UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

psycho minimate realease?

Sadly, those were customs made by board member/moderator/business entrepreneur/all around swell guy Luke314pi.

oh ok wait itsnt luke314pi the ownder of lukes toy story?maybe he can put it on his site...

It's a one time only thing. The customs at custom con aren't mass produced or anything. The whole thing is "for show". Hard to explain :D

Sadly, those were customs made by board member/moderator/business entrepreneur/all around swell guy Luke314pi.

oh ok wait itsnt luke314pi the ownder of lukes toy story?maybe he can put it on his site...

It's a one time only thing. The customs at custom con aren't mass produced or anything. The whole thing is "for show". Hard to explain :D

ohh so its like a exclusive?

I do appreciate the interest in the set, but only one was ever made, and it is currently hanging on my wall. :)

Although I do believe a Psycho set would sell well enough to warrant a wide release. I wonder if its one of the properties that DST has already looked in to?

This is certainly the type of well loved film with iconic, recognizable characters that would make for a fine and strong selling official Minimate release, IMO.

Of course, the same could be said for Rocky III :(

Edited by karamazov80

The fine, fine craftsmanship of your set aside, Luke, I have to disagree on how well a Psycho set would sell. I'm afraid the characters in Psycho have the same "civvie mate" problem that is seemingly holding up other iconic properties, like Godfather and Beverly Hills Cop. They're recognizable characters cinematically, of course, but as toys, they're a little... plain. This comes back to the difference between what makes a good movie and what makes a good toy – and why the fans of each of these categories like the things they do.

There are an awful lot of people who like all three of these movies, but probably far fewer who like these movies and want toys of the characters in them and want those toys to be stylized brick miniatures instead of traditionally sculpted action figures. Marvel Mates' success can be attributed to the large overlap between comic collecting and toy collecting. However, movie buffs aren't nearly as passionate about collecting toys. I suspect what makes the Ghostbusters line (and, to a lesser degree, the Terminator and Man With No Name lines) so successful is that they are, for lack of a better term, "toyetic." They're not just generic-looking people with regular clothes on; they have interesting costumes, unique accessories, and play value. So, they appeal more strongly to toy collectors than the fans of the original source material.

I think there are a lot of movie properties out there that lend themselves to good, playable toys – they just tend more toward fantasy/sci-fi/action genres than dramas or more well-recognized "serious" movies. There have been many mentioned here before – The Princess Bride, Tron, Universal Monsters, etc. I think any of those could spin off pretty healthy lines of Mates for several waves/boxsets.

I do agree with Lobsterman. I totally love Luke's Psycho mates - as I do love (most :ohmy:) of his stuff - and I bet that a lot 4packs would be sold very quick on the boards, but in a wider range, I don't see them sell that well. (But in case DST ever comes up with a Psycho box set, I hope Luke gets the credit!)

I guess that I had the skeleton mother and Norman Bates in drag Minimates in mind, when I'm thinking of great, recognizable Minimates. You probably aren't going to confuse those with your generic civilians. Janet Leigh death scene could also be an excellent Minimate. There could be a tampo application representing steam around her "naughty bits," and a little mini-shower as the 4th character in the set.

Lobsterman and Bob make good points, but I feel the same way as karamazov. I think a dead Mother Bates in her rocking chair and Norman Bates with a butcher's knife and a dress would be much more visually interesting than "civilian" minimates like the Godfather ones. But still, I have to admit that I would say the same thing about the Silence of the Lambs minimates, and those didn't sell very well.

(...) and a little mini-shower as the 4th character in the set.

YES!

i second the yes!a shower "minimate"{i put brackets because usally a minimate is human toy}in a 4 pack would be awesome if they whas a minimate shower i would buy it and i would do quick repaint of lorranie from the enchantment under the sea dance 2 pack to make her into marion crane and add some blood on her and throw her in the tubso i can make her dead in the tub.