UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC Universe Classics

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the 2 existing runs of He-Man figures, with both containing more figures produced than probably any other figure released so far (with the exception of Skeletor), you've got to figure the market is pretty saturated with He-Men already. And that Superman mold was released in a previous 2-pack (with Braniac), in the Wal-Mart 5-pack, and as a single pack with wave 12. This is in addition to all the other Superman variants out there.

So, I don't know. I'm not sure how well this might sell, but to the casual collector who doesn't know of the new He-Man figures at all and just notices these walking down the aisle to buy his son/daughter a toy, I think it could be a big hit.

This is on TNI. I can't decide if this is a good idea or not.

Should I be proud or ashamed to say I have that comics in a longbox somewhere? Never thought I'd see action figures comemorating it though. Weird.

You should be proud MM ;) We've all got comics in boxes somewhere that show how much we've grown as a person. This was our youth man, like Superman vs Mohammad Ali, ect. I'm still not sure if I'm going to get this or not. I liked the 200x MOTU, but was never a fan of the classic stuff. I have a few of the SDCC exclusives, but plan to display those with my 200x figures.

I am also a member over at he-man.org. Can I tell you how much I hate people who feel a sense of entitlement? Yes we here tend to bitch about various things but we get over it. I bring this up because I am excited for this 2 pack and feel that it will be hard to come by solely because of scalpers. Most of the people have said it will peg warm because they don't want a slight variation on something they already have. I know I am getting it cause I am an idiot completist. I know there are many DCUC completists out there also. At 30 dollars a piece these will not be produced in high numbers and thus I will be surprised to see more than 3 in a case. Sorry just needed to ramble/ vent.

The other DCUC 2-packs run closer to $20 than $30 at Toys R Us (or have thus far). I know the He-Man figures alone cost $20 on Mattycollector, but $30 might be a bit high for a multi-pack for casual collectors.

Don't know if they would peg-warm or not if they were even $20 per pack, though. The Superman/Braniac and Batman/Clayface packs just sat there at my local TRU, despite having the most popular DC characters around and pretty cool new or hard to find villains being included.

I think a better He-Man multi-pack would have been that scene in GB2 where the kids wanted to see He-Man not Ray and Winston. And since Mattel LOVES absurd packaging it's perfect too! Ray and Winston would be posed mid-dance (never mind they can't really pose that way, they'll be forced into those poses, you don't mind warped figures if it means they look awkward in the box right?) with He-Man standing to their right in some uninspired pose. Pushing a button on the base causes a horrifyingly loud sample of Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson sining the Ghostbusters theme, only to have the kids interrupt and start chanting "HE-MAN! HE-MAN! HE-MAN!" when they get to the "who you gonna call?" section. (this sound chip will add $10 to the overall cost, and licensing the audio will add $7.50 per unit on top of that... but hey your only other option is to use your imagination or watch the DVD to get the audio so you're cool with adding $17.50 onto the cost right!)

... that said, snarky comments aside when Mattel decides they want to do a fancy ass package no matter what has to be destroyed to get it done they do it right and the He-Man Vs Superman pack is no exception if the pick in ToyFare is to be believed, nice background and dynamic posing on the two of them... it would be a must buy for me IF the stupid "DC Classics/MotU Classics" headers and "He-Man/Superman bio tags" at the bottom didn't block all the action. I get it, someone had the idea "Superman's side of the Box will be themed like a DCUC card and He-Man's side will be themed like a MotUC card!" which is well and good if they had just been place side by side in the case. But if you want to pose them mid fight, put the headers behind them at least so I can display this in box and get a nice widow around the figures so I can enjoy it like a $30 statue in tombed in crummy plastic rather then being reminded "these are two toys that will loose all coolness* if you take them out of the box, you must look at them THROUGH the box and be hampered by the box to see them."

*this is assuming you either have/don't want Supes/He-Man, if you don't have/do want well then they're cool out of the box... but otherwise this is just an excuse to sell two figures we already have AGAIN.... Hey! Maybe that means there's hope for my GB2 3-pack idea yet! Also, if the rumors are true about Mattel trying to get Thundercats look for this exact same Superman again in "Superman Vs Lion-O" next year! Complete with reprint of the insane crossover comic in which Superman beats up a bunch of cat aliens because he no-speaky-their-crazy-moon-language and they use the lamest cop-out in the Superman universe to explain WHY this happens.

I read somewhere that he will only come with the half-a-sword like the original toys came with, and that it will be bright yellow for some reason. The 2-pack Skeletor will come with the other half. Seems strange to me. He will supposedly come with his regular axe and shield, though.

