/

"CBS has talked to them about classic TV shows but no shows really grabbed Chuck."

WHAT!!??? There are MANY CBS shows that would make great mates!

STAR TREK (DST really needs to bring this one back!)

TWILIGHT ZONE - no interest? Really?

LOST IN SPACE - again, really??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shows_previously_aired_by_CBS

I can understand if the price is too much or what have you, but look at the list and tell me if *nothing* interests you.

So, I guess they finally managed to grab Chuck's interest (Thank Jeebus!)

Now, if we can only get some more Munsters minimates.It would still be cool to get a General Lee minimate vehicle :) And Star Trek is BACK baby!! Dying to see those Lost In Space minimates now.