UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Unmade Variants

Mirymate

2099 was a lot of fun... until late in the second year, when the initial group of writers started moving on to other projects. None of the second wave really of guys could keep up the feel and flow of the books going and it eventually flamed out. And then, for reasons I've never been sure of, they decided to kill the timeline in 2099: World of Tomorrow, and salt the earth so no other stories could be told there.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larger, more apelike. Certainly makes more since than going feline. I like it... except the chin... not sure what's happening there.

The premise of All New X-Men is that the original 5 X-Men (Beast, Iceman, Cyclops, Angel, and Jean) are brought into the present.

I'm still confused. The original 5 come to the present and co-exist with modern versions of themselves? So is that a picture of original Beast helping out modern Beast?

Larger, more apelike. Certainly makes more since than going feline. I like it... except the chin... not sure what's happening there.

The chin reminds me more of his "brute" incarnation in Mutant X. And I'm holding out judgement, as somehow Immomen always seems to draw a heavy shadow on Beast's head, so I don't really know what his new look looks like in full sunlight.

The premise of All New X-Men is that the original 5 X-Men (Beast, Iceman, Cyclops, Angel, and Jean) are brought into the present.

I'm still confused. The original 5 come to the present and co-exist with modern versions of themselves? So is that a picture of original Beast helping out modern Beast?

Yep. Not sure how long this will last, whether these X-kids will be sent home eventually. Hank brought them forward in time to torture modern Cyclops, to show modern Scott just how far from "the dream" he has strayed.

While they were here, Hank's body became unstable again and Cat-Beast slipped into a coma. Young Jean linked the two Hank's minds to find a solution, young Hank spotted a math error in Hank's original mutation formula calculations (guessing they mean the one that turned him blue and furry in the first place) and between the two of them they saved old Hank's life and stabilized old Hank's mutation.

The sooner they mind-wipe the originals and send them home, the better. X-continuity is messy enough as it is without these 5 setting up camp in the modern 616.

I'm worried that some of them, or at least Jean, will end up staying no here.

Yeah, I actually really liked Morrison and Quitely's redesign of Beast into his cat form, visually and conceptually. I liked Cassaday's interpretation of it less – he started looking less lion-ey and more like a Fancy Feast commercial. After that, I liked it less with every artist's interpretation who fought against the original intent of the cat mutation and tried to force it into a "he's still a cat, but just sort of a monkey-cat thing" direction.

I guess the need/rationale for the cat concept has come and gone, and it's time to go back to old Beast. I'm not a huge fan of the "let's just make him look like a crazy monster to do something different" look, but whatchagonnado.

He's become quite ape-like again. He's got those long finger-toes... it's just that his head is a bit pointy for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if his Jim Lee era hair starts to 'grow back' as different artists start to interprit his new look.

Edited by Nessex

You know my mind. Hated Cat-Beast from DAY ONE. Deeply offended by the reasons for the change in the first place. The more time we got way from Quiely's initial run, the further from that design we've moved. These last couple years the only thing Cat that remained was the muzzle, ears, and longer fur. Still never liked it. Glad it's gone.

And, like Cat-Beast, I'm sure than within a year or so this look will tweak back into something resembling Beast's "normal" blue furry form as well. But at least the darn muzzle is gone.

Ah... actual variants! I need to update that main list this afternoon. Can you guys give me a hand and list out everybody you can think of that has received a mate worthy new costume during Marvel Now? I am still behind on my reading. (and with Borders and BAM gone locally, I've lost my free reading rooms)

I know Hulk as a SHIELD agent, Thor's ditched his under-armor, and it looks like Magneto's in white now too.

Does this include characters who have yet to receive a Minimates at all (Rocket Raccoon) ?

And how are we defining 'worthy' of a new 'mate? I assume it'll be some kind of contest involving hammers?

Assuming that we are keeping it to variant of characters who have minimates already, here's another list for your consideration:

Rogue

Scarlet Witch

Havok

Cable

Storm (with a much bigger mohark this time)

FF She-Hulk

FF Ant-Man

Perhaps some of the 'less cool' variants include:

Colossus

Domino

Psylocke

Puck

Cluster (Does a female version of Fantomex count?)

Bishop

'New' Beast

Uncanny X-Force, Cables X-Force & FF all seem to have team uniforms, or at least.... similar design themes running through each teams customes. This might make them more box-set worthy? Although - i have to say i'm not a fan of a lot of the new costumes... not even Cables. But i do want that huge, angular, cyborg arm to get made.

Hulk for sure. Also, the new Uncanny X-Force: Puck, Storm, Psylocke, Bishop. Deadpool has a new costume too (though it's not necessarily warranted a release :D) FF costume Scott Lang and She-Hulk. Thor has three looks in his book: Old and dying, modern, and young. I'm sure there's more too.