UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2011: Main Discussion Thread

im assuming commander rodgers will be debuting in the MVC3 series, since they have rights to DLC and theyve already used those rights once to make that 1st appearance ryu

ok that cap with the jacket cant be world war 2 cap, he has an avengers symbol on his arm!

Edited by undeadpool

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much caring for the Ghost versions of the RGBs. With a smaller lineup like they have I don't want it to be overpopulated by variant versions of the GBs I want to have more of the unique ghosts. Alas they keep making more minimates so I am happy.

TM2 we have never gotten a thunderstrike minimate, and the bearded thor was maybe 3 or 4 years ago and is in desperate need of an update to look presentable next to the disney set thor

Thunderstrike.

Thunderstrike-Thor.jpg

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=6232608&postcount=2

Thunderstrike.

fig0147flg.jpg

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=147&n=Bearded+Thor

Nope, sorry, we already got a Thunderstrike. It may just not have been the one you wanted. That was less than 4 years ago in wave 17. He doesn't need an update, he's fine. DST needs to stop retreading not-that-old characters and give us ones that either DO need an update, or better yet, ones that we don't have at all.

And they sure as Hell need to stop reissuing variants.

Here's what I'm gona start doing. Because DST refuses to honor their word and continually reissues variants, I'm gona take the original of ever one, melt it, and send it to DST HQ. If they're reissuing variants, why can't we get a reissue of TRU Angel/Warpath, hmm? And if you don't reissue exclusives, why do they keep ignoring that rule with variants?

They don't reissue TRUJ exclusives, variants or 1 figure out of a box set. That was the rule. So far we've gotten 4 Black Spidermen, 2 Julia Carpenters, 2 Thunderstrikes, 2 Taskmasters, on and on and on.

Either say "We've changed our minds, everything's on the table." or honor your word. I don't care which, but I'm not stupid, I can count, and I don't like liars.

I asked DST on Facebook if they will be showing new things And they replied "Diamond Select Toys Yes. We'll show new stuff at the panel on Saturday but it won't make it onto the floor afterwards."

So I guess there might be an announcement!

I know this was a WHILE back in the discussion but just for the record...

They sold TRU Minimates at C2E2 this year too. I was there. I guess we just never saw pictures and no one ever thought to bring it up before now (self included).

Same wave, the Warlock/Magik, Shatterstar/Cannonball one.

The exclusives sold out pretty early in the con. In fact I'm pretty positive that I still needed Magik/Warlock at the time and didn't get one, because I got there too late (I have one now though, so no worries).

You may be asking, "Then how did you know they had them?" Because they still had some other sets from that wave on the hook, like Wolverine and Magneto, and when I asked Chuck he said they had the exclusives earlier, but they were gone fast. :P

I know this was a WHILE back in the discussion but just for the record...

They sold TRU Minimates at C2E2 this year too. I was there. I guess we just never saw pictures and no one ever thought to bring it up before now (self included).

Same wave, the Warlock/Magik, Shatterstar/Cannonball one.

The exclusives sold out pretty early in the con. In fact I'm pretty positive that I still needed Magik/Warlock at the time and didn't get one, because I got there too late (I have one now though, so no worries).

You may be asking, "Then how did you know they had them?" Because they still had some other sets from that wave on the hook, like Wolverine and Magneto, and when I asked Chuck he said they had the exclusives earlier, but they were gone fast. :P

There were also pictures of them on their FB, and you could easily make out Warlock.

Oh so HEY... stupid question...

IS that Disney Store exclusive 4-Pack (The one that's the Fantastic Four, but not. Whatever they call themselves now, with Spider-Man) available at the con anywhere?

I know I know "Disney Store down the road" but AT the con?

I only ask because... A guy I work with is attending (Has a Booth actually. Symbiote Studios. Stop by. Buy our stuff.) and he offered to pick stuff up for me, so I gave him a list of minimate exclusives, and on that particular set I noted there was no need to go out of the way to the mall to get it, if he had no desire too. But if he could find it at the con I asked him to grab one. (If not, I imagine I'll just get it at my Disney Store once it hits wider distribution.)

