UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tru 17

Nessex

Iron Man and Hulk are two of the biggest names in Marvel, I kind of wish they would be used to "anchor" lesser characters, but I'll wait and see what the announcement is.

This thumbsup.gif

I agree with this too. It seems a waste to put two heavy hitters together so much instead of using them as a vehicle to sell new characters.

Back on main topic though, that Pepper Potts looks great!!

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron Man and Hulk are two of the biggest names in Marvel, I kind of wish they would be used to "anchor" lesser characters, but I'll wait and see what the announcement is.

This thumbsup.gif

I agree with this too. It seems a waste to put two heavy hitters together so much instead of using them as a vehicle to sell new characters.

Back on main topic though, that Pepper Potts looks great!!

Unless of course it's a Hulkbuster/Hulk 2-pack…

Technically, It's a Hulk robot and Iron Man's girlfriend. :) It's not like we were looking for a place to add an obscure character nobody knew. We were looking for a way to get collectors the secondary characters they want, while guaranteeing mass appeal. These function as both. The whole wave is A-list for a reason. The time of Magma at TRU may be over. But we'll include secondaries in other places. Just saw art for a SWEET box set with no A-list characters.

Technically, It's a Hulk robot and Iron Man's girlfriend. :) It's not like we were looking for a place to add an obscure character nobody knew. We were looking for a way to get collectors the secondary characters they want, while guaranteeing mass appeal. These function as both. The whole wave is A-list for a reason. The time of Magma at TRU may be over. But we'll include secondaries in other places. Just saw art for a SWEET box set with no A-list characters.

Box set with no A List is music to my ears! Bummed about no more "Magmas" at TRU though. From what I remember, DST had a guy within TRU who loved obscure stuff and helped us get Lockjaw, Rictor, Swordsman, etc. I'm the last person who would know anything about sales, but those short packed TRU packs always immediately sold out where I live, no matter who was in them. I only saw one Air Walker Firelord set at my store. Hope you guys could reconsider/re-evaluate this.

Not sure when we're gonna solicit the box set, I'll see if we can reveal it at the NYCC panel.

"No More Magmas" isn't a strict rule, per se, but I think we're hoping to give TRU sets more help at retail. The exclusives don't automatically sell out --- there are plenty of B-list characters still on the pegs from Series 15, 12, etc. -- so you can see that the last few waves have been a little more A-list. But response from the community seems to still be positive, and as long as we still make secondary characters, I'm not sure it matters where we offer them.

Why is Magma the one getting hated on? It should be Boom-Boom and you know it!

You guys have done a really good job in using TRU to fill out some rosters and get lesser characters on the shelves, but it does look like those sets are starting to hang around. Pairings like Vindicator/Box, Firelord/Air Walker, and, yes, BOOM-BOOM/RICTOR are probably never going to appeal to more then the most hardcore Minimate and/or Marvel completest. There's got to be more of a middle ground then eliminating those types of characters altogether. Well, except Boom-Boom. You can eliminate Boom-Boom.

Honestly, I've always been a bit surprised by how obscure some of the TRU exclusives are. I certainly appreciated it, but I never really expected it to stick around.The idea of placing more of the heavy hitters in the TRU waves with some of the lower tier characters in the specialty waves, ala Wave 51/TRU 16, seems to make the most sense to me. And if the mates continue to look as cool as the ones in this wave, I honestly don't care if it's all big names.(Not that I've given up on the lesser knowns. I want my Machine Man, dang it!)

Yeah I agree with hellpop there. Some of the 2 packs at TRU have been so obscure that even as a long term marvel fan I have barely heard of them, eg the much discussed boom boom/rictor lol. But yeah, I'd have thought a middle ground with an A-lister packed with a colourful villain from their rogue's gallery should still have a good chance of selling ok at TRU? Plus there are plenty of non-A list characters not yet made who are much better known than boom boom, rictor etc.

I also agree that it doesn't matter where the secondary characters appear so long as they do somewhere. It's just that for a while the TRU waves seemed to be the likeliest place for some really unusual and unexpected figures so it's a shame that seems to be changing.

In other matters that boxset that's being mentioned sounds interesting...

To mainstream audiences, they are! And I think this assortment is pretty good middle ground. Rescue? Robot Hulk? Ultimate Electro? They're all new characters who should function like mainstream characters. But you can see that pairing idea at work in TRU18, with Thor/Absorbing Man (classic character, but little media presence) and Wolverine/Ultron Drone (soon to be a big deal, currently a gold robot).

I gave Magma as an example of a character with zero mainstream presence, and I just think that's a risky decision that no longer pays off like it used to.

Edited by DSTZach

Lesser known, yes. But I wouldn't call anybody who's served on an X-Team "obscure." Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people call anyone who's not in a movie "obscure." When I think obscure, I think forgotten golden age characters, horror magazine stuff, Ant-Man villains, etc.

Lesser known, yes. But I wouldn't call anybody who's served on an X-Team "obscure." Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine when people call anyone who's not in a movie "obscure." When I think obscure, I think forgotten golden age characters, horror magazine stuff, Ant-Man villains, etc.

Sorry, I use "obscure" as shorthand for a lot of stuff, including "minor," "forgotten," "underused" and "unpopular."

I think that, considering how many X-teams there have been and continue to be, the number of obscure X-team members continues to grow on a daily basis. Flavor-of-the-week characters don't always stick around, long-standing characters can avoid real popularity for decades, and a prolonged absence can make once-prominent characters BECOME obscure.

For instance, I would now call Maggot obscure, but I'm sure others wouldn't. Rusty and Skids. Cecilia Reyes. Beak. That pale woman who was on the X-Men for a while -- I think she was artificial or something? Obscure, albeit for various reasons.

And I don't call characters who have never been in a movie "obscure" for that reason, it's just that characters I think are obscure don't often get picked to be in movies. Or are portrayed in an largely inaccurate way, because they think nobody will care. Not trying to insult anybody's favorite character, honestly.

Zach said what I was going to say. There are PLENTY of obscure X-Men, just like there are obscure Avengers (Rage, Living Lightning...) and Justice Leaguers (Maya, Triumph...). Being a member of a team does not automatically make a character memorable, especially for those that just had a cup of coffee in the big leagues.