UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

First hand news from SDCC

If the awesome green croc is indeed a Battle Beast, DST would have had to license these characters from someone. I'm guessing that Takara/Tomy owns the rights but this could be a Hasbro property within the US. If that's the case, could this be a "test" market that could lead to other properties being minimated (GI Joe, MASK, Transformers, etc)?

**On a side note - could someone please remind the Underground Toys representative that the fans would really, really like Doctor Who mates?

Edited by jjwspider

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name=

**On a side note - could someone please remind the Underground Toys representative that the fans would really, really like Doctor Who mates?

Already did. They're "still thinking about it."

I also spoke for a bit with Brewer from DCD. He said they still talk with DST and are on good terms. Still no plans to recescuitate DC mates. He said the sales just weren't there to keep them going as a line. I mentioned that Mimimates in general seem to be on an upswing, selling at TRU, and he said they don't really deal with retail outlets; their focus is on specialty stores (you know, except for the lines like Watchmen and Justice that they sell at TRU...)

However, he said the possibility for box sets isn't off the table (but isn't exactly on the table, either). He did ask which characters I'd want to see in a box set. Might not be a bad idea to start emailing box set ideas to DCD...

Also, he said Blammoids weren't intended as a replacement for Minimates; they're their own thing they were already planning (and, by the way, the Cyborg blammoid looks like a transvestite robot Aretha Franklin).

So, yeah, just thought I'd rip that scab off for everyone.

Lobsterman - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What have you done?

You've given hope to the dead-horse brigade, that's what you've done! Any iota of hope for DC 'Mates can only bring more sorrow! :P

Seriously though: Thanks for the update. Hope you're all enjoying the convention!

All the DCD stuff you said.

Aww...and we just got the DC forumj moved and everything has cooled down...shame..."Everybody got yer beatin sticks??"

This may actually work. I can understand not wanting to to deal with retail; hell, Watchmen hasn't sold one Rorschach since it became available months ago. They aren't the greatest selling point. Someone needs to point out to DCD tomorrow that their fault was character selection, which in turn led to sucky sales. They should have copiedMarvel's theme waves instead of themed and rather random two-packs.

But the boxset thing sounds great; finally they are taking two initiatives in one!! They getting fan input, andideas for BOX SETS. Box sets definitely helped the other lines (what do mean "what about LoTR and SF?!?!"), and this should definitely be a wake-up call to DST. Just for a fun, here's a few:

Dark Knight :P

Bats (with Bruce under-pieces and suitjacket)

Joker

Harvey (with Two-face parts)

Gordon (with bulletproof armor pieces)

Watchmen Comic 1

Rorschach

Comedian

Ozymandias

Classic Nite Owl

Watchmen Comic 2

Dr. Manhattan

Silk Spectre 2

Nite Owl 2

Classic Silk Spectre

Batman's Rogues Gallery

Poison Ivy

Mr. Freeze

Two-face

Firefly

I see tons of profit off of this. We all need to start writing some e-mails. ;)

AND NOT MAKING "WHAT BOXSETS DO YOU WANT" THREADS!!! ;)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

On a side note, Customs delayed AFXs shipment and their Minimates won't show up until later in the week. (Friday I think?) So no Thunderbolts, Champions, or Cyberdyne sets until then. Keychains are delayed too.

If they are a no show for the con, maybe the AFX keychains will end up going to people who preordered AFX's con exclusives.

Already did. They're "still thinking about it."

Thanks for asking Lobsterman, glad to see that it's still at least being considered. Unfortunately, given the fact they can produce the Time Squad figures without licensing the MM design, I seriously doubt we'll ever see them. Who knows though, if the Godfather and Platoon mates can happen anything is a possibility.

(This is not intended to be a rip on either of these properties - just a statement that these were "off the wall" mates that got or are being created)

Aww...and we just got the DC forumj moved and everything has cooled down...shame..."Everybody got yer beatin sticks??"

This may actually work. I can understand not wanting to to deal with retail; hell, Watchmen hasn't sold one Rorschach since it became available months ago. They aren't the greatest selling point. Someone needs to point out to DCD tomorrow that their fault was character selection, which in turn led to sucky sales. They should have copiedMarvel's theme waves instead of themed and rather random two-packs.

But the boxset thing sounds great; finally they are taking two initiatives in one!! They getting fan input, andideas for BOX SETS. Box sets definitely helped the other lines (what do mean "what about LoTR and SF?!?!"), and this should definitely be a wake-up call to DST. Just for a fun, here's a few:

No! What are you doing you silly sod?! We are not encouraging this!

I hope those are Battle Beasts. I had those when I was a wee tot and I loved 'em! Man, that looks great!

The X-Factor set looks great. Not a big fan of the Wolvie movies stuff but I'm glad those of you who want them will have a chance to fill out the cast. They look good, mind you... I just dig comic based stuff more. I'll get a few for parts, prolly.

Boy oh boy, that Titanium Man is sweeeeet! My favorite Shellhead villain!

