UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Are there minimate stands?

prozac

Well if you have like maybe a TRU around, they sell these flat LEGO sheets (usually green in color) you can buy.

I don't know if you could cut them up in individual parts, but it's an idea I guess.

That's actually be kinda cool if like toys like G.I.Joe, minimates came with stands with maybe their names on them or something.

I only have about 6 minimates, but they don't stand for shit.

Yeah, you could call them a hard-nosed bunch that don't take guff from anyone. If they had noses that is.

I only have about 6 minimates, but they don't stand for shit.

Yeah, you could call them a hard-nosed bunch that don't take guff from anyone. If they had noses that is.

No nose .....so if they can't smell 'it' they can take plenty of 'it' !

Edited by buttheadsmate

Wow, this thread went into the crapper pretty quick.

I'll throw this out there for anyone's feedback (since the question was asked). I'm in the process of making custom Minimate stands and am not sure how I want to proceed. I have everything planned, all the materials, but don't know the best way to proceed. Which would be more received-single bases with a foot peg, a 'strip' with several foot pegs or an entire multi-leveled shelf with built in foot pegs? I'm planning on trying all three, but thought I'd throw the idea out there to get some feedback.

And the obligatory jab from bhm...

Well if you have like maybe a TRU around, they sell these flat LEGO sheets (usually green in color) you can buy.

I don't know if you could cut them up in individual parts, but it's an idea I guess.

I actually did this with a grey plate. I cut it into pieces to fit on the dashboard of my car. Now my Minimates can ride with me anywhere I go. It is't very hard to cut these boards, although don't expect a perfect edge.

.... but they don't stand for shit.

:D

Everything from about Wave....er....um...5 (?) had Lego compatible feet..which equates to Mega & c3 itself.

Wave 8 of the Marvel mates were the first to feature 'C3' feet.

Wow, this thread went into the crapper pretty quick.

I'll throw this out there for anyone's feedback (since the question was asked). I'm in the process of making custom Minimate stands and am not sure how I want to proceed. I have everything planned, all the materials, but don't know the best way to proceed. Which would be more received-single bases with a foot peg, a 'strip' with several foot pegs or an entire multi-leveled shelf with built in foot pegs? I'm planning on trying all three, but thought I'd throw the idea out there to get some feedback.

I would vote for individual displays. This would allow one to adjust characters' separations more easily. I like the multi-level idea, but I would think this could be achieved by placing single stands on random spacers found round the house. I prefer styrofoam and/or cardboard. Just my two cents.

I think you start with the single figure stands, then work your way up if there's enough demand.

Here's how I made some stands for my minimates:

Circle Bases:

What you'll need:

-Easy Mode:

-1/2in Circle Rounds (obtained at your local Tap Plastic)

-Hot Glue

-a bowl of icy water

-Normal Mode:

-1/2in Circle Rounds

-A Lego plate (I used blue because for some reason it's $2 cheaper then green at TRU)

-a SHARP exacto (dull blades are dangerous!)

-a cutting mat and your parent's permission to use a blade

-your favorite insane glue

-a spray paint of your choice (I'm partial to matte black or primer, but you could use white or seafoam or safety pink depending on what works for you!)

-Hard Mode:

-everything from Normal Mode

-your favorite pourable latex

-your favorite pourable rein

-hot glue

-MORE Legos

-A disposable cookie sheet from your favorite 99 cents/Dollar storea

Okay, got your supplies? Great! Let's get started.

For easy mode, take the minimates you want to stand on the stands and drop them (or at least one of their feet) into the icy water and let them rest while the glue gun heats up, KEEP THE CIRCLE ROUNDS DRY. When the glue gun is searingly hot remove the icy C3-feet from the water DO NOT DRY and apply the glue directly too the peg-hole then slam them down onto the circle round (aim for the outer edge rather then the direct middle) hold together for 10 seconds then throw it back into the icy water. When you're done you should be able pop the feet off (the icy chill sets the glue instantly preventing it from bounding with the plastic) without it coming off the circle (if it does, just crazy glue it down) Repeat as necessary.

For those of who want a more uniform base, take a Lego base plate and cut it into as many 1x square pieces as you want. (the nice thing about a Lego base plate as opposed to a 1x Lego Square is it's flat, there's no rim under it for another piece to snap into so it's less trimming to get to lay on the base) Glue these 1x squares onto the Circle Rounds where you see fit. Now if having a clear round with a green/blue/yellow/grey peg bothers you wait until it stops raining, and take a spray paint of your choice and give it a nice good dusting.

Now if you want stands on a mass scale but would rather spend a little time then a lot of money: CASTING! Make up a couple stands using Lego pieces (I made two, one with 1 peg, one with 2) then using more legos (or the remains of your shattered Batcave, thanks faulty second floor!) build a little nest, place them on the cookie sheet and secure both nest and desk down with hot glue. Pour your favorite molding latex over the stands and let it set. Repeat this step until you have as many molds as you see fit, go ahead I'll wait.... okay now mix up a batch of your favorite pouring resin (I use EasyCast Clear) and pour away, let it set and repeat. This is a more economical way to go since after figuring in the cost of supplies ($30 for the latex, $40 for the resin if you buy the medium size) this makes your first batch of 400 stands 15 cents a piece (your next since you'd only be buying resin is 10 cents a piece) where as the 1/2in circle rounds cost 45 cents as is (plus all that lego chopping... you could loose a finger!)

I can provide photos of these things later as well as a reciepe for a stronger flight stand that can hold a heavy 2.5inch mate where the factory stands can't.