So I'm wondering what the odds he'll come up with one are is all, hehe.

Just got out of the dc direct panel. They pretty much shut down the minimates conversation before anyone could ask a question.

Essentially, they said minimates didn't sell well, didn't cost out for them, and they don't anticipate revisiting them.

Same answer as last time. :|

how is that thunderstrike? i thought that was just thor with a beard, thunderstrike is Eric Masterson to me.

I think that the guy with the sleeveless jacket is intended to be Thunderstrike. (Note that he is holding Thunderstrike, not Mjolnir.) I'd bet that the bearded Thor is Eric Masterson Thor. You say potato, I say potahto. No matter how you slice it, we've never gotten Eric Masterson with Thunderstrike in his Thunderstrike costume. But I'd say TM2 is right that we've gotten bearded.EM Thor twice now. I'm not bothered by updating older variants, but I can certainly see how people that paid top dollar might be.

Edited by Turtle

Oh so HEY... stupid question...

IS that Disney Store exclusive 4-Pack (The one that's the Fantastic Four, but not. Whatever they call themselves now, with Spider-Man) available at the con anywhere?

The Disney Store exclusive is not available at the con. It's only available at the nearby Disney Store, and it won't be there until Friday. The Diamond Twitter account posted this morning that someone had gone to the store already and was told they wouldn't have it until Friday, so they're trying to warn everyone else.

Oh, and DC Direct can go suck a Blammoid for shooting down Minimates again.

Edited by boyd

Nope, sorry, we already got a Thunderstrike. It may just not have been the one you wanted. That was less than 4 years ago in wave 17. He doesn't need an update, he's fine. DST needs to stop retreading not-that-old characters and give us ones that either DO need an update, or better yet, ones that we don't have at all.

You do know how hard it's been for a lot of people to find that variant, right? And I don't think that at this point in the game anyone can expect DST to pass up the chance at making profit instead of holding to their word from years ago. They'd be stupid not to.

The TRU SDCC stuff doesn't have a limit for free shipping. If all you buy is the MVC set it is free shipping. The spend 100$ or more or whatever for free shipping is for other stuff. The SDCC stuff is free shipping period.

Edited by gambitron

how is that thunderstrike? i thought that was just thor with a beard, thunderstrike is Eric Masterson to me.

I think that the guy with the sleeveless jacket is intended to be Thunderstrike. (Note that he is holding Thunderstrike, not Mjolnir.) I'd bet that the bearded Thor is Eric Masterson Thor. You say potato, I say potahto. No matter how you slice it, we've never gotten Eric Masterson with Thunderstrike in his Thunderstrike costume. But I'd say TM2 is right that we've gotten bearded.EM Thor twice now. I'm not bothered by updating older variants, but I can certainly see how people that paid top dollar might be.

i know that the guy with the jacket is eric, thats what i was saying, i just didn realize that the bearded thor with the mask was also eric

You do know how hard it's been for a lot of people to find that variant, right?

Sorry to sound heartless, but that is not my problem.*

And I don't think that at this point in the game anyone can expect DST to pass up the chance at making profit instead of holding to their word from years ago. They'd be stupid not to.

I expect them to. If they want to make money, fine, I don't hold that against them. In fact, I encourage it. More Minimates are always a great thing. But they need to say that they've changed their policy. Otherwise it makes them look like liars and me like a raving lunatic. Well, more of one anyways. :P

Sorry, I take a hardline Kantian stance on this issue.

*That being said, if anyone still needs one, I will help you find one.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I don't see how you could look at Eric Masterson Thor next to the latest classic Thor and think it didn't need an update. The new one is far superior. But that's just gravy on top of the actual Thunderstrike costume. I was hoping DST was going to be able to deliver both him and Beta Ray Bill and they came through.

TM2 we have never gotten a thunderstrike minimate, and the bearded thor was maybe 3 or 4 years ago and is in desperate need of an update to look presentable next to the disney set thor

Thunderstrike.

Thunderstrike-Thor.jpg

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=6232608&postcount=2

Thunderstrike.

fig0147flg.jpg

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=147&n=Bearded+Thor

Nope, sorry, we already got a Thunderstrike.