Thanks for all the info, you convention guys, you! :)

Hey hey hey, time for the SDCC Day 1 Report. :)

• Still nothing on the AFX customs issue. I was told they would probably distribute two different styles on Friday, then one each on Sat and Sun.
  • Richard Hatch is a pimp. :) The booth where he was giving out free Minimates was pushing an online geek dating service. The Minimates were just two-packs from the previously released series. They weren't SDCC specific or a new promo or anything like that.
  • Got the basic DST blank from their booth at noon. They'll probably hand out the AA version tomorrow. They included a card promoting the new www.minimates.com domain. Here's a pic, read into it what you will:

card.jpg

• Chuck was on a toy panel (AFTimes) and there were a few tidbits of information. The economy is obviously making it harder to make fringe stuff. New testing requirements hurt. Customers are getting the same product, but the new testing requirements make it more expensive. DST isn't seeing much of a bounce from the new Trek movie. It'll likely help in the future though. As we've heard before, they don't have rights to the new movie. Playmates has a finite window to produce Trek toys. DST has a five year license for their Trek and will likely extend it for another five.

You can blame Chuck for the one-per-case Bullseye/Moonstone TRU pack. TRU wants exclusives and shortpacks but it was his decision to make it one-per. But there's a logic behind it. Obviously you needed these characters to fill in the team, but they didn't think it would be enough to hold a spot in a regular comic-shop wave. So it goes to the TRU wave as an exclusive, but the TRU customer base is quite different. This pack isn't going to sell to the moms buying toys for her kids. So it ends up one-per-case.

There were actually more of that pack produced than if it were in a regular comic shop wave. I know that doesn't help if you can't find it, but they are out there.

• Minimates will never have a chase that is less than one per case, like the Marvel Legends variants.
  • Chuck likes the hunt.
  • The Mattel rep believes in the hard sell. Much eye-rolling in the audience.

You can blame Chuck for the one-per-case Bullseye/Moonstone TRU pack. TRU wants exclusives and shortpacks but it was his decision to make it one-per. But there's a logic behind it. Obviously you needed these characters to fill in the team, but they didn't think it would be enough to hold a spot in a regular comic-shop wave. So it goes to the TRU wave as an exclusive, but the TRU customer base is quite different. This pack isn't going to sell to the moms buying toys for her kids. So it ends up one-per-case.

There were actually more of that pack produced than if it were in a regular comic shop wave. I know that doesn't help if you can't find it, but they are out there.

Chuck likes the hunt.

I call bullshit on this. That may be true about the Moonstone minimate but I refuse to believe that the Bullseye one would not sell. Bullseye should have been included in the Thunderbolts boxset instead of the Venom as Spider-man as Venom as Scorpion figure. Then they can throw that Spider-man figure in a TRU exclusive with Moonstone and everybody wins. I think that it's funny that Chuck enjoys the hunt when he is not the one that has to do the hunting. I think that everyone that is still hunting that 2 pack down should shoot him an email and say thanks. Thanks for the updates Ivan you are truely great. The minimates.com website has a timer on it that will expire at Midnight EST tomorrow. Wonder what that means.

I agree with minimadman on the bullseye issue and can only see it getting worse if it goes the way it looks and X-factor Angel/Warpath is TRU only. It makes the X-factor set nearly useless if you cant get the Angel to go with it. I wonder if this will bite em in the ass when ppl dont preorder the boxset because they cant finish it off.

Chuck likes the hunt! get a grip and actually try finding them. A throwaway comment made like that can make ppl mad

I'm guessing it means that Mattel wants a sure hit or something? A guaranteed sell-out? Gah, stupid obscure insider terminologies <_<

Oh, and the minimates.com countdown timer here is 5 hours, 2 minutes and 10 seconds and counting. I'm so excited! :)

I'm guessing it means that Mattel wants a sure hit or something? A guaranteed sell-out? Gah, stupid obscure insider terminologies <_<

Oh, and the minimates.com countdown timer here is 5 hours, 2 minutes and 10 seconds and counting. I'm so excited! :)

It may be related to 'hard buy' or 'hard to find at a damned store.'

Just guessing.

Thanks Ivan.

I'm actually stung by Chuck's comments. The Bullseye/Moonstone furore has had me questioning whether I want to continue buying minimates anyway. To learn that they don't appear to be taking our frustrations on board is a bit of a blow.

...but most of my friends...

Forget Battle Beasts, to me the most shocking thing about SDCC is finding out you have friends.

Olé.

:highfive2:

damnitall, I knew you would beat me to that one groundhog! :lol:

But if they did we could give the feet to Tarantula. What's the deal anyway? They can sculpt whole new legs but they can't add spikes/claws to feet even though Sabretooth has elbow spikes?

it's not like it would be hard, just a small... thing that could plug into the c3 hole... thing.

Dark Knight :P

Bats (with Bruce under-pieces and suitjacket)

Joker

Harvey (with Two-face parts)

Gordon (with bulletproof armor pieces)

Watchmen Comic 1

Rorschach

Comedian

Ozymandias

Classic Nite Owl

Watchmen Comic 2

Dr. Manhattan

Silk Spectre 2

Nite Owl 2

Classic Silk Spectre

Batman's Rogues Gallery

Poison Ivy

Mr. Freeze

Two-face

Firefly

Stop. They are dead and continue to be dead. Brewer was most likely placating Lobsterman

Let's not turn this into a DCD dead mate thread

I'm still gonna get the X-factor box set. Shortpacking Angel won't stop me. It is really frustrating though to learn about Moonstone/BE and that Angel/Warpath will probably fall the same fate. I love the hunt too, but come on...seriously!