I read somewhere that he will only come with the half-a-sword like the original toys came with, and that it will be bright yellow for some reason. The 2-pack Skeletor will come with the other half. Seems strange to me. He will supposedly come with his regular axe and shield, though.

That sucks. Why bright yellow? Way to go Mattel. :down:

My guess is it's a small bone thrown all the guys that already bought a He-Man online. "See it's not the same toy, his sword is yellow!" Look for overpriced "He-Man Variant Loose" auctions coming to eBay as well.

My guess is it's a small bone thrown all the guys that already bought a He-Man online. "See it's not the same toy, his sword is yellow!" Look for overpriced "He-Man Variant Loose" auctions coming to eBay as well.

Nope!!! It's actually accurate to the comic. In it, Skeletor was shwon with his "power sword," and it looked to always be glowing. The color?? Bright yellow. I'm actually proud Mattel went to such lengths to be that accurate.

Hell, it's partially translucent for the "glowing effect." :lol:

I'm actually proud Mattel went to such lengths to be that accurate.

Can't say that's a pharse I hear often.

Good to know.

I saw, like, 20 Batmen at TRU today, and literally no other single packed figure. Are they shipping whole Batman cases?

Yup. It's rdiculous; they're several reports online about it. You can guess how pissed TRU employees were unpacking those. ;)

Even more ridiculous?? He's anoither ALL-NEW Batman...:rolleyes: It's like what the Wal-Mart "Dynamic Duo" set SHOULD have; sadly i want the two-pack for Tim, but this for Modern Bats. :confused:

Thanks, Mattel. Another home-run.

Just a heads up the Skeletor v. Luthor 2 pack and the He-man v. Superman 2 pack are now in the stores.

EDIT: If anyone finds these and has no interest in the Masters figure, I would happily pay the better part of the cost for either Skeletor or He-Man.

Edited by vbpanizzi

• 3 weeks later...

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Courtesy of ToyGuru (Scott), WORLD'S GREATEST NEWS.

March 18, 2010

By Matty

DCU Fans,

Back in 2008, we released Wave 5, which was an instant success and subsequently pretty hard to find. If you missed your chance, mark May 17th on your calendar, because Wave 5 is coming back!

This release is identical to the one in 2008 − same package, same decos, not a single change to the figures. Like all our boxed sets, these are individually carded figures packed into a single box. The set has the five figures you need to build a 9” Collect and Connect™ Metallo figure. Take a look inside and you’ll find these classic characters ready to rock your collection:

•Eradicator

•Black Lightning

•Amazo

•The Riddler

•The Atom

Don’t want to miss your shot at this fan-favorite? If you’re not registered yet for emails, click here and I’ll send you a reminder. You can also follow me on Twitter where I post reminders.

−Matty

I think i love Mattel again...DEAR SWEET BABY JEZUS.

The "re-release everything until we're blue in the face" strategy is a double-edged sword for Matty, IMO. Of course, it's great for fans who just want the toys, but who don't want to pay ridiculous prices for the rarer ones. Conversely however, it sucks for those who like collecting rarities, who possibly paid a high price for those when they were rarer, and who expect that their collectibles will actually hold some value due to relatively low --edit: "supply"--.

Medicom has been acting similarly with Kubricks and RAH 1/6 scale figure recently. Personally, I tend to be of the mind that they should give the fans what they want, even if that means re-releasing previously rare figures *cough*Tarkin Kubrick and Croc Cap Naked Snake *cough* But I know that others disagree.

I do want that Atom. Insanely stupid to release a major JLA member in his most iconic outfit as a hard to find store exclusive wave, IMO.

Edited by karamazov80

^^Yeah, I caught that stuff on Twitter, which I would advice anyone to follow them there, as well as Facebook. It's a bit easier to follow and you don't have to weed through the negative mojo rantings to get news you care about. As far as folks who paid through the noise for this or any other figure, this falls more on them than Mattel or any other company. When it comes to collecting things, you should do it because you love it, not the monetary value of things. Trust me, I learned that lesson the hard way by paying too much for a Playmates Voyager. Almost ended my wife and I's relationship when we had first moved in together. I still haven't put this ship together to this day because of it :(

I do want that Atom. Insanely stupid to release a major JLA member in his most iconic outfit as a hard to find store exclusive wave, IMO.

Probably the most disappointing figure in that wave. Mainly due to the lack of belt. I mean, really?! That's where his powers come from!