Nope. Try again. This is Thunderstrike:

Thunderstrike-Shades.jpg

Those other two are Thor. Just look at the hammer, the cape, the helmet, whatever. Totally different design. It's like complaining about getting a War Machine because we've already got an Iron Man. They're totally different characters.

Now, if you're angry that they're rereleasing another bearded Thor after making him a variant years ago, that's a horse of a different color. In that case, I totally understand where you're coming from.

You do know how hard it's been for a lot of people to find that variant, right?

Sorry to sound heartless, but that is not my problem.*

And I don't think that at this point in the game anyone can expect DST to pass up the chance at making profit instead of holding to their word from years ago. They'd be stupid not to.

I expect them to. If they want to make money, fine, I don't hold that against them. In fact, I encourage it. More Minimates are always a great thing. But they need to say that they've changed their policy. Otherwise it makes them look like liars and me like a raving lunatic. Well, more of one anyways. :P

Sorry, I take a hardline Kantian stance on this issue.

*That being said, if anyone still needs one, I will help you find one.

I may be wrong, but I think they have said that they would not rerelease the same exact figure, meaning same tampos, parts, accessories, etc... and in this case, i think the thunderstrike looks 1000% better than the original one. new cape, new helmet, new face tampo, newer hammer, new boots, and no bulky chest (which i hate on the original thor too). so it may be the same character, but an entirely new, and much better looking figure. i am glad they are redoing these guys. the other redos are all different too i think, with some just having minor changes. maybe the same character, but still not the same exact figure.

to me, this does not make them liars, but maybe a bit sneaky for finding a loophole.

on a more personal note, why are you so mad at this? is it about making them possibly less valuable? or are there other characters you really want more of? or something else entirely?

there are a handful of guys i have wanted them to make since day one, and all i can do is hope they eventually get made.

Eric Masterson has had two different super-hero personas. He has at different times appeared as Thor for various reasons: shared life-force, the real Thor was banished, whatever. Later, after Eric was deemed awesome enough, Odin created and gave to him the Thunderstrike mace. Eric, not being particularly creative, just named himself Thunderstrike. Thunderstrike has slightly different powers than Mjolnir. So, again, whether bearded Thor is Thor or is Eric Masterson is a matter of semantics. Thunderstrike, though, we have never gotten. Calling bearded Thor Thunderstrike, imo, is like calling this guy Scorpion. Same character, yeah, but neither is really a substitute for the other.

to me, this does not make them liars, but maybe a bit sneaky for finding a loophole.

Much agreed. With just about all of your post, but this part in particular.

Edited by Turtle

Nope. Try again. This is Thunderstrike:

*snip*

Those other two are Thor. Just look at the hammer, the cape, the helmet, whatever. Totally different design. It's like complaining about getting a War Machine because we've already got an Iron Man. They're totally different characters.

Now, if you're angry that they're rereleasing another bearded Thor after making him a variant years ago, that's a horse of a different color. In that case, I totally understand where you're coming from.

Nope, sorry. Wrong.

thunder1cargone.jpg

Thunderstrike, wave 17 costume. From Thunderstrike #1. Now, you could argue that wave 17 Thunderstrike came with the wrong weapon, but that would be a horse of a different color. ;)

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Yeah, that's Eric after he was given Thunderstrike, so he is indeed Thunderstrike in that pic.

Here: http://www.zedsjoesite.com/fun/thorline/1749_4_433.jpg

That's Eric Masterson as Thor- shared life-force, blah blah blah. That is from BEFORE he was given Thunderstrike and took up that mantle. Like I said, though, it's largely a matter of semantics. Either way, it's Eric Masterson, and either way we're about to get bearded Thor/Eric Masterson/the future Thunderstrike #2. And either way, it is a sly trick to re-release that character in that costume... and it makes TM2 want to MEGA RAGE!!!!!

And undeadpool, I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know who Eric Masterson was. Only that these have been labeled Eric Masterson Thor and Thunderstrike for a reason.

Edited by Turtle